doing your own body work

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 10:51 PM
Carlene
Admom
Received 188 Likes on 116 Posts
doing your own body work

Ok guys, I wasn't going to, but I think it's time for me to step up to the plate again. Here's the original post by Joe:

Originally posted by Joe fix it
I am pondering over the Idea of doing my own body and paint work on my 70' F100, My question is this, are all of you who did your own satisfied with it or do you wish you went to a pro. I aint lookin for a show truck, just something to take out and be happy with.
I'm not a paint and body man, in fact, I'm not even a man!!! However, I am doing all of the sandblasting, bodywork (except for welding - that's hubby's job) and painting on our 1941 project truck. Have I had to redo some things? Yes!! Have I had to ask questions and get advice on the "how to's"? Yes!! Am I satisfied with the work I've done so far with our truck. You bet your a....... I can't think of anything more satisfying than to have someone come over to our house, see the work that's been done, compliment on it, and know that "I" did that!!!!!!!!!

I'm an accountant by trade. I got totally upset when I first started sandblasting and discovered that I ruined my nails. Other than painting our race car with "puff" cans, I've never tackled anything like this before. It may take longer, but I have more time than money. Besides, I'm having a blast!!!!!! It's kind of a no-brainer to figure out that part of the research in attempting a project like this involves finding out the costs, equipment needed and hazzards.

I'll stand by what I said before. Joe, if I can do it, anyone can!!!

Old 01-29-2003, 11:01 PM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
doing your own body work

Nicely Put Carlene! I Still get up and look forward to going to work to see what i can reconstruct or creat today! It isnt for everybody and takes alot of practice.

I came here to offer my experience in the field, and found negative posts about bad mistakes that somebody has or may make... Okay.. maybe will happen. Maybe not. Its how you learn and experience things. I think that there will be more positive to standing back and realizing hey... I did that!

I have a Collision and Custom's Shop in Kentucky. I will help anybody I can, be it questions, product referals, Pictures...Anything. Ever in the area Stop by... I'll put ya to work (its how you learn, at least how i learned, and how who taught me learned)

Sorry for stepping on Anybody's Toes..
Good Luck on the project. I hope you decide to Try it yourself I'm glad I started doing it.

Old 01-29-2003, 11:13 PM
Carlene
Admom
doing your own body work

Hi Scott - I've been following your posts and trust me, you have been helping. You've answered many posts in the short time you've been with us that no one else took the time to or knew how to.

By the Way, I also want to welcome you to FTE and hope you continue to be an active participant in this forum. Guys like you are very needed.

Old 01-29-2003, 11:24 PM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
doing your own body work

Thanks! Made my night Carlene. Just dont want to upset anybody or anything right off the bat ya know? I dont know it all, wish i did.. I'd be rich..sell the meaning of life or something..haha

For all those who are trying to get started into bodywork and painting be very happy to take step by step shots and post them.

Thanks for the welcome, been visiting FTE for a long time, just never was much into the forum. Allways busy with life and the shop, you know how that goes. Thankfully I've got help now which makes it easier.

I'm Back Quiet

Old 01-29-2003, 11:35 PM
Carlene
Admom
doing your own body work

Ok Scott - since you insist, inquiring minds want to know - how the heck do you keep the sandpaper from clogging???????

I asked a good friend of mine (bodyman for over 25 yrs) and he says you don't. Surely one of you young guns know a better answer than than!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-29-2003, 11:39 PM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
doing your own body work

Hmmmm Sanding what? Bondo? Primer? Color sanding?

Old 01-30-2003, 12:23 AM
Carlene
Admom
doing your own body work

Originally posted by 4starcstms
Hmmmm Sanding what? Bondo? Primer? Color sanding?
Epoxy primer.

Old 01-30-2003, 12:29 AM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
doing your own body work

Ack! I hate epoxy... Gets soo hard it either kills the cut on the sandpaper, orrrrrrr Clogs it up. My suggestion would be to put a little soap in the water... I prefer a spray bottle but some like a hose, or rag (as seen on House of kolor Video's)

If you have the choice, I would coat over the epoxy with a couple coats of something... I.e. use the epoxy as a sealer coat then use regular primer ontop.

We recently tried a 3n1 primer.. Can be sprayed over baremetal..or workas a medium or high build.. depending on how it was mixed. Sands like a dream, or so I think. Unsure about the longevity of the product thou, but the maker gaurentee's it for life. Can't be all bad.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:11 AM
Rosati
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doing your own body work

What about body filler? I rapaired a front fender on my car a few weekends ago. After I let the filler harden, about 4 hrs to be sure cuz it was cold out, I started with a 40 grit paper to remove the high stuff. Even this clogs. Once I get through the "skin" of the filler, I get a nice dry fluffy powder and no clogging of the paper. How do we stop that?
Or when spraying a guide coat over a spot and start sanding, the clogs gouges the filler you already had real close to perfect? I tell you it aint easy if you don't know all them pro tricks.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:19 AM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
doing your own body work

Depends on the brand of the bondo being used. The stuff sold at Autoparts stores likes to clog it up, as does Evercoat.

If you have a aircompressor you can try blowing the sandpaper off.. If you dont, you can pick some of the big clumps off. My thought would be, to break the skin use cheapo sandpaper (if there is such a thing anymore)

Sorry. Isnt a miracle tip on that one. btw you can use a hair dryer or heat gun to help speed the drying process up. Might help w/ that skin. Also on your first coat to roughly shape it, maybe try to cheese grate it (a long tool bout a inch wide looks like cheese grater)... Can help to rough shape it, and best part no clogging. Just dont let the bondo get hard. You want i slightly Soft. Like a medium hard cheese.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Carlene
Admom
doing your own body work

I haven't had any problems with the paper clogging when I sand the filler and I'm probably gonna get slammed for doing this by some of you, but it works for me and I'm pleased with the results.

I begin my filler sanding with my electric rotary palm sander and have yet to have any clogging problems. Once I've got it knocked down, I hand sand with finer paper to get the finish I want and feather the edges.

Old 01-30-2003, 08:57 AM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
doing your own body work

That works. Alot of bodymen do that. Some use nothing but air tools to shape and sand the bondo. Personally I think that it is alot harder to get the work straight that way but offers a ideal way to rough shape it.

Old 01-30-2003, 05:19 PM
Joe fix it
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
doing your own body work

It seems that alot of you have a lot to say about this, and I thank you for that, shows me that it is hard but yet rewarding. I think you guys and girls have convinced me this spring or summer I am going to do it. body and interior, then when I get more money rebuild the motor.

1970 Ford F100 Custom
302 3spd

Old 01-30-2003, 06:05 PM
4starcstms
Laughing Gas
doing your own body work

Good! Glad to hear it, and we'll be here to answer any questions that we can. =)

Old 02-02-2003, 04:26 AM
karljay
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
doing your own body work

I learned a great trick for sanding filler. Once the filler has dried, wipe it down with acetone, you'll notice that it takes off the resin.

You only need to do this once after the filler has dried. I also use air and a wire brush to clean the paper and sometimes a sharp scroll or awl.

As for doing your own bodywork and painting, I had no choice. Back in my college days, I couldn't afford to have someone do a pro job.

It takes a long time to do it right. On the last project, I kept filling and sanding for weeks to get it right whereas a pro might have been able to do the same thing in two days.

A few tips:

whenever you apply filler scratch the surface with a sharp nail or awl to get a good sticking surface.

clean the surface with acetone and let it dry for 10 min or more.

Start by pressing the filler very hard into the spot so that it works into the scratches, then smooth.

Filler dries quick, don't try to make if perfect as it's drying, you'll probably just make it worse. Learn the work time of filler, it changes with temp and hardner.

finish the body work with a good body putty like evercoat.

several coats of high-fill primer helps to hide small waves and it's very easy to sand.

I bought a straight line air sander and it's the best body tool I own!

Filler shouldn't be too thick, about 3/8" or so. Work the metal until it's close.