1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Toyota pitman arm

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
Toyota pitman arm

I was wanting to find out if anyone can tell me what the torque specs are for the pitman shaft nut? Also I would like to know how the set screw nut is installed on the universal joint where it attaches to the steerting box. Does it just screw in until it locks against the steering shaft? I just about have my truck done.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:05 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Is the steering shaft a DD shape or round? I'll assume DD if it uses set screws. I would blacken the shaft on the flats with a permanent ink marker like a Sharpie or Marks-a-lot and tighten the set screws against the shaft, then back them out and remove the U joint. Centerpunch the mark(s) the setscrew(s) left on the shaft and drill a dimple one size larger than the set screw diameter just deep enough that a flat wall starts to develop in the hole above the tapered bottom. If it is going together near permanently, use a drop of red locktite on the setscrew threads when re-installing. Same with the pitman arm nut a couple drops red locktite on the threads and torque to about 100 ft#s or about as tight as you can get it by hand with a 16" breaker bar on the socket.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
The set screw I am talking about goes into the end of the universal joint that is attaching to the steering box shaft.

Old 06-13-2010, 12:21 AM
55f100tx
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the steering box shaft is splined, the u joint is splined on the steering box end correct? if so slide it on and lock her down.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:49 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
There are two end on the U joint, the splined end that goes on the input shaft of the box, and the end that goes on the steering column shaft. There are basically 2 different configurations for that end, a round hole for a round shaft and a double D (DD) for a round shaft with 2 flat sides. The round hole one is usually considered to be a "weld" type and does not usually have set screws and is plain (weldable) steel. The DD type is considered to be a detachable type and will have 1 or 2 set screws (one against each flat side of the shaft) and be made of plain steel or stainless steel. If you have the round hole type with a set screw I would modify it for a hardened thru bolt, weld it, or exchange or replace it with a DD. A DD shaft will not slip, nor will the splined end, but I dimple my shaft for the set screw(s) (as above) to prevent the shaft from sliding out of the U joint for extra security.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:55 AM
Pappys53
Laughing Gas
Mine was the round shaft and a friend of mine welded it on. I was referring to the splined end. I noticed that the input shaft had a small smooth groove between the splines. When I installed the joint it slide all the way down and covered the groove. I since raised it a little since that put the end of the input shaft up against the flex point of the joint. The set screw is now in the groove. Is this correct. Here are some pictures

Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Sounds right, the ends of the shafts should not sit against trunion in center of joint to prevent binding.