Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 F350 7.5L - Banks vs. Flowmaster?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM
IcutMetl
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 F350 7.5L - Banks vs. Flowmaster?

I have a recently bought 1997 F350 single rear wheel 4x4 off-road, 3:55 ratio, 5 speed 7.5l gasser. It currently has the air intake silencer mod done and a no-cat exhaust with dual 2.5" running into a 2 into 1 crappy car-style wrapped muffler and 3" back from there. The exhaust was done within 1000 miles before I purchased the truck, and I've only put maybe another 1500 on it since. This is a second vehicle for me that does not see daily use; I bought it in near pristine shape, and it still doesn't even have 18,200 original miles. Used to tow boat, atv, and snowmobile, trips to Home Depot, and just for fun.

I like the look of the big single exhaust pipe, and I do love that Flowmaster sound. Had true-dual 50 series on my 95 f150 4x4 393 stroker, buddies have had them as well on 8.1's, 350's, 383's, etc. However, I do know that the Banks systems are pretty highly regarded, weather it be the Stinger system or the complete Power Pack, and they seem to back it up with some pretty good gains.

"Option A" is to have a local shop remove my current muffler, and fab in a y-pipe with a 3" Flowmaster 50-SUV muffler, and keep as much of my current system as possible. Add a K&N AirCharger filter kit myself. All of this together, I imagine costing somewhere in the $400 - $500 range. I could always add in the Banks headers at some point down the road if I wanted and have them patched right into this system. I don't want this beast to set off car alarms like my F150 did with the 393 and duals, but the 50 series SUV is one of Flowmaster's quieter mufflers...and it won't take much to make this thing sound better, especially being an open exhaust with a manual tranny.

"Option B" is to order the Banks Stinger system out of Summit for around $580 - $600. Comes with a K&N filter and their modified lid, plus a single 3" "cat back" exhaust with dynaflow muffer; all stainless. I would still have to buy a stainless Y-pipe, but this is clamp-together and I can do it myself. Banks dynoed this combo at +40hp and +58ft/lb torque at the rear wheels on a F350 with 7.5L. With the Y-pipe and shipping, I would expect to pay $650 - $700. Could also add the headers down the road. Have never heard a Banks gas muffler in person, not quite certain how I feel about a clamp together system, but it is well engineered and stainless with a life time warranty.

So...do I save the cabbage with option A and expect similar performance gains at the cost of some durability over time, or do I go option B and blow some coin on a premium engineered system?

Sorry for the long post; appreciate the help!!

Last edited by IcutMetl; 05-25-2010 at 09:22 PM. Reason: to add picture
Old 05-25-2010, 09:11 PM
cyclegrip
Senior User
I have nothing to add about the 7.5L but my dad had, it seems like, one of the first systems on his 2002 F250 7.3L. He got the 4" monster exhaust and it was really easy to put together and install in an afternoon. Really quality stuff.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 PM
IcutMetl
Senior User
Yea my buddy has a 99 Crew cab long bed 4x4 with the PSD and a host of Banks goodies on it; turbo, exhaust, programmer, gage pod, etc., and is very happy with it as well. Certainly don't doubt the quality, but "is the juice worth the squeeze" so to speak? Would be curious to hear how this combo sounds on the big motor and to know how my "option a" would compare with performance wise.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,172 Likes on 926 Posts
I think you will see very little gain on either option. At this point it is a matter of personal choice for the sound you want to have. The factory cat is well known to be a bottle neck. If the y-pipe for the 7.5L is anything like the 5.0/5.8L version that is another well documented "flow stopper". With the exhaust you already have that issue has already been addressed too.

If you want a different sound go with the Flowmaster and save your coin for another project.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:52 PM
IcutMetl
Senior User
Thank you for your input. I don't expect to build a race motor from bolt-ons, just want to make sure I get the most for my money. The engine is so pristine looking still that I'm opposed to opening anything up internally...like rolled off the dealer floor not too long ago clean. The cat is already gone (before I bought it), and the Y-pipe I'm considering is either the Flowmaster model, or one of the stamped/formed style rather than the restrictive bent-exhaust-pipe Y. I think either way, I would see an increase in efficency and power thru a freer flowing muffler with a bigger volume can. Really, the biggest difference between the two is the muffler; what kind of snake oil does Banks put in theirs that makes it that much better??

Old 05-25-2010, 10:18 PM
littlehusky
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Banks system works on these trucks
I would never put a flowless master on any vehicle i ever own.
I guess they're great if you want a muffler thats loud, sounds like crap, and really doesnt perform like it claims at all.
I would still choose a cherry bomb if that was what i was going for.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 PM
rscotth
Freshman User
You are basically looking for flow at this point and the Banks system is pricey but far superior to just replacing the muffler. I have always loved the sound of the Flomasters and always will but there are better flowing mufflers out there. I really like the Dynomax welded "ultraflows" and they are a straight through design.
Ever think about dumping the 2 into one and finishing the exhaust with a true dual all the way out? While I was there i would also add a balance tube (H or X pipe) and you would flow better than any single 3" design and save what you have leftover from that $600.00 and use it elsewhere.

I noticed you said: "dual 2.5" running into a 2 into 1 crappy car-style wrapped muffler and 3" back from there". Usually those mufflers are typically single 3" in and dual out. I'm not sure if that would kill flow/power if installed backwards. I bought one of those Flowmasters and it had stickers for flow direction but once the stickers were gone it would be a guessing game. Just an observation.........

Muffler Flow Tests

Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 984 Likes on 776 Posts
I had both a Super44 and 50 SUV on my truck and there was almost no difference in sound level.. they were both too damn loud and noisy and seemed to have that same "Blat" sound. I currently have a custom built muffler that is basically the same as the Magnaflow straight through design and it is quieter and mellower while still sounding powerful, the damping material inside takes the edge off but also allows the exhaust to flow. No more chambered mufflers for me.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:33 PM
IcutMetl
Senior User
I would not be surprised if it was a single 3" in and dual 2.5" out just flipped backwards; I have thought of that already, and if it is I'm sure it's not helping what so ever.

I have always liked Flowmasters as well and know that they are a "good" muffler, but can't help but be objective by thinking that there are "better". It would appear that for as many different varieties they offer, sound seems to be the big focus. Sound is cool, but I'm a function over form guy. I tend to over-anylize things, and am sure any good muffler would sound awesome on this motor/truck.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:14 AM
TexasGuy001
Hotshot
Received 207 Likes on 167 Posts
Thats an awesome looking truck!

My vote goes for Magnaflow or Dynomax mufflers or long glass packs on a gasser.

Chambered mufflers like slowmaster suck. They just exagerate the sound, resonate/drone inside the vehicle, and sound hollow. Straight through for the win.

I noticed the kit from Summit comes with KN. Stay away from that as well. All those simple bolt ons like CAI, TB spacers, chips, etc are a waste of money and are worthless.

Your right, its pretty hard to make a 460 sound bad.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:31 AM
littlehusky
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intake and exhaust are 2 of the bigger gains you'll get on SD 7.5's

Old 05-26-2010, 09:47 PM
IcutMetl
Senior User
Cool; thanks guys, I appreciate your input! I certainly don't mind paying good money for good products (like the Banks system), but can't help but wonder if I could get the same or very close performance out of another option for less money.

I love a good sounding v8 just like the next guy; and even though my truck isn't a daily driver, I don't want it to be obnoxious enough to be labeled the neighborhood jackass with the cackling exhaust...haha. While I've always liked Flowmasters...and dig the sound, definitely open to something else. Come to think of it, every Flowmaster I've had or that my friends have had have rusted out right where the inlets/outlets meet the muffler body.

Seems as if the Dynomax Ultra Flo welded muffler and Hooker Max Flow mufflers are both straight thru style and are rated to flow much more than darn near everything else out there on the market, which I'm sure would help a big block with a single 3". Plus, at about 2/3 the price of a Flowmaster or similar. What do you guys think about these cans? Could probably have one of these mufflers set up for under $300 bones. Any other recommendations?

What's the general consensus on pipe size for a big v8? I have the dual 2.5's in right now and single 3" w/o cat all the way back. I'm sure it will be even better with a REAL muffler. Is 3" enough for a 460? Don't want to kill every bit of backpressure, but just curious. I have heard that 3" single pipe is good for 300-400hp and I know my engine is well within that bone stock.

Went into a 4 Wheel Parts store in Cleveland today to get some Husky fitted floormats...what a cool store! In my younger years, I could see myself blowing much more money there!

Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
3" is plenty for your application. Take a look at the Magnaflow products. I have been very happy with them.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:40 PM
IcutMetl
Senior User
I have been on Magnaflow's website; they have a 7" round, long body muffler with single 3" / dual 2.5" that I think I could piece right in w/o using a y-pipe- Magnaflow says they're reversible. Pricey muffler at $169, but I could fit it in there and either clamp or weld it myself and save cost of installation & spare parts.

When you guys fit a stainless muffler onto standard aluminized pipe, do you prefer to weld or clamp? You can weld with standard or s.s. wire, but of course the weld and local area won't retain stainless quality, which isn't really a biggie. Suppose if you weld it in, it would be hard to remove for a warranty claim if ever needed.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:07 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
There are several online dealers for Magnaflow. Jegs and Summit come to mind. I did a quick search and found similar listings for ~$110.

When I installed my stainless Magnaflow muffler (#12279) I used stainless lap joint band clamps:

They worked great attaching the SS muffler to the SS Bassani y-pipe and aluminized Dynomax tailpipe.

Quick Reply: 1997 F350 7.5L - Banks vs. Flowmaster?