1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Weird Brake Troubles...need opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 11:25 AM
tdhixon
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weird Brake Troubles...need opinions

My '06 Expedition has been having some brake issues. It all started with what seemed to be warped rotors. I changed out the rotors and pads, and everything was fine for about 2 months, then it started feeling like warped rotors again.
I did'nt have time to fool with it, so I took it to a local shop. They blamed it on warped rotors, and turned them. Gave the car back, with the same symptoms. I took it to another shop, and had them replace the rotors. No luck, same symptoms.

Symptoms are as follows: vibration in steering wheel from about 60 down to about 40 mph when decelerating. Is there anything, specific to an expedition that I need to look for? Oh yeah, the second shop discovered that the first shop had left off the caliper clip on the passenger side. Could this have damaged the caliper? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Travis

Old 06-01-2010, 01:25 PM
RedHorse1
Senior User
Rotate the tires to see if the problem is related to tire/wheel (bent wheel, out of ballance, tire out of round, knots on a tire). ABS sensor faulty (don't know how to diagnose that)? Worn suspension parts? 2WD or 4WD? If 4WD then maybe something in the front drive.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:36 PM
tdhixon
New User
Thanks for the response Redhorse.

I should have given more info. Its a 2 wheel drive. The tires were balanced, and rotated when the new rotors when installed. I even had them check the alignment. I haven't jacked it up yet to check for work joiints, or bad suspension, but the shop says they couldn't find anything. I'm stumped. I thought about the ABS, but wouldn't it throw a code?

Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
alloro
Received 4,242 Likes on 2,473 Posts
Originally Posted by tdhixon
vibration in steering wheel from about 60 down to about 40 mph when decelerating.
Is that only when applying the brakes or does it do this also when coasting down to slower speeds?

Old 06-01-2010, 03:02 PM
tdhixon
New User
Alloro,

It can only be felt when applying the brakes. Its smooth as a babies butt accelerating, or slowing while coasting without the brakes applied.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM
RedHorse1
Senior User
Do you feel the vibration through the brake pedal as well? If just through the steering wheel then I'd think suspension.
Odd that the problem went away for a couple of months after you changed rotors and pads the first time.
Dunno about the ABS throwing codes. There's smarter folks than me than can chime in on that.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 PM
tdhixon
New User
Redhorse,

You definitely feel it in the pedal. You can also feel a slight, slow pulse at a very low rate of speed as you slow to a stop. Kind of like the brakes are grabbing, and then slipping. I had the shop check the rear rotors, and they swear they're withing spec. The only other thing I could think of is the front pads. I went with ceramic pads.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:31 PM
alloro
Received 4,242 Likes on 2,473 Posts
Examine the ABS exciter ring teeth at each of the two front wheels to see if one of them is missing a tooth. I suspect that you're going to find that one of them is damaged.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:35 PM
RedHorse1
Senior User
Wow, the slow pulse at low speed sure sounds like warped rotors. Maybe check the runout yourself (you know, "If you want anything done right..."). A dial guage with a magnetic foot from HF would probably tell you enough about warp (low $$ investment too). I have ceramic pads myself but only for the last month. I have heard nothing but good news regarding ceramic.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:53 PM
tdhixon
New User
Thanks for the advice guys. I plan on checking it tonight.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:25 PM
99ExpyProblems
Posting Guru
What strikes me is that you said it was fine until 2 months later. The #1 problem I run into at these fly by night tire/brake/oil change/rotation shops is that they all use pneumatic tools that aren't calibrated to put your tires back on. You hear this reeeeeer reerrrrrr clackityclackity click click click click click on each lug nut.

They are wrenching the $%*& out of your lug nuts and likely causing them to warp permanently. When this happens, there is no amount of turning the rotors that will fix them. They are done. New ones will be needed.

*******edit* I see where they were replaced 2x, so I guess this is a rant! Do you notice it at all speeds? Like is it a slight vibration at 30 or none at all?**********

Best case is you can try and retorque to proper specs and see if it goes away. The others have some good ideas. This is just my guess/rant!

Old 06-10-2010, 11:49 AM
gzimmer
Freshman User
I could not have described my problem any better than tdhixon... and last night I had a flat tire and asked the shop to rotate the tires as long as they had the vehicle up. They did and the problem is gone. I've had 3 sets of rotors in the last 30,000 miles - hearing what tdhixon said each time.

I've been told it is a Ford issue on the Expeditions - the exteme heat. Not sure if that is bull or not.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 PM
deanjet
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow, I have a 2000 Expy with over 100,000 on the original rotors. I plow through deep standing water all the time. Never had a warped rotor; I am getting ready to throw another set of pads on the original rotors.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Gevans17
Posting Guru
wobbly front end

check to see that bearing retaining nut is not loose, then torque the lug nuts.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:28 AM
trsimmons25
Senior User
To avoid warped rotors in the future make sure every time your expy is in the shop requset them to hand torque the lugs to factory specs. Most shops dont, but will if they are asked to, make sure you watch them also to make sure they dont forget.

Quick Reply: Weird Brake Troubles...need opinions