Sponsored by:

Hella lights vs others?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:44 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hella lights vs others?

Ok so im looking into getting a pair of Hella's Euro beam rally 4000 lights and was wondering how they stand up to others like light force, kc and piaa. im putting 4 piaa 510 driving lights into my Winch Ready bumper and need a pair of great spot lights to put on the head ache rack. Any recomendations or comments are much appreciated. and am i right that a driving light would be best for a wide bright beam or is there something better?

Old 05-11-2010, 06:23 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
why the hell do people always want to put a bunch of lights on their trucks? check around, there are laws against how many you can have whether they are in use on road or not. i always figured wheel in the daytime and save the money you would've spent on gaudy lights for beer

Old 05-11-2010, 08:42 PM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
wow ok their are just ligts.and to answer ou questoin i hunt and camp a lot. and not camp like a camp ground i mean camping like it sould be. so lighting up the night is a must whether setting up a tent or skinning that bull elk in the middle of the woods. oh and there is never shortage of a supply of beer around here.

Old 05-11-2010, 09:06 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
the only light's i have personal experience with are some 6'' round kc daylighters. had five on a rollbar and could see out about a good clear mile in the dark on country roads and in fields. a few quality lights on seperate switches in the right spots on your truck will suit you just fine on a hunting rig. just make sure they adjustable so you can point them to suit your needs

Old 05-11-2010, 11:28 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
I see nothing wrong with running lights. I ran them on my roll bar and will probably re mount them to my bumper soon. (Branches will bust those up real easy on a trail.)
I have to admit, its nice to have lights to move around incase of a field repair in the dark. As for brand, well I just don't know. Whatever is cheapest I guess haha. Lights are lights, how far away do you really need to see?!?

Just my two cents..

Old 05-11-2010, 11:57 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
cheap is king. if you really drive in the woods, even if your lights are on a roll bar, they will be broken at some point and time. why spend big on a part that will be toast on a regular basis?

Old 05-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Yeah i've taken off lights and not known it until I got done wheeling and noticed the broken little box hanging with the wire lol.

I'd say cheapy lights, but whatever you want I suppose.

Old 05-12-2010, 03:06 AM
YoungFordAddict66
Posting Guru
yea thats true those hunting trails get pretty over grown and can tear stuff up might just put PIAA 510 yellow fog lights all the way aroud, 4 inset in the bumper 2on the headache rack pointed towars the sides maybe a set on the rear bumper. but that gets pretty spending so i'll have to figure out something. thanks guys u were right cheap is better than being able to see farther than i need to. i'll c what i can find.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:45 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
If your mounting the lights on the roll bar to point to the side, you might try mounting them on the bottom of your roll bar. So that if a branch or something does come by, you won't knock it off. You might try the bedside too.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:19 AM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by YoungFordAddict66
wow ok their are just ligts.and to answer ou questoin i hunt and camp a lot. and not camp like a camp ground i mean camping like it sould be. so lighting up the night is a must whether setting up a tent or skinning that bull elk in the middle of the woods. oh and there is never shortage of a supply of beer around here.
+1, Its pretty much a necessity to be able to see what is on the side of the road getting ready to bolt across right in front of you! Any set of lights will be cheaper then what happens when you broadside that bull elk out in the middle of nowhere, especially when the white stuff is dropping. Light it up all you want, the more the better!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:51 AM
GregsSD
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fatdan460
why the hell do people always want to put a bunch of lights on their trucks? check around, there are laws against how many you can have whether they are in use on road or not. i always figured wheel in the daytime and save the money you would've spent on gaudy lights for beer

This reply is doing nothing to help this thread . Obviously you are not a fan of using your truck at night so please have another beer and only post useful info.

YoungFordAddict66,
You should be fine with any name brand lights, but the PIAA's are very pricey, I have used KC, and Hella lights with great results. I have also used PIAA but wouldn't spend that kind of money again for them.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:00 PM
82F100SWB
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I run aircraft landing lights in rubber tractor housings, they don't look pretty, but they sure do work good, 100W, and they're cheap(13-14 bucks a bulb last I bought some.) The majority of them are pencil beam, but, for my app, they work great. I run E-Code reflectors in all my sealed beam trucks, with relays and 100/50W bulbs, wired so the lows stay on with the highs...
I need to have portable daylight on the truck up here, once you get 5 miles out of town, there are no street lights for the next 50 miles at the closest, going north, it's almost 100. This is big time moose/bear country, and I drive on average 35-40K miles a year...
Since I now work for an airline, and all of our planes are 28V, not 13V like the light aircraft I used to buy the bulbs for, last time I needed bulbs, I got a surplussed step up transformer, and am currently running a pair of 450W bulbs at 24V. Not something cost effective if you have to buy the transformer, I don't even want to know what it's worth... You probably also wouldn't want to meet me on the highway at night, that's 1200W of lights I have pointing forward on my Dodge when everything is on.
If you are running a 24V system, the bulbs go all the way up to 600W. But, even the 100W lights don't like being run at low speed, it shortens their life quite a bit, they need air flowing over them to keep them cool.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:18 PM
fatdan460
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GregsSD
This reply is doing nothing to help this thread . Obviously you are not a fan of using your truck at night so please have another beer and only post useful info.
actually i use my truck at all hours of the day. and there are laws against how many lights you can have on your vehicle, so i think that was a somewhat helpful post, no sense in getting hassled over light's by the police. i've been there and had that problem. as stated in my other posts, on a hunting rig that travels through tight trails and woods, i wouldn't spend anymore than i had to on lights. it's not a question of if they will break, it's more like how quick will they break. i don't hunt, but i do wheel in tight wooded areas and anything that isn't tucked under something on your truck will eventually break or get ripped off. i'd go to any parts house and by store brand cheapo's.
EDIT: here's a link to a quick overview of my states laws, i'm sure your state has some similar laws.
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/pu...rr_chap12.html

Old 05-12-2010, 01:41 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Yeah, Dan is right. Some states have laws about the number of lights you can have on your truck. I think its not so much the number of lights you have, but the number of lights that are uncovered.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 82F100SWB
I run aircraft landing lights in rubber tractor housings, they don't look pretty, but they sure do work good,
Where might the common non-aircraft worker get these?

Quick Reply: Hella lights vs others?