General Automotive Discussion

Racing fuel

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 10:58 AM
fepowerguy8
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Racing fuel

I have a dumb question. I'm going to be getting into circle track racing and was wondering where do you get racing fuel? I was told the stuff at the track is no good because its watered down. And the airport by me no longer sells fuel unless you are filling up your plane. Is this something parts stores carry, and if so which brand would be best?

Old 05-04-2010, 01:34 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
around here the racing fuel at what few stations carry it is crap ! my last 429 w/ 11.01 cr and a healthy cam wouldnt run on it without detonating and deiseling unless you pulled the timing etc. WAY BACK !!! try buying a 55 gallon drum from a dealer like vp . you'll be better off . have fun on the tracks too !!! used to do the dirt thing myself till it got to be so dain pricey , and everyone was willing to kill / run you over just too get a checkered flag .

Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Leaded aircraft fuel, 100 "Low Lead" is not what you want anyway. Its designed for low compression, slow turning, big bore aircooleds that run dual fixed timing magnetos. This supposedly low lead actually has more lead than street gas ever did, which leads to lots of deposits. VP has at least a dozen formulas of race gas, so you need advice as to which one to buy.

Jim