6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

wont go over 40 mph

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 11:57 AM
Zio
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wont go over 40 mph

Hey guys one of the fire department that I work for has a 2006 E-350 ambulance. Since I am in charge of rig maintenance I get a call that the ambulance will not go over 40 MPH. They said it seems to idle fine but will not go faster than 40. The fuel filter was changed about 3 months ago. The ambulance only has 10,000 miles on it. Any idea what it could be?

Old 05-25-2010, 02:01 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
EGR valve and/or turbo need cleaned. Have you code scanned it? Just because it doesn't have a CEL doesn't mean it doesn't have a code. Our resident ambulance expert is at work and will probably show up later, so hang tough. He's a great tech and absolutely loves Ambulances.

If this vehicle spends a LOT of time idling then you should do a search for the high idle modification which is to help with wet stacking and EGR issues on long idle vehicles. This engine does NOT like to sit and idle for extended periods. It gunks them up like crazy.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:47 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
10,000 miles and how many hours spent idling?

That is the little bitty trade secret....

You are probably looking at a complete disassembly of the intake / egr / turbo system and cleaning.

Once it is properly cleaned... Italian tuneups on every call...

Then you can just watch daygo....

Old 05-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Zio
New User
Thanks for the help guys. I was afraid that it was the egr. The ambulance does have a high idle but guys don't use it all the time like they are supposed to. Also it does not have an hour meter on it (first ambulance I have seen without one). Are we better off letting it idle with the high idle on or shutting it off (when possible).
Thanks Tom

Old 05-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Zio
New User
Also is this something that should be covered under the 5year/100,000 mile warranty on the engine?

Old 05-25-2010, 04:01 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Take it in under warranty!!!!!

Of course.

There is an hour meter in the computer... grin...

Why do I think I know what it is going to read?

The engine defaults to high idle upon startup..

In your application:

It is very severe service, oil changes need to be done on hours, not miles, and very frequently.

Ask them to fit a coolant filter.

Check for bad / plugged oil cooler, and replace the EGR cooler / valve, and clean it out.

Then check for turbo... clean or replace as needed.

Then take it out for the most spirited Ambulance driving you can do at top speed...

Old 05-25-2010, 04:17 PM
Zio
New User
Gear loose 1, I have a few questions. Can the hour meter only be read with a scan tool?

What do you mean the engine defaults to high idle at startup? It does not idle high at all at idle. We have it setup if you set the parking brake the idles goes up to about 1500-1600rpm or so. But I know the guys don't use it like they are supposed to.

We change the oil every 6 months. We are a very slow volunteer department. I will check the hours tomorrow when I bring it in for service, but I know for a fact we are not over on hours. The oil has been changed 6 times since we have owned it. We have been told this is fine by the ford dealer and a the shop that does all the preventative maintenance on our engines and trucks.

Hopefully all this is covered under warranty.

thanks for the help

Tom

Old 05-25-2010, 04:25 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
I know the Ford dealer computers can read the hours... talk to cheezit.

If they don't use the high idle... hmmmm

6 months? How many hours do you reckon that is?

No dealer worth their salt will say that without knowing the hours involved --- if you idled it non-stop, you are changing a lot more frequently than that.

Good luck...

Old 05-25-2010, 04:29 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
The engine will "high idle" during cold startup but not after the engine gets warm or during warm weather.

IIRC there is a procedure you can do with the dash panel to read hours from the odometer.

From what you are posting it sounds like the turbo might be suffering from "lot rot"; A condition where the turbo veins can rust in place from lack of use, carbon, or poor fuel quality or a combination of all of the above.

Just out of curiousity---do you know what kind of oil they are using? I'm wondering about injectors already too.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Zio
New User
I would have to guess at the hours but I would say less than 100. I do not know what kind of oil the dealer uses when they change the oil. I will have to ask them. The mechanic that I asked told me based on our hours that we would be ok. So would we be better off letting the ambo idle at high idle when taking it out for a short trip if we pull it out of the firehouse? Or would we be better off shutting it off?

thanks
Tom

Old 05-25-2010, 04:46 PM
Zio
New User
I just talked to the guys and they drove it home from the hospital and on another call and said it was fine now. Hmmmm this is weird.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:53 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Zio
I just talked to the guys and they drove it home from the hospital and on another call and said it was fine now. Hmmmm this is weird.

That is consistent with crud / rust in turbo that got "blown out" once you start to use it.

Also with carbon in EGR that can jam turbo or intake / exhaust valves

Especially at full throttle..

Use my standard fix ... Italian tuneup every time you drive it.

i.e. warm it up thoroughly.. then full throttle it every chance you can (acceleration) to clean the turbo, erg, etc.

Try a driving style where you drop the hammer and then coast once you reach cruising speed rather than gentle accelerations --- ONCE it is fully warm.

I still say you take it in for a through inspection of carbon buildups and turbo...

Old 05-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Zio
New User
Thanks guys. Yes it is still going in tomorrow morning. Cant take the chance of it breaking down since it is an ambulance.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:13 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Insist on a EOT/ECT difference test, and if it is over 15 degrees, insist on a new oil and EGR cooler.

Also ... carbon cleaning.. turbo cleaning or replacement.. plus EGR valve replacement and plenum cleaning if warranted.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:18 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
we you get it please scan it and post codes.
to read hours push the trip reset botton a few time.
oil changes should be 1) every 5k miles 2)every 200 hours 3) every 6 months wich ever happens first.
fuel filters every 10k miles 2)400 hours 3)when you think you have a batch of bad or old fuel.

suspect egr or turbo issues.

Quick Reply: wont go over 40 mph