1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

generator to alternator

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 05:56 PM
61fordf25
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
generator to alternator

I have a generator in my 61 f250 with a 292 and i want to replace the gen with an alternator, will the bracket that holds my gen hold an alternator too? what do i need? thanks, erik

Old 05-29-2010, 06:43 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts
An alternator will not mount directly to the bracket. You can make one fit with a piece of all-thread rod, 2 pieces of flat stock at least 1/8" thick, some washers, and nuts.
Simplified instructions:
Fit the all thread through your existing bracket, drill the flat stock to fit the all thread on one end and to fit the alternator bolt on the other, use a stack of washers to get them spaced out properly.

I ran with that for many years. I don't have a good picture of it. You can barely see it here:

If you're the fabricating type, you can modify your existing brackets.

If you're the purchasing type, John Mummert in California makes a nice cast aluminum bracket. It is for a Delco, though.

It is the one I'm using now. Again, I don't have a good picture of it. It positions the alternator closer to the engine. I like it.

L.D. Becker Antique Auto Electric in Norwalk, Oh advertised in Y-Block Magazine months ago with a conversion kit. I don't know anything about it first hand.
And if you search the web, there are other brackets out there.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:42 PM
flipklos
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used a short length of 1/2" black pipe, some washers and a GM 1 wire on my 64. The original bolt is a bit large so I simply hogged out the hole with a drill press. I needed a different belt as well.

I priced the murrmett piece. $70. I want one and will eventualy pay for it but right now that is a bit high for me.

I would recomend the GM one wire BTW. They are cheep as heck and very durable with great amp output. Some things I think chebby just did best and this is one of them.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:36 PM
redbeard_trucks
Junior User
may i ask how you determined your new belt size?

thanks

Old 06-21-2010, 03:39 PM
redbeard_trucks
Junior User
after searching the web all afternoon, I came up with this site, which has adapter brackets to mount an alternator in place of the generator.

someone claimed the A265 worked on their truck....

ALTERNATOR ADAPTER BRACKETS, alternator brackets, generator to alternator brackets

I'm going to buy one of these with a one-wire alternator and see how that works out.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:48 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by redbeard_trucks
may i ask how you determined your new belt size?

thanks
First, determine if it needs to be longer or shorter, then go to the store, and get several belts that satisfy the requirement. Use the one which fits best, return the rest.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:46 PM
WebMonkey
New User
i have to replace the genny on my wife's 64 f100 w/292 due to installing air conditioning.

the brackets require a gm 10si or 12si.

do i want a 3 wire or 1 wire? if 1 wire, the "facing" won't matter but i have to mount the alternator upside down (would need a 9:00 3 wire).

obviously the existing regulator isn't needed but do i need "anything else" to drop an alternator in her truck?

thanks!

Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 PM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
3 wire or 1 wire is really a matter of personal preference. I use a 1 wire and I like it. There is no idiot light but it's not really needed with a volt meter in place.

I have to take back my previous statement. I've recently learned that there are alternators designed to fit the stock generator brackets made by Powermaster. However, be prepared to spend about 4 times the equal "normal" alternator. They do look like generators so if it's a look you're after, it might be worth it.

Old 07-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Bill W
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by flipklos
I priced the murrmett piece. $70. I want one and will eventualy pay for it but right now that is a bit high for me.

Better save another 20 before you order they are now 90 bucks!!

Old 07-15-2010, 07:05 AM
WebMonkey
New User
Originally Posted by WebMonkey
i have to replace the genny on my wife's 64 f100 w/292 due to installing air conditioning.

the brackets require a gm 10si or 12si.

do i want a 3 wire or 1 wire? if 1 wire, the "facing" won't matter but i have to mount the alternator upside down (would need a 9:00 3 wire).

obviously the existing regulator isn't needed but do i need "anything else" to drop an alternator in her truck?

thanks!
i should have been a little clearer
the air conditioning system came with custom brackets for the y-block 292.
the brackets mount BOTH the new compressor AND an alternator.
the "kit" did not allow for using the old generator at all.

so i've got to "upgrade" to a gm 10si or 12si alternator due to the requirements of the mounting brackets. (marked on the installation instructions/diagram)

i'm trying to figure out the difference in my choices of the 3 wire or 1 wire alternator and where does the "output" from the regulated alternator enter back into the truck's electrical system.

thanks all!

Old 07-16-2010, 04:21 AM
Old_Crow
Laughing Gas
It's not just the requirements of the mounting brackets. That old genny won't keep up with the electrical demands of the a/c compressor and blower motor. We tried that in an old Mercury with a Vintage Air system and ended up going with a GM one wire setup.
We also rewired the whole car at the same time with a custom harness set up for the one wire alt, so I can't speak to the modifications necessary to the old harness.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:40 AM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
All you do is run the wire to the positive side of the starter solenoid. Nothing special has to be done for a one wire.

Old 07-16-2010, 07:15 AM
WebMonkey
New User
'preciate the insight.

was looking at the one wire for simplicity but would like to have the "gen" light function on the dashboard. (no ammeter or voltmeter in truck)

Old 07-16-2010, 07:39 AM
charliemccraney
Cargo Master
RE the light, last night I was looking at Ron Francis Wiring, and they have a product that turns on a light if voltage drops below 11v. They say it will work with a 1 wire alternator.
I've heard that some 1 wire alternators have an additional connection for a light.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:58 AM
WebMonkey
New User
thanks again.
seems there are a couple options at least.

guess now my biggest concern is that everything will "line up" on the v-belt train.

Quick Reply: generator to alternator