6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Scan Guage or Edge Insight

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM
rcorcich
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scan Guage or Edge Insight

Hi all , I've been using the scan guage II for a while now and can't get it to read EOT or trans temp properly both are 6 to 17 deg. high at any given point of time. Tranny was flushed and new filter,(Paper roll) look's good. 6 to 10 deg high vs. issapro tranny guage. And eot on SG. reading 206 to 210 normal driving while ect reads 191 to 195 which is right.
In the last 500 miles had the eo cooler rebuilt ,new egr cooler , new eo temp sensor replaced... Is any one else w/a SG,experiencing this or a isolated experience.
And is the Edge better at reading ford's info, i know it's more money,but I'de prefer accuracy.And I think it will show more ford info (parameters)
Or is there something else I could check or change that may be the problem w/ inaccurate readings.?
All input would be great...

Its been a long day,
thanks

Old 05-24-2010, 05:49 PM
utjer
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The insight reads it directly from the truck. There is no "programming" it to get what you want. You just tell it what to display and it will. If I were you, I would get the insight. I am very happy with mine.

Old 05-24-2010, 07:07 PM
teppler
Elder User
Count me as another satisfied with the Edge insight.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:47 PM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Having the ability to read EGTs = Edge Insight

Old 05-24-2010, 08:54 PM
desertt5
Senior User
My SC seems to read high also. It reads EOT 8* higher than than ECT right after a oil cooler rebuild. i have nothing else to compare though.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:57 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
I love my Edge Insight. It works as advertised

Old 05-24-2010, 09:31 PM
william_04_x
Lead Driver

Received 146 Likes on 88 Posts
My SG has worked fine for me. I've verified it's accuracy in a truck with analog ECT and EOT gauges, so I don't doubt the info it gives me. I also have a 4 gauge pod for pyro, boost, fuel pressure, and tranny temp which lessens the Insights advantage for my needs.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 PM
amdriven2liv
I'm hitting easy street

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by desertt5
My SC seems to read high also. It reads EOT 8* higher than than ECT right after a oil cooler rebuild. i have nothing else to compare though.
How does it read when you first start in the mornings? Mine reads a degree or so apart on ECT/EOT/TFT.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Fallguy2004
Senior User
Where's everyone finding the best price on the Insight?

Old 05-25-2010, 12:25 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Fallguy2004
Where's everyone finding the best price on the Insight?
They're basically $299 everywhere, I have seen them on Amazon for a little less in the past. I'm in the market for 1 so if you see em less pass it on...

Old 05-25-2010, 10:27 AM
el boricua
Junior User
Originally Posted by rcorcich
Hi all , I've been using the scan guage II for a while now and can't get it to read EOT or trans temp properly both are 6 to 17 deg. high at any given point of time. Tranny was flushed and new filter,(Paper roll) look's good. 6 to 10 deg high vs. issapro tranny guage. And eot on SG. reading 206 to 210 normal driving while ect reads 191 to 195 which is right.

I hope I don't get in trouble with this, but Damn this darn forum timers!!!! this is the 3rd time I write down this reply!!! sorry guys, I need to vent this one. Back to the subject.
The difference you see may be because of the tolerance difference on the gauges. If the scangauge is a little off on the high side and the Edge is a little off on the low side there's your 6 to 10 deg difference between the two and both may be within the recomended tolerance. So no one is right or wrong.
Also remember that EOT is always a little hotter than ECT. How much??? Don't remember right now. Maybe 10 to 20 deg hotter, but the exact number is another story.
The only moment you may compare different fluids temperatures to trobleshoot instrumentationin in the absence of a good known instrument is when all fluids are known to be at the same temperature. That's when the truck is set to cooldown overnight with no heater plugged. At this time the engine had enough time to liberate all the thermal energy stored inside and all fluids including tranny temp and Air Intake Temp should be the same. If there is different fluid temperatures something is not right in the instruments.
I hope this info help and I really hope to get this reply done!!!!!
Luis,

Old 05-25-2010, 10:33 AM
el boricua
Junior User
And now for the hyjack....... can you provide the codes for the Scangauge to read EOT???? I got mine to read Tranny temp, but never got the codes for EOT.

Thanks
Luis,

Old 05-25-2010, 10:35 AM
MoyockPowerstroke
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by el boricua
I hope I don't get in trouble with this, but Damn this darn forum timers!!!! this is the 3rd time I write down this reply!!! sorry guys, I need to vent this one. Back to the subject.
The difference you see may be because of the tolerance difference on the gauges. If the scangauge is a little off on the high side and the Edge is a little off on the low side there's your 6 to 10 deg difference between the two and both may be within the recomended tolerance. So no one is right or wrong.
Also remember that EOT is always a little hotter than ECT. How much??? Don't remember right now. Maybe 10 to 20 deg hotter, but the exact number is another story.
The only moment you may compare different fluids temperatures to trobleshoot instrumentationin in the absence of a good known instrument is when all fluids are known to be at the same temperature. That's when the truck is set to cooldown overnight with no heater plugged. At this time the engine had enough time to liberate all the thermal energy stored inside and all fluids including tranny temp and Air Intake Temp should be the same. If there is different fluid temperatures something is not right in the instruments.
I hope this info help and I really hope to get this reply done!!!!!
Luis,
If its just that you're a little slow on the draw with your response...you might try composing your reply using a word processor then cut and paste into this window. EOT will always...."should" always be a few degrees warmer than ECT. Usually anything more than 15*F diff then you should be concerned with plugged oil cooler.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:09 PM
lostru
Mountain Pass
Engine Oil Temperature 07E0221310 046245130610 3010 00090005FFD8 EOT Degrees F: For Scanguage.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 PM
el boricua
Junior User
Thanks MoyockPowerstroke. That's what I end up doing. It's an old trick, but sometimes I forgot and it's frustrating.

Lostru thanks for the codes. I'll try them later to see how they work.

Luis,

Quick Reply: Scan Guage or Edge Insight