Sponsored by: Moser

Harley Davidson Grille on an FX4?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 08:06 PM
DNKnFLA
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harley Davidson Grille on an FX4?

Has anyone changed out their black FX4 grille with a chrome Harley Davidson grille insert? The only thing I don't like about my 09 FX4 is the black grille insert, and I haven't seen any aftermarket grill inserts I like. I don't want to order one if it won't fit, and the dealers in my area don't even have any Harleys in stock for me to look at.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
Its a nice grille but I don't like any chrome on a monochrome truck w/o chrome. I wish someone would produce a 09+ FX4 grille in gloss black. Like the 06+ FX4 lux pkg had.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:36 AM
F250Dave
Junior User
I too dont care for my Fx4 black grill. I was thinking of getting billet grill that replaces the entire grill and I have seen them in black or chrome. Also, considered getting a Platinum grill, those look awesome. Have not scene the Harley grill yet.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:56 AM
stephen.osborne1
Cargo Master
Received 178 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by F250Dave
I too dont care for my Fx4 black grill. I was thinking of getting billet grill that replaces the entire grill and I have seen them in black or chrome. Also, considered getting a Platinum grill, those look awesome. Have not scene the Harley grill yet.
I don't mind the FX4 grille, but I definately agree with your point of view... I think a billet or Platinum grille looks awesome on an FX4, especially silver or a darker color.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:53 PM
DNKnFLA
New User
I realize the FX4 is mostly monochrome, but mine does have a little chrome on it. The "F150" badge on the fenders is trimmed in chrome, I have chrome 5" step bars, and I have the factory 18" machined aluminum rims with chrome centers. I was interested in the Harley grille because while the center is chrome, I could keep my painted grille surround. I don't want to stick a Lariat or XLT grille on it because I think that would be just way too much. I was looking for something more subtle, but an improvement over the black insert it came with. To me, it just looks cheap. If my truck was black or even white, I think I would stick with it, but its Razor Red Metallic over Dark Grey.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:50 AM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
everyone has different opinions, but a monochrome truck with a simple chrome grille insert looks just fine to me. all you got to do is look at the Harley truck itself, it's monochrome. From what I read, the grille does come in two pieces (inner bar grille and the surround piece that is ready for paint). So you should be able to install the inner bar piece inside your FX4 painted surround trim. The grille is expensive though, like $600 from an online Ford discount parts dealer.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:50 AM
piercede
Junior User
Originally Posted by DNKnFLA
I realize the FX4 is mostly monochrome, but mine does have a little chrome on it. The "F150" badge on the fenders is trimmed in chrome, I have chrome 5" step bars, and I have the factory 18" machined aluminum rims with chrome centers. I was interested in the Harley grille because while the center is chrome, I could keep my painted grille surround. I don't want to stick a Lariat or XLT grille on it because I think that would be just way too much. I was looking for something more subtle, but an improvement over the black insert it came with. To me, it just looks cheap. If my truck was black or even white, I think I would stick with it, but its Razor Red Metallic over Dark Grey.
THis is my exact battle I have been fighting since I bought my 09 FX4. I tried a Lariatt grille, which looked pretty good, but was just a little too much chrome with teh surround. I had the Harley Grille on my 07 Fx4 and loved it, but just can't bring myself to drop 600+ bucks on a Harley Grille for this truck. So again, I'm stuck. Keep hoping someone comes out with something aftermarket with chrome in the middle and painted surround, but so far no such luck. Thought about teh FX2 grille, but I have the Grey truck, and with the grey surround, and grey grille, I think it would be too much.

To answer your question though, I think the Harley Grille is the perfect option for the FX4.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:38 PM
FX4Colorado09
New User
FX4 Grille

Ever since I bought my FX4, I have thought about changing the grille. The problem is I don't really care much for the big goddy chrome grilles. I inquired about a Harley Davidson grille but they're in the $800 range. So I bought a roll of 1-5/8 inch wide $15 chrome trim from Pep Boys. Then cut them into length to fit the center of the grille of my truck. It really highlighted the 3-bar grille. No drilling required - all I did is clean the grille with alcohol and stuck the chrome trim on the grille. I did some minor trimming on the trim to fit it. It's nearly been a year and they're still on.

Old 11-07-2010, 11:58 PM
braddah
New User
new grille

sounds nice. Any pictures we can all enjoy? Love to see the final results.
Thanks

Old 11-10-2010, 05:46 PM
FX4Colorado09
New User
Fx4 Grille

Ok...I'm new at this. How do I include a pic?

Old 11-13-2010, 08:02 PM
braddah
New User
pics

Dunno dude. But I bet I can figure it out so I bet you can too. I'm very new myself but have been on threads like this before and it's no big thing. Oh, hey i just noticed it above the message space. Just place your curser on what looks like a yellow postcard of mountains. That's the insert image thingy. Looking forward to the pics. I'm wondering about a different grille on my new FX4 too. Beautiful truck but not a fan of the plain black plastic grille.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
FX4Colorado09
New User
Here you go.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:47 PM
braddah
New User
nice work!

It looks much better than stock. Good work. I was just in Hawaii and saw every other Ford 150 with aftermarket grilles. (and lift kits, and monster tires, and,and,and) Those Hawaiians love to trick out their rides. I saw a few options I might consider myself.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:06 PM
RBacio
New User
Braddah
Why do you refer to'em as those Hawaiins? I know from your user name you happen to be one of those local boys. Ain't it true though about the trucks in Hawai'i? And you know they're paying more than everyone else cause everythings gotta be shipped in. I used to think, man how are these guys affording some of these trucks. You know the ones with the chrome driveshafts and polished suspensions. Geeze...

Old 11-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Power Kid
Elder User
Reminds me of a 04-06 Tundra chrome grille.

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson Grille on an FX4?