429 Building

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 09:02 PM
grif95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 429 Building

Alright guys, I am back with another question. I really want to thank all you knowledgeable engine builders for having patience with a newbie.

What year should I be looking for as far as building my heads and block? (Heads DOVE-C and block D1VE-AA). From what I was told from the seller and from the responses on the forum, I'm a little confused on the year(s) to be looking at.

Also, I have a question similar to one of the newer posts. Pushrods and head work. With these heads, what is my best approach? Buy a set of roller rockers and have the heads machined to work with them? I want to use the screw in studs like Fordzzzz77 suggests. Please help me here. I want to keep the machining to the minimum. (Cost Savings).
One more (I promise), what is a good overbore without sacrificing strenght?

Thanks,
grif95

Old 01-31-2003, 10:40 PM
Fordzzzz77
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
429 Building

Hi grif95.........Hey it's our pleasure to help you out. There is knowledge in numbers. As for your block and heads you have good iron there. I wouldn't change a thing. You have a excellent block, 71 2 bolt main CJ block and 70 high compress heads. I can understand that you want to save on the machine work to save money, believe me, well all would. My opinion I feel the best way for you to set the heads up is with screwed in 7/16 studs and 3/8 guide plates. There is a Crane conversion kit for you heads too that requires no machine work, but in my opinion the screwed in stud are the best way to go in term of strenght and reliability. The screw-in stud and guide plates allows your heads to have a adjustable valve train. The machine shop will cut down the stud bosses to compensate for the guide plate thickness, about .300 of an inch. Since your doing this, might as well get a complete valve job and hardend seat installed if you heads are needing this. Might as well do it right the first time around. Once you get the studs and guide plates installed then buy 1.73 roller rockers and a push rod lenght checker and follow the compcams web site to determine the push rod you need. Follow the link below.

http://www.compcams.com/information/Products/Pushrods/

The block.... Well you need to determine if it needs to be bored. .030 or.060 will be fine, .030 is probably what your looking at. These blocks are tough and will take a beating.

Last edited by Fordzzzz77; 01-31-2003 at 10:49 PM.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:51 PM
grif95
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 429 Building

Fordzzzz77, I really appreciate all of your feedback. You have helped me understand exactly what I have on my hands. I also feel like I have a direction to head in.

Thanks a lot!!

grif95