Notices
1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 F350 E40D shifting problems

Old 04-12-2010, 12:08 PM
TonyFogg80
New User
TonyFogg80 is starting off with a positive reputation.
97 F350 E40D shifting problems

I have had this trucks tranny professionally rebuilt 3 times over the last year.
The first time they upgraded it with shift kit, heavy duty torque converter, steel planetaries, and a larger oil cooler. After about 4,000 miles the tranny went out and he had to rebuild it again under warranty(burnt tranny fluid, overdrive light started blinking and wouldn't shift out of 2nd.). After the next 4,000 miles it started shifting weird so I took it back in and he looked at it and took it all apart and said that he adjusted some springs in the shift kit but everything looked good. He cannot explain why it is doing what it's doing. He even switched out the valve body thinking there may be a crack in it. We took the truck again and drove it for awhile with normal use and being gentle on the tranny but within 2,500 miles it has started slipping in 1st and then from 3rd to 4th.
Back down to the store we went and this time he looked at it and said that everything still looks fine and he doesn't know what to tell us. He said the next thing he would try is either rebuilding or replacing the computer. Has anyone heard of this happening? Does anyone know if this could be caused by a computer issue?
The professional that we had rebuild it worked at Ford doing transmissions for over 10 years. He has a good reputation and although I think he would be happy to never hear from us again, I think he has done his best with the truck and I don't think he is jerking us around on it.

Also the tranny guy said that it looked like it had been rebuilt when he went in the first time. What would cause a tranny to go out repeatedly?? It has not been driven abusively and has only pulled a horse trailer and 5th wheel.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks

Old 04-12-2010, 01:19 PM
renegade14
Junior User
renegade14 is starting off with a positive reputation.
it very well could be the pcm i work at a ford dealership and i have a 97 f350 psd my trans went and i bought a reman from work and it shifted bad rite out of the box so i brought it in and rebuilt it under waranty drove it for about two weeks and it started doing the same thing so i contacted ford and they sent me another new one and that one aswell shifted bad so i said the hell with bought a truck with a 5psd and swaped it out puting the 5spd in mine all because it had a bad pcm but theres realy no way to tell that if u dont have a code to go by so unless your check eng light is on u wont no but u can get a new pcm prety reasonable so i would try that first