1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 F-250 Intermitant Shudder (ABS?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 12:06 AM
krc002
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 F-250 Intermitant Shudder (ABS?)

Hello All, this is my first post with you all, from what ive seen things look good here. i accidentally posted this thread to another section and figured perhaps it'd be a good idea to post it here as well as more people were viewing this topic.

Anyhow, my family just bought a 2002 F 250, we had it inspected and the inspection came back as a fail because the front calipers were sticking, this was fairly evident as the truck didn't like drifting in neutral down slight grades. we went ahead and bought the truck and i put new calipers and pads on today, thinking this would solve the problem, this was also instructed by a mechanic who i usually regard well in diagnosis as he has proven himself with other and smaller vehicles we own.

Anyhow, put the calipers on and new pads as well and drove just under 50 miles perfectly fine with brakes functioning as i expect them to. after this point a definite shudder started and seemed to go away after a few hundred yards which left the brakes again feeling stuck. this shudder also happened once before new calipers were put on during the test drive phase with similar results. after i got out of the car you could feel the heat rolling off of them. i read another fellows post on here who had a similar issue and thought of the ABS system causing the problem as it does feel like the brake is engaging very quickly like ABS would do to apply braking. also to be noted we had a friend of ours who used to work at a ford dealership look the truck over before we bought it and he hooked his computer up to it to see if it was showing any codes and had to change 2 fuses before the computer would turn on.

im wondering if the abs is shorting out like the fellow with a similar issue was having with the wires run to his abs system and that is causing the abs to do what it is doing by applying pulsating braking to one or both of the front <nobr style="color: darkgreen; font-weight: normal; font-size: 100%;" id="itxt_nobr_3_0">tires</nobr>. if it is shorting i could see why a couple of fuses would be popped for device protection. any thoughts would be appreciated or any ideas for testing too as i have never encountered this.

Thanks, KRC002