1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Seriously considering buying this powerstroke...need advice PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:49 PM
puller45
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run, run as fast as you can, away from this deal. I agree with Hammer65 this all sounds too hokey. It's not that good of a deal, keep looking.
On the other hand, you sound like you are already sold, so buy it and prepare to fix what's wrong.Without complaints.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:57 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Received 242 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomsen
I asked him if I could drive it for a day and he said he has another guy wanting to put a deposit down, he may be blowing smoke but who knows. He said I could take it for a few hours and look it over. I am going to take it over to a buddy's house in town. He has a shop so we can look things over. My buddy along with his dad are pretty knowledgable so I will get their opinion. I am leaving in an hour to go look at it again.
I worked briefly for the timeshare industry since I was curious to learn their techniques. As a telemarketer, we were taught to toss you a spiff and create a sense of urgency.

Me: Tell you what, I will upgrade you to not one but 2 extra sets of ginsu knives. Only problem is that my supervisor who will probably ok the deal since he needs the numbers leaves in 10 mins. The next supervisor is a hardazz and will never give an inch. So, can I put this on your Visa or Mastercard

Old 04-08-2010, 05:01 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by hammer65
If I were the seller, I would have accepted the deposit. I think that is smoke.
BINGO. I would have taken the deposit too. That way, if nothing else, I have the truck and the deposit. I would never hold a truck for you when someone presents me with a deposit. I'd rather have the money in hand than 2 people out there yammering about what they will do. A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.That is, unless you are talking about women then a bird in the bush is worth 2 in the hand.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I kinda agree, its smoke. I think he's trying to sell it to you by pretending someone else is interested. I would take your time and look it over carefully before you buy. If he's got another buy so be it, if not ball is in your court and you call the shots. Don't be pressured by a salesman!

Old 04-08-2010, 05:17 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by HP junkie
I kinda agree, its smoke. I think he's trying to sell it to you by pretending someone else is interested. I would take your time and look it over carefully before you buy. If he's got another buy so be it, if not ball is in your court and you call the shots. Don't be pressured by a salesman!
Or could he be trying to unload a POS onto the OP?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:23 PM
HP junkie
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by aklim
Or could he be trying to unload a POS onto the OP?
A 7.3L POS......is there such a thing?

Old 04-08-2010, 05:33 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by HP junkie
A 7.3L POS......is there such a thing?
Relatively speaking. LOL

Old 04-08-2010, 06:01 PM
hammer65
Posting Guru
Lets see. Dealer is asking $12,500, and you think he will come down, so you offer $11,500. Dealer thinks that you will come up some. He offers $12,000. If you offer $11,750 he might just take it.
You have already made it clear that the truck is worth $ 11,500 to you. He just wants all he can get.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 PM
aklim
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by hammer65
Lets see. Dealer is asking $12,500, and you think he will come down, so you offer $11,500. Dealer thinks that you will come up some. He offers $12,000. If you offer $11,750 he might just take it.
You have already made it clear that the truck is worth $ 11,500 to you. He just wants all he can get.
So why the rush to push him into the deal? Maybe he just wants the commission but it could be that he wants to push the guy into the sale before he finds out something or comes to his senses. Either way, makes me worried

Old 04-08-2010, 07:00 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It may be a great vehicle with just minor oil leaks and such but I thought when you buy a vehicle you want, a vehicle where you don't have to do anything too, maybe its just me. Doing things yourself is all well and dandy, we all do it here but if I'm dropping 12,000 grand on a vehicle, I want it with no leaks and as perfect as "used" it can get. Really, I know your excited and the dealer knows this, spend the money on an inspection from somebody you trust or is impartial to this sale and protect yourself, piece of mind. Sounds like a nice truck but protect yourself. Did I mention, protect yourself.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Ok so I bought the truck. I took it over to my buddy's shop where we checked for blowby and also just gave it the usual run-down. Everything checked out good. This truck was actually the dealership owners personal pickup. He bought it 4 years ago and has been driving off and on ever since. He just decided that he did not need a powerstroke diesel for a daily driver/backup vehicle anymore, he only put like 6,000 miles on it in 4 years. This is a local small town dealership that he just started 2 months ago and I am thinking he wants to appeal to the locals somewhat, so I dont think he wants to screw me over and make himself a bad name. He grew up around here and has worked for a Ford dealership for many years and just now started his own business. But then again who knows, maybe it will end up being a lemon. Time will tell whether I made a poor decision or not. I drove it home tonight and could not be happier thus far (I know I have owned the pickup for only 6 hours, LOL). I will post pics up tomorrow. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 04-08-2010, 10:31 PM
worm5932
Senior User
ok that being said.......time for more power!!!!!

Old 04-08-2010, 11:52 PM
Thomsen
Elder User
Originally Posted by worm5932
ok that being said.......time for more power!!!!!
....Only mod this engine has atm is it is straightpiped...not for long though

Old 04-09-2010, 06:26 AM
worm5932
Senior User
i got my 01 in september of 08 and i was kinda worrried about working on this animial, until i found this site. these guys have all been there and are willing to help. good luck!!

Old 04-09-2010, 08:22 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats on the new truck. I think you made a great deal, IF, what they told you is the truth. Like you said, I can't see them lying to you if they are trying to do business in a small town.

Waiting for the Pics.

Quick Reply: Seriously considering buying this powerstroke...need advice PLEASE!!