1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford sent these to me this morning

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 01:11 PM
Vijay
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
really cool....

Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 681 Likes on 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Monster-4
I noticed in the Ford testing they did not use a WD hitch. Interesting.
It would have made an already dangerously loaded trailer worse. The way it looked to me the trailer was loaded so as to be actually pulling up on the hitch instead of having any real tongue weight. This places the trailer COG behind the trailer axles and is what causes really funky handling.

When you crank up those spring bars it applies a torque to the hitch receiver that would effectively remove more weight from the tongue, which would have further lightened the rear axle of the truck. When you consider the crazy handling dynamics already imposed by the improperly loaded trailer, using such a hitch very well could have caused a jackknife accident in this type of test.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
That makes sense. I was wonder if the odd center of gravity had anything to do with it.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Yeah, I drove a trailer like that. Once.

Such a trailer can't help but sway, no lousy driving required. Once it gets above 20-30 MPH it'll start wagging it's tail and there's no good way to stop it short of hitting the trailer brakes, which is only good if you have electric brakes! And then once you let off the trailer brakes, it'll start back up again.

Of course too much tongue weight can cause problems, too. Too much weight on a fully articulating mounting point(trailer ball) is capable of tipping any which way. Which is why it's so important for the vast majority of the trailer weight to be on the axles! Weight on the axles is stabilized by the axles, in contrast to weight on the ball which is stabilized by NOTHING.

5th wheel and gooseneck trailers are much more forgiving in cases of improper loading, which is part of the reason they are so easy to tow!

Old 04-16-2010, 03:38 PM
juneau76
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great videos, Ed. Thanks!

Old 04-16-2010, 04:18 PM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
In the video demostrating torque, why does the dodge have zero oil pressure when the camera shows the dash?

Old 04-16-2010, 04:55 PM
i eat hybrids
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Crazy001
It would have made an already dangerously loaded trailer worse. The way it looked to me the trailer was loaded so as to be actually pulling up on the hitch instead of having any real tongue weight. This places the trailer COG behind the trailer axles and is what causes really funky handling.

When you crank up those spring bars it applies a torque to the hitch receiver that would effectively remove more weight from the tongue, which would have further lightened the rear axle of the truck. When you consider the crazy handling dynamics already imposed by the improperly loaded trailer, using such a hitch very well could have caused a jackknife accident in this type of test.
Ive done the same thing (had to choice lol) and if you go over thirty, it gets realllyy dangerous fast lol

Old 04-16-2010, 04:57 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bucci
In the video demostrating torque, why does the dodge have zero oil pressure when the camera shows the dash?
and it never moves..

Sam

Old 04-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bucci
cuz thats how Fiat builds em...

LOL...

Old 04-16-2010, 06:33 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Yeah, but did anyone catch the message center in the SD was saying "Trailer Disconnected?" Last time that happened to me I had a bad connection in my trailer plug and had no brakes!

Old 04-16-2010, 07:55 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Curios about the MPG video. It states lowest numerical drive ratio available for each truck, which is kind of relevant. Anyone know what rear ends the Chevy and Dodge offer? Ford is at a 3.55 now, right?

Also in the little passing video, I need some help understanding it. I'm a stick shift guy, but I notice this particular auto has a D M 2 1. I'll assume P & R are out of the picture. I understand D21, but what the heck is M ?

Thanks for sharing the videos Ed.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:03 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F350-6
Curios about the MPG video. It states lowest numerical drive ratio available for each truck, which is kind of relevant. Anyone know what rear ends the Chevy and Dodge offer? Ford is at a 3.55 now, right?

Also in the little passing video, I need some help understanding it. I'm a stick shift guy, but I notice this particular auto has a D M 2 1. I'll assume P & R are out of the picture. I understand D21, but what the heck is M ?

Thanks for sharing the videos Ed.
On the newer trannies, you can actually "shift" into the gear that you want. Instead of just putting it in 1 and not moving it, you can put it in "M", "shift" it up or down depending on what gear you are in.

Some of the foreign sports cars do the same thing with their auto trannies. I know atleast the G37 and the SC430 do that as well. Except they have "+" and "-" instead of "M".

That option is going to be as close to a manual as you hand shakers are going to get in the newer trucks.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:24 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025
On the newer trannies, you can actually "shift" into the gear that you want. Instead of just putting it in 1 and not moving it, you can put it in "M", "shift" it up or down depending on what gear you are in.

Some of the foreign sports cars do the same thing with their auto trannies. I know atleast the G37 and the SC430 do that as well. Except they have "+" and "-" instead of "M".

That option is going to be as close to a manual as you hand shakers are going to get in the newer trucks.
You've got my attention. How exactly does this M thing work? Where is the up/down shift lever or button? I'm pretty sure I can rig up a foot pedal with a spring in it to make me feel like I'm shifting gears

On a more serious note, how is the torque converter lock up controlled with this M setting? What are the limits on down shifting before the torque converter has to unlock? At what speed will it lock back up during acceleration in M mode?

Old 04-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
On a more serious note, how is the torque converter lock up controlled with this M setting? What are the limits on down shifting before the torque converter has to unlock? At what speed will it lock back up during acceleration in M mode?
From what I've read, it will lock the TC as much as possible to retain the manual transmission feel.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:50 PM
tex25025
Post Fiend
You've got my attention. How exactly does this M thing work? Where is the up/down shift lever or button? I'm pretty sure I can rig up a foot pedal with a spring in it to make me feel like I'm shifting gears

This is all that I have on the tranny at this point:

The 2011 Super Duty inspires confidence in the toughest driving situations with the all-new Heavy-Duty TorqShiftฎ 6-speed SelectShift Automatic™ transmission. As a headline in the powertrain story for 2011, the TorqShift delivers improvements in functionality, fuel efficiency and capability.
AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FEATURES
Manual Mode
<DIR>
• With the gearshift lever in M (Manual), the transmission offers SelectShift capability
• Driver shifts manually with gearshift lever-mounted switches
• Pressing the "+" button upshifts the transmission
• Pressing the "–" button downshifts the transmission
• Sequential gear engagement does not require operating a clutch
</DIR>
Progressive Range Select
<DIR>
• Range Select mode is engaged by pressing the "–" button on the shift lever. This is the same switch used to engage Manual mode
• Allows driver to reduce the range of available transmission gears while operating in Drive mode
• Message Center displays current transmission gear as well as the gears the transmission is available to shift into
</DIR>
Tow/Haul Mode
<DIR>
• Tow/Haul mode with Integrated Exhaust Brake (6.7L diesel only) gives drivers even greater control when traveling downhill
• Helps eliminate unwanted gear search on steep grades and allows engine braking to maintain vehicle speed and control on down grades
</DIR>• Helps reduce the use of service brakes, lengthening service intervals and minimizing maintenance costs

Quick Reply: Ford sent these to me this morning