Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My truck is annoying me!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 10:34 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lately I can't stand this thing. It's been very very cold here, around 4-5 degrees. This thing is making all kinds of noises and it aggrivates me so much. The fan belt is making some kind of noise, not the typical really loud screech but a quieter non-ear piercing screech. I just put a new belt on and that didn't solve the problem. I checked the bearings and everyone of them felt fine except the one next to the tensioner, it kind of wobbled a little bit. Any ideas on where to start and what to fix? It seems like the side of the belt is rubbing on the side of the pulley somewhere but couldn't find it. It's not always a constant screech either, sometimes it fluctuates. Next, the door creeks ALL the time. Doesn't matter if i'm going 5mph or 100 it still makes the same sound. Sounds like it's coming from the door latch, what should I do? Next, when the manual trans shifter is in 3rd or 4th and 'im going slow, so the RPM is around 1200, the shifter rattles. It does it a lot more in 4th vs 3rd. It almost sounds like the vibration of a bogging engine coming through the shifter but the engine isn't really bogging. I can be in 5th at 1200 RPM and it doesn't make the same rattling noise but the engine is probably working even harder. That kind of rules out that the slightly bogged engine isn't making the rattling noise in 3rd or 4th. Next, seems like it's only when the truck is cold and not properly warmed up, there is a creek coming from what I believe to be the crossmember when I get on it in 1st or 2nd. With the clutch I don't even have to try very hard and it just makes these ugly clunk noises. I havn't been able to look under there yet though. Also, is it normal for the clutch to feel spongy when it's cold? I also noticed that it doesn't want to shift into gears worth of crap when it's cold. This is also kind of a rant. My truck is just totally annoying me because there are so many things wrong with it. The idle is messed up, there are a couple rust spots, the steering is rediculously loose, the P/S pump is pretty loud, all those creeking noises, the engine's lifters are tapping, i have an exhaust leak, etc etc. You guys ever feel like you want to just get rid of it?

Old 01-27-2003, 11:49 PM
Mr Man
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your creaking door problem, try spraying some lithium grease on the latch. I had the same problem, and a little grease fixed it for now.

I'm battling many of the same problems as you. I've come to expect it from domestic vehicles.

Scott

Old 01-28-2003, 12:11 AM
pbrstreetg
Senior User

No. I don't want to get rid of her, even though i was stuck again today (not mechanically, mud). When it warms up change the tranny mount and both motor mounts. Green Thunders not even long in the tooth yet.

Old 01-28-2003, 04:23 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend

I was contemplating going for a test drive in a newer F-150, maybe 2000ish. Sometimes I love this thing and sometimes I hate it. I havn't done a thing to it since turkey day. It just feels like it's 10 years older than it is. When you think 1995 it doesn't seem long ago but lots of wear and tear is in place after 8 years. If I buy a new truck, I can't buy a new snowmobile. Decisions decisions.

Old 01-28-2003, 05:26 PM
AlM
Posting Guru

yo,
On the crossmember squeak, try re-torquing all bolts, etc.

Yeah, our 78 Bronco demanded constant attention, but it was over 20 yrs old when it started to want daily maint.

If I had the $, I'd be one of those in the 97 & up Forum ...lol

Old 01-28-2003, 06:19 PM
gamehunter
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds to me like you kinda scratched the supercharger idea eons ago eh? 4 to 5 degrees is not even that cold so you shouldn't have to much trouble with the clutch feeling mushy. When it is that warm around here I usually just drive off within a couple minutes without letting my truck warm up. When it gets really cold though, you will notice the clutch peddle feels like there is nothing there. One time last year the temp was about 35 below. I pulled a boner and left my truck set outside overnight. After I fired it up, I let out the clutch and it didn't even come out!

Cold temps do cause alot of creeking like you are describing. I occationally hear creeks from my dash, windows, etc.

Old 01-28-2003, 08:27 PM
Duderoy
Tuned

I just replaced the idler ( not tension) pulley on my 95' F150--302. It was making a somewhat annoying schling sound and was intermittent. More often when cold though. Now she's as quiet as can be.

Old 01-28-2003, 08:44 PM
quads
Senior User

well its been very cold here as well in the cold its normal to hear different sounds everything just takes longer to get up and going use lithum or red grease to lube everything like latches and locks thats what we do at the shop makes a big difference let it warm up some outside and see how it does then then if it still has problems then start looking at things
Godbless
quads

Old 01-28-2003, 09:49 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend

Originally posted by Duderoy
I just replaced the idler ( not tension) pulley on my 95' F150--302. It was making a somewhat annoying schling sound and was intermittent. More often when cold though. Now she's as quiet as can be.
Could you kind of describe the sound it made a little better? 4-5 degrees is cold for massachusetts. It hasn't been this cold in YEARS, (thank god) I was thinking the whole earth was warming up. Last year we had a total of 15" of snow, when normally we get about 45-50". So after last year mostly being in the 30-40s and this year being in the single digits, its a big change. It's suppose to warm up this weekend to about 30-40 so I'll be outside working on it hopefully. I'll report back soon.

Old 01-28-2003, 09:51 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend

By the way, I scratched the supercharger idea when I found out that it wasn't going to be a piece of cake to change trannies. That and it would cost me about 8 grand for lift / tires/ gears/ wheels/ supercharger/ tranny so I held off. I might decide to build my own 351 with a supercharger after many hours of research.

Old 01-29-2003, 07:42 PM
Duderoy
Tuned

It's kind of hard to desribe the sound, but here we go. Imagine taking a bag full of pennies and bouncing them around, but muffled down almost like hearing it in another room. That's the best I can do; however when I took the pulley off I could duplicate the same sound turning it by hand.

Old 01-30-2003, 02:41 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend

Interesting description. I took a look under my truck at the crossmembers. This is in response to that god awful creek when I get on it hard in 1st or 2nd. I found that the crossmember to the tranny seems abnormal. There is a piece that goes straight across between the frame rails. That is the piece that the tranny/trans case is mounted to. Then off of that, on each side, there are two braces. One of the braces seems to have moved a little bit. Other then that I can't find anything abnormal by looking at it. I will have to invest some more time into it. The creek has gotten a lot worse in the last 2 weeks so I'm going to have to take it easy on her. I sprayed my door latches with lube and we'll see if that works. Any suggestions keep em comin.

Old 01-30-2003, 05:22 PM
RBrendel
Posting Guru

dude i had the same problem. when i was up in the rpms it would start screeching horribly, turns out the carrier barring (spelling?) was going out and the u joints needed to be replaced. all driveshaft problems. cost 280 for labor parts and everything. this is supposed to be a common problem for the trucks. but i have an automatic transmission but thats happened to me. not sure if this problem could happen on a standard.

Old 01-30-2003, 05:43 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend

Just so you know it's "bearing" but I'm not sure that I have the same symptoms as you did. It's not necessarily high RPM (didnt mention that before, my mistake). It's just load, when you get on it the whole drivetrain wants to twist and I think it's a crossmember making the noise. It's a fluctuating sound, hopefully I just need to tighten up the crossmember but we'll see. My U-joints need to be replaced but they arn't too bad.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:37 PM
flintster
New User

I had the same squealing sound on my truck more when cold outside regardless of engine temp. I thought it was the alternator but turns out to be tension pulley. Mine snapped off the bolt. I'll be replacing it the weekend. Also replacing the belt make no difference.