Sponsored by: Moser

Got Captain Seats - Need mounting help

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 11:19 AM
Ken2600
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a good deal ($10 each) on a set of captain seats from a Dodge conversion van. The pedestal is there but I think part of the mount is missing. The bottom of the pedestal looks like its supposed to "hook" into another mount or something and then bolt down.

What's the best way to mount these in my truck? Can I get Ford mounts that will just bolt up? (my truck has a factory bench seat now) Will I have to drill holes and just use huge washers to mount them? What's my best bet?

Old 02-03-2003, 02:55 PM
Racerdave
Elder User

what do you meen by (The pedestal is there but I think part of the mount is missing)? Do you meen that you have the seat but no rails to mount it onto? Some of the Seats have rails they atatch to (so you can adjust them forward or backward) Usaly thats what they are like, is this what you are talking about? If not then I would tell you to look arround at the van that you got them out of and see if there are any more mounts that you may need, also make sure they are the correct height ( dont want to be to high up or to low) If you find that the seat atatches to rails so it can adjust tell me and I will help you out more.

Old 02-03-2003, 03:10 PM
Ken2600
Elder User

Someone else removed the seats from the van so I don't have access to any parts that were left behind.

These seats were mounted on a pedestal so you could rotate them around to face the back of the van. The pedestal is there, but it looks like instead of the bottom of the pedestal bolting to the floor, there was an extra piece that it hooked into. I'll probably have to just get some regular seat rails or brackets and mount the seats with them.

Maybe I'll try to take some pictures of these mounts tonight and put them online somewhere. That would help it make sense.

Old 02-03-2003, 04:37 PM
Ken2600
Elder User

After looking at them again, here's some additional info. The slide rails for adjusting the seat front to back are there. They are bolted to the top of the pedestal (between it and the seat). They don't add any height though so I'll need some kind of pedestal to raise them a bit.

The bracket (and perhaps the whole seat) appear to be made by "FlexSteel".

There is a lever on the bottom of the pedestal that looks like you could pull it and remove the seat from the vehicle. So, that verifies my thought that there is a part of this missing.

Old 02-03-2003, 10:33 PM
ST_Wilson
Senior User

I just did a search on the WEB an that company is still alive and kickin, seein as you only paid $10 a seat ya might as well give em a call and see if they have the rest of em.

Old 02-04-2003, 12:24 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

That manufacturer makes a lot of the seats used by conversion van manufacturers. You should be able to find all kinds of pieces-parts and examples to look at in the boneyards. A lot easier and for a much better price than going to the manufacturer.

Old 02-04-2003, 12:26 PM
Racerdave
Elder User

totaly! you scored on the seats. Good luck with everything, if all else fails with the brackets, make your own (if you can weld) Just be sure to make them strong, I helped my uncle put in his bucket seats in his Baja.... He was out rootin and one broke off and cracked his window..... Now they are welded to 1" steel bars and Bolted to the body, and below the body he has it reinforced with 1" wide flat steel that he is useing as kinda a body thickener, so if they get tourque'd on they dont rip a hole in the pan.