6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Anyone who OWNS a 6.7, Problems??

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:59 PM
BigF350
Hotshot
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by cheimerman
Take the warnings on the 6.0 very seriously. Mine is a daily driver (unloaded, not towing), has 107,000 well maintained miles, and the EGR cooler started leaking coolant, which shows as white smoke out the tail pipe. Dealer estimate - $8620!!! Purely stock... no mods. I found a diesel performance shop that will replace the EGR and Oil Coolers, plus resolve some fuel pressure issues for $3,000. The dealer called Ford and got declined for assistance. I spent 30+ minutes on Ford's Customer Service line, and again they declined to assist with the repair, siting being past warranty. While that's true, with only being 7,000 miles past warranty, and being a Ford owner since 1971, and given this is definitely a problem area for the 6.0, I would expect them to step up to the plate and assist their owners with the repairs. I'm not sure that they haven't lost a loyal customer over this. At any rate, look at the frequency of the EGR and other 6.0 problems on this site. I would recommend getting rid of it before your warranty expires.

Good luck with your search!!! I'm looking into the 6.7, but a brand new engine, a brand new transmission???? I need it to last beyond the warranty, and I'm a little gunshy right now :-(
When did you buy the truck?
Are you outside the time frame as well as the milage?
If you are only outside the milage, get back on the phone to customer service and ask to speak to a manager.
Usually the squeaky wheel with them gets the grease

Old 06-07-2010, 11:15 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$8620 is way too much for egr job. Dad did hg's, both heads, egr, oil cooler, water pump, and an injector for that price.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM
cheimerman
New User
Sorry. I wasn't clear. The $8620 was for the everything (egr cooler, oil cooler, head gaskets, radiator, turbo, etc)... basically, anything that could have been impacted. The turbo wouldn't be replaced if it checked out good (saving me $1400).

Old 06-08-2010, 02:48 PM
cheimerman
New User
It was purchased in Feb '04, so it was also over a year beyond.

My point to Ford was that this was a mechanical issue and not something that time would affect (like rubber, vinyl, cloth, etc). Mileage should be all that mattered. Plus, given the fact that there are hundreds of forum messages on this very issue, they should have stepped up to the plate. Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:51 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
While that's true, with only being 7,000 miles past warranty,
Actually, assuming this happened recently, you were over a year past the warranty, and possibly as much as two years. You have a 2004.
(on edit: sorry, I see you said the same thing)

But I feel your pain. And I'm glad you found a good independent shop to work with. A lesson that can be taken is that, once your warranty expires, the dealer is usually not your best source of repair work.

Old 06-08-2010, 03:31 PM
cheimerman
New User
Good point that I hope everyone reads!

Only coolant flushes at the manufacturer's intervals :-(

Actually, I just found this site after I had the EGR cooler problem, so I wasn't aware that the problem area existed. I saw a posting that mentioned the coolant filter, and BulletProofDiesel's site showed pictures of the oil cooler, so it's easy to see how easily it could get plugged.

So everyone, let's get to that coolant flush. It could be worth $8620 to you :-)

Old 06-08-2010, 04:47 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Broketaxpayer
Hello,

I say you should keep the 6.0, since it probably has another 200K in it and it is likely to be one of the last American built Ford diesels. .

In all fairness, I believe you are underestimating the life of the 6.0 (no tunes, reasonably used) by 200,000 miles.

They are basically built like tanks, and with decent care, have 500,000 miles in them.

Originally Posted by 93RangerXL4x2
here in canada I have seen 6.0's with over 400,000kms original trans, and ussaly looks like it was working, which is what ford trucks do best. the ZF6, and a Revamped 7.3L would be nice tho.

Mine is rather a bit more than that.. 265,000 MILEs.

Take the warnings on the 6.0 very seriously. Mine is a daily driver (unloaded, not towing), has 107,000 well maintained miles, and the EGR cooler started leaking coolant, which shows as white smoke out the tail pipe. Dealer estimate - $8620!!! Purely stock... no mods. I found a diesel performance shop that will replace the EGR and Oil Coolers, plus resolve some fuel pressure issues for $3,000. The dealer called Ford and got declined for assistance. I spent 30+ minutes on Ford's Customer Service line, and again they declined to assist with the repair, siting being past warranty. While that's true, with only being 7,000 miles past warranty, and being a Ford owner since 1971, and given this is definitely a problem area for the 6.0, I would expect them to step up to the plate and assist their owners with the repairs.

Immediate question: did you run tunes in it? That counts as a mod.

I bet you that if it was inspected at 95,000 miles or so, the failure would have already been evident.

It is in my standard operating procedure to do a very through inspection shortly before the warranty expires to catch this sort of stuff --- and I pay out of my own pocket to do so by engaging an independent (not dealer) tech that knows what to look for.

This is a standard thing you should be doing before every "break" point in warranty coverage: 36/36 5/100, etc.

Did you use Motorcraft only filters and only recommended CI and CJ-4 oil? Did you update the flash ever?

Did you ever clean the EGR? Replace fuel filters?

$8,600 is outrageous for that job. For that amount, I can get you a reman or a used engine.

What are the fuel pressure issues you are having?

I don't think anyone deny that the EGR systems from 2003 onwards have been bad for every single manufacturer.

However, the state of the art --- as of a few years ago, is that a set of fixes have been developed on here --- follow bismic's rigorous routine, and there is hardly any problems.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:46 PM
cheimerman
New User
Gearloose1, based on the thoroughness of your reply, I doubt there's any gears loose at all!!! :-)

I'll try to be brief in this response:

... did you run tunes in it? ... NONE

....I bet you that if it was inspected at 95,000 miles or so, the failure would have already been evident....
DIDN'T THINK ABOUT DOING THAT, BUT EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!

...Did you use Motorcraft only filters and only recommended CI and CJ-4 oil?...
NOT SURE, UNLESS IT WAS IN THE DEALERSHIP, I USED A LOCAL QUICK LUBE PLACE.

...Did you update the flash ever?...
THE DEALERSHIP DID IT A FEW YEARS AGO, BUT NOT SINCE

... Did you ever clean the EGR?...
NO, UNLESS IT WAS DONE BY THE DEALERSHIP AS PART OF A 60K SERVICE. HOW DO YOU CLEAN IT?

... Replace fuel filters? ....
YES, BUT I DIDN'T REALIZE THEY WERE DUE AT 15K, SO I'M WAY OVERDUE (IT'S BEING DONE TODAY).

$8,600 is outrageous for that job. For that amount, I can get you a reman or a used engine. AGREED :-)

....What are the fuel pressure issues you are having?....
PRESSURE IS 50 AT IDLE, 49 AT CRUISE, BUT ONLY 44 UNDER LOAD. SUPPOSEDLY, THE MANUFACTURER SAYS THAT THE INJECTORS CAN BE DAMAGED IF THE PRESSURE IS UNDER 40 AND THE PRESSURE SHOULD BE 50 UNDER LOAD. THERE'S AN UPGRADED FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR REPAIR KIT FROM FORD THAT I'M HAVING INSTALLED TODAY.

... follow bismic's rigorous routine, and there is hardly any problems....
WHAT'S THE BISMIC'S RIGOROUS ROUTINE???

THANKS FOR THE GREAT REPLY!!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Old 06-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Neil64
Senior User
6.0 Log

How did this turn into a 6.0 Log? I thought this is about the new 6.7s?

Old 06-09-2010, 03:24 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Neil64
It is. But you cannot discuss the 6.7 without comparing it to previous generations. Would you like to discuss the 7.3 now?

Old 06-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Neil64
Senior User
I don't mean to come across as a jerk but I disagree. Sorry. This is a 6.7 forum and the question was specifically about 6.7 problems. The thread is not about 6.7 vs. 6.0 nor is it a 6.0 log.

I think you can discuss the 6.7 without going back to the 6.0. Someone posted that he was on the fence about keeping his 07 6.0 or getting a 2011 6.7 and this is how it all started. If a comparison must be done, a better comparison would be the 6.4 vs. 6.7, which is what I am comparing as both are available brand new.

And for what it is worth, I considered buying a 6.0 and I know many here have had success with it but in general, a 6.0 scares most because of it's reputation. You may say this reputation is undeserved but it is what it is and there is usually substance for a bad reputation. The 6.4's rep is that it gets terrible MPGs. The 6.7 has no reputation yet but with the missing oil return tubes and power steering leaks, one should wonder if build and manufacturing quality is on par. VW is plagued with build quality issues and it too is built in Mexico. And I don't think most would argue that Mexican built is not a confidence inspiring statement.

Maybe a new thread should be started comparing and contrasting the various PSDs but for the moment, I'd like to scan down the 6.7 posts to see what to look out for if I decide to pull the trigger on one.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:53 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
If you want to be the "thread police", you should first join the club and then see if you can get a moderator's position. Until then I say we can talk about whatever we feel like talking about.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Neil64
Senior User
Wow

SanleyZ, I am not trying to be the thread police but merely trying to contribute to the forum to make it better, more useful and efficient so that I and others like me who are seeking data on the 6.7 can find it with relative ease without having to weed through other topics. Sorry if this concept troubles you.

You are certainly right in that you have rights that I don't have on this forum since you paid to support this site and I am glad you don't mind telling me so. Thank you for pointing this out to me.

I will now resume reading instead of posting and contributing.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:32 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Gearloose1, based on the thoroughness of your reply, I doubt there's any gears loose at all!!! :-)

I'll try to be brief in this response:

... did you run tunes in it? ... NONE

....I bet you that if it was inspected at 95,000 miles or so, the failure would have already been evident....
DIDN'T THINK ABOUT DOING THAT, BUT EXCELLENT ADVICE!!!

...Did you use Motorcraft only filters and only recommended CI and CJ-4 oil?...
NOT SURE, UNLESS IT WAS IN THE DEALERSHIP, I USED A LOCAL QUICK LUBE PLACE.

...Did you update the flash ever?...
THE DEALERSHIP DID IT A FEW YEARS AGO, BUT NOT SINCE

... Did you ever clean the EGR?...
NO, UNLESS IT WAS DONE BY THE DEALERSHIP AS PART OF A 60K SERVICE. HOW DO YOU CLEAN IT?

... Replace fuel filters? ....
YES, BUT I DIDN'T REALIZE THEY WERE DUE AT 15K, SO I'M WAY OVERDUE (IT'S BEING DONE TODAY).

$8,600 is outrageous for that job. For that amount, I can get you a reman or a used engine. AGREED :-)

....What are the fuel pressure issues you are having?....
PRESSURE IS 50 AT IDLE, 49 AT CRUISE, BUT ONLY 44 UNDER LOAD. SUPPOSEDLY, THE MANUFACTURER SAYS THAT THE INJECTORS CAN BE DAMAGED IF THE PRESSURE IS UNDER 40 AND THE PRESSURE SHOULD BE 50 UNDER LOAD. THERE'S AN UPGRADED FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR REPAIR KIT FROM FORD THAT I'M HAVING INSTALLED TODAY.

... follow bismic's rigorous routine, and there is hardly any problems....
WHAT'S THE BISMIC'S RIGOROUS ROUTINE???

THANKS FOR THE GREAT REPLY!!!<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Based on your replies --- I would say:

You have my sympathies, but there are enough stones left unturned to lead me to doubt it is solely Ford's fault:

Specifically:

- Any lube shop that did your truck without knowing the special filters / oil this vehicle require is likely to have put in non-approved filters and most importantly --- I suspect they may have used not properly diesel rated oil but their regular gasser oil!!!!!

There is no way to prove this --- but if your bill from those oil changes do not specify a special CI or CJ-4 rated diesel grade motor oil..or if it says "bulk (whatever grade) oil, you are likely SOL because they used the "bulk" oil they give everyone.

- If you did not do fuel filters --- that is a major issue as the 6.0 have major issues with a somewhat undersized secondary filter.

- Your fuel pressure is another tipoff that not all is well in the land... it is a lot lower than I like and marginal.

You need the blue spring mod

- Bismic is the resident expert over at the 6.0 forum and the tech folder maintainer.

Go there and see.

- EGR and turbo cleaning should be done at least once for an engine of your age, and while you have it apart.

Good luck.

Old 06-10-2010, 08:33 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Neil64

Tell one of the friendly moderators to move it to the 6.0 forum.

Quick Reply: Anyone who OWNS a 6.7, Problems??