Brakes, Steering, Suspension, Tires, & Wheels  

new calipers, now spongy brakes after bleed

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 08:13 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gearloose1
Can you tell me in your jurisdiction how long do the consumer have to deal with the issue?

Can they use the vehicle in the mean time?
They have 10 days to make the repairs and they cannot use the vehicle until the repairs are made and the vehicle re-inspected.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by andym
I call BS on this. The EPA doesn't seize license plates. What state do you live in?
I am with you on this Andy. Let the EPA try to take my plates, the same goes for DEP and even DOT.

That was like Virginia trying to take my Georgia Driver's License. Georgia stopped them cold with a simple Letter Statement, "You did not issue them, you have not proven beyond a reasonable doubt that Georgia should revoke them, therefore you cannot take them." The judge fell out of his chair when I presented that letter from Georgia to him in the courtroom. I had residences in Georgia, West Virginia and Virginia at the time. I had Georgia Driver's license, West Virginia Insurance (base residence) and Virginia Registration on my vehicle (I had just bought it). I got involved in a minor fender bender and the Local Gestapo (town barnies) went ballistic. I was following the laws for all states, the vehicle was properly registered, it had insurance and tax stamps decals, and the driver had a legal license. There was not a damn thing they could do as I was able to prove all residences.

Now for road inspection of OTR tractors, I can see the DOT pulling a permit (no move until repairs are made), but no one has the authority to take plates for road violations or mechanical defects, not even mr. media's gestapo has that authority. I do not know where this line of BS came from, but I want to see the law.

I have noticed that the poser will not reveal his location. Both you and I have ask for it.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:23 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts
It is an informal cert that is obtained by practicing and publishing in the business in the "right" places with a regular frequency.
Get your hip waders out folks, it's getting pretty deep in this thread.

What is an informal cert? Is that like one of those certificates your 7th grade teacher gives out for finishing all your homework for the month of March?

Publishing? What have you published? Magazine articles on how to mis-diagnose a brake problem?

What are the "right" places? And what is the regular frequency?

Can you take a picture of this certificate and post it? I'd love to see it.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Talking

What is an informal cert? Is that like one of those certificates your 7th grade teacher gives out for finishing all your homework for the month of March?

Publishing? What have you published? Magazine articles on how to mis-diagnose a brake problem?

Hip waders HELL, this is going to require Chest Waders and possibly SCBA.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:51 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pmasley
They have 10 days to make the repairs and they cannot use the vehicle until the repairs are made and the vehicle re-inspected.

Ahhhh so that is the practice.

Effectively the same as de-registration of your vehicle if the repairs are not done.

Thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:54 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend

The most recent jobs involved:

setting up an experimental design to address the issue of whether transmissions can "lock" at extreme line pressures and refuse to shift with the mechanical and software safety devices disabled.

a look at electronic controls vs. mechanical controls in a particular system and what impact the elimination of mechanical controls have.

Beyond that, I am afraid, it is NDAed.

However, upon expiry of the NDA, expect to see these two subjects addressed.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:01 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Hip waders HELL, this is going to require Chest Waders and possibly SCBA.

Since you did not respond to this below:

If one or more critical defects are found on a bus, truck or trailer, an officer will remove the plates and inspection stickers from the specific vehicle unit. Vehicles will not be impounded for failing to meet Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) out-of-service standards. A vehicle found with a critical defect would be in much worse condition than a vehicle placed out-of-service.

The critical defect criteria set out very clear guidelines for determining when defects are serious enough to be considered critical to the safe operation of a commercial vehicle or trailer. Critical defect criteria have been developed for brakes, wheels and rims, steering, tires and suspension/frame components.

Suppose I can demonstrate to you that in fact, this is what is being done in at least one North American jurisdiction.

Would you withdraw your remarks?

BTW, I drive with commercial plates and I am subject to exactly that inspection.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:03 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Now we are getting somewhere. Commercial vehicles are totally different, but still DOT cannot remove plates or inspection stickers. They can mark a vehicle as "Out of Service" and not to be moved until repairs are complete. The unit can be towed to a repair shop with DOT approval. They DOT will reinspect and if the unit passes, they will remove the "Out of Service." A mechanic cannot remove an "Out of Service" on the unit.

I deal with heavy equipment. I know the rules about "Out of Service" to heavy equipment in my state. Your comments do not apply here or anywhere I know of on the East Coast.

Now a piece of heavy equipment with a bad or rusted through frame can be put "Out of Service" forever. All it can be used for is parts. Been there, seen that happen. I still have never seen one with a corroded front end. Worn parts maybe.

It may be done in one (your) jurisdiction, but I would love to see them (me being in your jurisdiction) do that to me.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:06 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Talking

Ahhhh so that is the practice.

Effectively the same as de-registration of your vehicle if the repairs are not done.

Thanks.
It is not a de-registration. Quit twisting words.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:22 PM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Now we are getting somewhere. Commercial vehicles are totally different, but still DOT cannot remove plates or inspection stickers.
It may be done in one (your) jurisdiction, but I would love to see them (me being in your jurisdiction) do that to me.
I never said it is the Feds (DOT) doing it.

It is the locals...

They are removing plates and inspection stickers for tampered with / inoperative emissions equipment, tuners, and an ever expanding list of "critical" safety defects.

That is why such things as EGR deletes are like.. an invitation to be nailed if you are ever stopped.

I don't doubt what you are saying for your jurisdiction.

But the...um... inspectors where I am have all the fun.

BTW, the above quotes are taken verbatim from the government document.

Sure, without plates, your vehicle can be towed to the repair shop.. have it done and re-inspected....

Old 04-12-2010, 09:48 PM
pmasley
Lead Driver
Just to nip this in the bud, no one will remove my plates or inspection sticker from my vehicle, regardless of what I do to it. I really do not care who they are. The only ones that has that authority is the issuing division (for the plates which is DMV and the sticker which is the State Police) and DMV will send the State Police to remove the plates or the State Police will remove the sticker. The only other person that has the authority to remove an inspection sticker is a State Vehicle Inspector and they have to do that in their shop. They cannot do it on the highway or at an inspection trap. So a bunch of corrupt EPA wannabes or inspectors in your jurisdiction basically can kiss my butt. They have no jurisdiction over my vehicle, regardless of who or what they think they are or can do.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:22 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Just to nip this in the bud, no one will remove my plates or inspection sticker from my vehicle, regardless of what I do to it. I really do not care who they are. The only ones that has that authority is the issuing division (for the plates which is DMV and the sticker which is the State Police) and DMV will send the State Police to remove the plates or the State Police will remove the sticker. The only other person that has the authority to remove an inspection sticker is a State Vehicle Inspector and they have to do that in their shop. They cannot do it on the highway or at an inspection trap. So a bunch of corrupt EPA wannabes or inspectors in your jurisdiction basically can kiss my butt. They have no jurisdiction over my vehicle, regardless of who or what they think they are or can do.

Let's see what the law is where I am.

Mechanics (private, not government officials inspect any vehicle, commercial, or otherwise, annually.

These are private parties.

When a vehicle fails inspection, they remove your APPROVAL sticker, and place a REJECT sticker on the opposite corner of the windshield.

That is:

Rejection Stickers
• Rejection sticker information must be completed by the certified mechanic, on the front
side of the sticker, showing the date of inspection.

•A rejection sticker will be issued when a vehicle fails to meet the minimum safety
requirements outlined by this manual.The sticker simply indicates that the owner has been
given an extension of fourteen days to comply with the requirements set out by the Motor
Vehicle Act.

• Operation of an unsafe vehicle is an offence, under the Motor Vehicle Act, Section 206(1):
No person shall operate and no owner shall cause or knowingly permit to be operated
any vehicle or combination of vehicles that
(a) is in such unsafe condition as to endanger any person…

•Two consecutive rejection stickers cannot be issued for a vehicle, (in any one year) unless
approved by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles.

• Rejection stickers are to be removed by a certified mechanic and replaced with an
approved sticker, after all of the previously failed items have been repaired, re-inspected
and approved.

The definition of "unsafe" is deliberately vague --- but a general rule is, if it involves a critical safety component like brakes --- if you drive out with the brakes not working at all, you have broken the law as stated.

Harder to make a case that it is against the law to drive out with the parking brake maladjusted...

The standards for inspection are so strict that many vehicles in drivable condition will fail.

Let's see what cause a fail under the brakes section:

REJECT VEHICLE IF:

Brake Components
1. Any bonded lining is less than 1.6 mm
(2/32 in.) when measured at the thinnest
point.
2. Any riveted lining surface is closer to the
rivet head than specified by the vehicle
manufacturer or if not specified 1.6 mm
(2/32 in.) at the thinnest point.
3. Any disc brake wear indicator is
indicating that the friction material is
worn beyond the manufacturer’s
recommended limit or contacting the
rotor.

4. The anti lock braking system shows any
indication of not being operational.

This specifically applies to the vehicle of the OP

5. Any brake lining is broken or loose on its
shoe or pad.
6. Any brake lining shows evidence of
contamination sufficient to affect braking
performance.
7. If brake pads or brake shoes do not have
full contact with brake drum or brake
rotor during application; i.e. corrosion
build-up.

Or...

Brake Drum
1. The drum has cracks on friction surface
extending to the open edges.
2. Mounting holes elongated or the friction
surface is contaminated.
3. Any brake drum has an inside diameter
greater than the maximum diameter
stamped on the drum.
Brake Rotor
1. The rotor has cracks on the friction
surface extending to an open edge.
2. Any brake disc has a thickness less than
the minimum thickness stamped on the
disc.

Vacuum Booster and
Hydraulic Booster

1. The pedal does not move slightly as
engine is started while force is on brake
pedal.

Vacuum Segment of System
1. There is insufficient vacuum reserve to
permit one full brake application after
engine is shut off.
1. The parking brake will not hold the
vehicle stationary with the engine
running at slightly accelerated speed
with shift lever in drive position or with
shift lever in low gear with clutch
engaged for standard transmission.
2. Set and release functions of parking
brake do not operate properly.
3. Brake system warning light fails to
illuminate or remains on after park brake
is released.

http://www.gnb.ca/0276/vehicle/pdf/mechanicguide-e.pdf

They cannot do it on the highway or at an inspection trap. So a bunch of corrupt EPA wannabes or inspectors in your jurisdiction basically can kiss my butt. They have no jurisdiction over my vehicle, regardless of who or what they think they are or can do.

Stay where you are within your state boundaries. You are very safe there.

Where I am, regular Mechanics (nearly every shop is a "licensed inspection station") do have the authority to in effect, pull the vehicle's APPROVAL sticker....

Read the inspection manual for yourself.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Spike Engineering
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm glad to see that this thread has become full of useless posts regarding the specific meaning of specific words in specific locations, although those specific locations won't be disclosed. It's entertaining.

BTW, the easiest fix for the "ABS light on" is to put a piece of black tape over it.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:46 AM
gearloose1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Spike Engineering
I'm glad to see that this thread has become full of useless posts regarding the specific meaning of specific words in specific locations, although those specific locations won't be disclosed. It's entertaining.

BTW, the easiest fix for the "ABS light on" is to put a piece of black tape over it.

The locations are clearly disclosed in the links above.

Do your "fix" with tape, and enjoy yourself if you should be involved in an accident.

Old 04-13-2010, 10:53 AM
pmasley
Lead Driver
So it is Canada and not the States. You were leading me on to believe that you were below the border. I am not familiar with your laws regarding vehicle inspection and what your gestapo can do. If your citizens allow those type of tactics, then so be it.

Read my earlier post. Those types of tactics are not allowed in the States except for commercial vehicles, still, even during safety inspections, no one is allowed to remove plates or stickers. "Out of Service" is used. The drivers and owners can be fined for gross failures, but not your stated gestapo tactics.

Quick Reply: new calipers, now spongy brakes after bleed