Modular V10 (6.8l)  
View Poll Results: How was your experience with your 5-star tunes?
GREAT - best thing I ever did!
89.17%
OK - not as much as an improvement as I thought
10.83%
Had a problem - but it was taken care of quickly
0%
Had a problem - not happy how it turned out
2.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

The official "I like Mike" thread - Mike at 5-star

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 04:04 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Packrat Super duty
I've had the X3 for about 5 months now. Love it. I'm using 87 econo, at present, and it is working nicely. I also have the 87 tow, and 87 perf.

I have developed a manifold exhaust leak,(passenger side) While doing price comparisons between a new manifold and headers, for a few extra bucks in installation costs. I could lean towards going to headers. ( a pair of headers is cheaper than one manifold) So I'm thinking of going with Gibson shorty's.

So I have some questions.

1. Will this change effect the current tunes that I have with the mods already in place?

2. Is it worth going with headers, or should I just stay with the manifold?

3. Are Gibson Shorty's a good product to go with?

I have the Airaid, CAI, Power Aid Throttle body spacer, modified Y pipe and Flomaster 3" ehaust. No cat.
go headers either brand and dont look back. email me if you have other questions

Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 PM
truckinforever
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm pulling the trigger and getting a Livewire tuner from Mike on friday. I can't wait to see the difference in power from stock. Maybe I'll even pickup some mpgs. I'll post again after having it for awhile.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:00 PM
pappy19
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mike-

For the first time, on your 89/Tow/Performance setting, I "loaded" the brake on tow/haul and smoked the tires. Unreal!! The added power on your 5-Star programs are so much better than I expected, many thanks. You are the V-10 man!!

Pap

Old 12-26-2011, 02:19 PM
RWG78
Junior User

Even though I've posted here before about the great service and product from Mike, I've got to share my latest. I just received tunes for my 09 F350 V10 from Mike today. The first thing I did was go and fill her up with 93 octane and installed the 93 perf/tow tune. All I can say is WOW! I would loved to have seen the looks on the peoples faces at the gas station when that thing lit up the rear tires and just kept spinning them. Good thing I've got new tires on order for it. I'm going to have to exercise self control when those go on. Great work and service again Mike!

Old 12-26-2011, 02:39 PM
vardashan
Junior User
Single best improvement I have made to my truck. I tow almost exclusively on the 91 perf/tow tune from Mike. Power is better. Trans is better. Overall tow experience is dramatically better. Why Ford didn't tune the truck similar to how Mike has his 87 tune, I will never know. Ford would have sold a boatload more of the V-10's. I just loaded up the .1 rev of the 91 tune he sent me via email and can't wait to try it out!

-CC

Old 12-26-2011, 02:45 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
Thanks again guys, got to love these V10 motors

Old 12-26-2011, 06:19 PM
ocboat
Senior User
I also have to chime in about my experience with Mike. I called late his time on Thursday evening to ask him some questions about ordering and shipping times. I was hoping to receive the tuner by Tuesday of this week so I could try it out on an upcoming trip but because of the holiday I was not expecting that this would be possible. Not only was he able to get it here by Tuesday, it was on my doorstep by noon on Saturday. Thanks again Mike for the great service.

Old 01-01-2012, 10:53 PM
jspringator
Senior User
Tested my 2 new tow tunes and Y pipe on my Excursion V-10 towing a 33 foot travel trailer this past week. It made a huge difference in performance. With the 93 tow I could maintain 70-75 fairly easily. When I checked my mileage I discovered I was getting a little over 6! I then switched to my 87 tow and lowered my speed to 65. I would go a little lower on hills but not usually more than 62. Much more relaxing tow, and really fast enough given my load. With this tune and strategy I got 8.1 mpg. I had a little trouble through the mountains because it was so windy I couldn't maintain speed. Next trip I'll run my 93 tune through the mountains and switch to my 89 for normal terrain. Overall, a huge improvement.

Old 01-04-2012, 03:08 PM
wotw2e
New User
Just added the 5 star tune to my Excursion last night. Seat of the pants is "wow". Hard to believe Ford left that much on the table. I have a 2000 w/4.30s, JBA headers, FM exhaust, intake, etc. I have always kept up on the maintenance and performance items. I was mostly after the better shift strategies not figuring performance would be increased THAT much. Boy was I wrong.

Ran the 87 tow tune first, now it is shifting where I always thought it should have. Even with no load, the truck felt...it is hard to describe...I guess it felt like it lost a couple thousand pounds. Then switched over to econo, great through town, quick up shifts just putt-putting around but then has excellent shift points when the throttle is mashed. Very, Very cool.

Great customer service too! Thanks Mike.

Old 01-04-2012, 06:45 PM
5 Star Tuning
Former Vendor
thank you , dont have too much funny dragging those boats around

Old 01-29-2012, 10:18 AM
redbull660
Senior User
Is there much difference in fuel economy from the 87 economy tune vs the 87 tow performance tune. I normally only tow about 4000 pounds, my 2 snowmobiles and an aluminum trailer. From your experience with only towing 4000 pounds or running empty would it be more economical to run stock or the 87 economy setting or the 87 tow performance tune. Thanks

Old 02-04-2012, 08:48 PM
ajkelly
Freshman User
Lets Talk Customer Service

I'll start off with a contrast to my experience with Mike. I'll try to keep it short. Ordered a 2012 F550 Chassis Cab F550 V10. The upfitter mounted the wrong tool box under the bed sides. They agreed when I pointed it out. New ones will be ordered, s/b a few days they stated. Two weeks go by and nothing is heard. I contact them to see whats up several times after the two week period. It takes them 8 days to give me a real response.

Ok, now to Mike. I called him Thursday. He actually answers the phone. He took the time to listen to all of my questions and describes what would be best for my situation. I ordered over the phone at the same time. Saturday comes and it arrives. I acquire my strategy code and call him. It's now 30 minutes before his business day ends on Saturday. He not only picked up the phone, he supplied my tune to me in less than 2 hours. I was originally thinking I'll get it Monday when business hours start again.

Everything worked, the truck drove great with the tune. I decided to shoot Mike an e-mail at 8:00pm saying thanks and posed a few questions to him. Once again thinking next week for a reply. Surprisingly, in fourteen minutes he replied. He not only spoke to my questions. He made reference to information I gave him verbally in our earlier converastions. This speaks volumes that he truely listens to the customers situation and needs.

Similar to the other comments in this tread. Mike is setting the bar for great customer service!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:42 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,394 Likes on 1,103 Posts
Originally Posted by ajkelly
Similar to the other comments in this tread. Mike is setting the bar for great customer service!

It seems he's pretty much put that bar out of reach for a lot in business---by all means keep up the good work coz it pays nothing but dividends now and in the future!

Old 02-05-2012, 02:41 PM
cruzerjd
New User
Received mine friday. instantly installed the 87 performance tune and took it for a spin. Shift points are firmed up, acceleration is better and overall drivability is increased. Will be loading the 89 tune next. Filled the tank friday. With stock computer settings i pulled 9.96 mpg in 90/10 city vs highway driving. looking to compare with the 87 and 89 performance tunes to see if there is a significant increase. Performance wise i am very pleased.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:46 PM
redbull660
Senior User
Has anyone with the automatic transmissons changed there shift pressures? I was looking at my tuner and it shows in the "shift" options a 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, etc... How does this work and which one do you change? Is it for individual gears? Guess I might hav to call Mike on Monday.

Quick Reply: The official "I like Mike" thread - Mike at 5-star