Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

TEXAS SIZED B.S. THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 AM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no doubt....it gets irritating when you have awesome weekdays and then have to stay in the house all weekend

Old 05-13-2010, 08:12 AM
knash0727
Elder User
Morning yall... Thank ya for the congrats.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:30 AM
texans
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
congrats Kyle on the 4.0 thats awesome, and morning to all. Hows everything going. Its raining like a son of a ___. here this morning. well anyways have a good day everyone.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:31 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow SORRY FOR THE OT

NO BS

HOTEL KEY CARDS

Ever wonder what is on your magnetic key card?

Answer:
a. Customer's name
B. Customer's partial home address
c. Hotel room number
d. Check-in date and out dates
e. Customer's credit card number and expiration date!

When you turn them in to the front desk your personal information is there for any employee to access by simply scanning the card in the hotel scanner.. An employee can take a hand full of cards home and using a scanning device, access the information onto a laptop computer and go shopping at your expense.

Simply put, hotels do not erase the information on these cards until an employee reissues the card to the next hotel guest. At that time, the new guest's information is electronically 'overwritten' on the card and the previous guest's information is erased in the overwriting process.

But until the card is rewritten for the next guest, it usually is kept in a drawer at the front desk with YOUR INFORMATION ON IT!

The bottom line is: Keep the cards, take them home with you, or destroy them. NEVER leave them behind in the room or room wastebasket, and NEVER turn them into the front desk when you check out of a room. They will not charge you for the card (it's illegal) and you'll be sure you are not leaving a lot of valuable personal information on it that could be easily lifted off with any simple scanning device card reader.

For the same reason, if you arrive at the airport and discover you still have the card key in your pocket, do not toss it in an airport trash basket. Take it home and destroy it by cutting it up, especially through the electronic information strip!

If you have a small magnet, pass it across the magnetic strip several times. Then try it in the door, it will not work. It erases everything on the card.

Information courtesy of: Metropolitan Police Service.

PLEASE FORWARD to friends and family .

Old 05-13-2010, 06:55 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Good info Rocky, do you also know they have scanners that can get information right out of your wallet if they get within 5' of you or your significant others purse.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:17 PM
texans
Postmaster
The part that Rocky said I knew, and I already dont leave the cards. but what Steve said I didn't know. anyway to keep from this Steve?

Old 05-13-2010, 08:15 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

nope, they can scan in an elevator, escalator, or anywhere they can get close.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:21 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

its not the magnetic stripe ones, they are RFID coded, AMEX, Chase.....here is an article

RFID Credit Cards and Theft: Tech Clinic - Popularmechanics.com

Old 05-13-2010, 08:27 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by sddesigns
Good info Rocky, do you also know they have scanners that can get information right out of your wallet if they get within 5' of you or your significant others purse.
That does it. I'm burning the wife's purse tomorrow.

Do the hotel cards have RFID chip in them or is it just the magnetic swipe thing? If they have RFID, they do sell wallets and stuff that will shield those signals. I've thought of ordering one just to have before I need it.

By the way, for any of you who have not voted for my wife in the round 5 diesel championship thread, I'd appreciate the vote.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:33 PM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Interesting....i must say that the technology out never fails to amaze me! I knew the whole deal with the hotel key cards....but the whole RFID thing is insane!

Originally Posted by F350-6
By the way, for any of you who have not voted for my wife in the round 5 diesel championship thread, I'd appreciate the vote.
She got my vote!! My gf loved the pink theme

Old 05-13-2010, 08:45 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched them do a scan on like good morning america or someething like that on the get close to them and scan it. I then saw how personal info was gathered by people at a coffee shop that was using wireless. That one was crazy.

Chris burn them anyway.

Dragging a strong batt. over them is suppost to clear them but cutting them up is a sure fire delete.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

just remember demagnetizing them makes the store run a paper copy of your card, now someone gets to handle your info on a piece of paper.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:58 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
And demagnetizing them before you check out means you won't be able to get back in your hotel room.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:12 PM
sddesigns
Super Moderator

Read this and make a copy for your files in case you need to refer to it someday. Maybe we should all take some of his advice! A corporate attorney sent the following out to the employees in his company:

1. Do not sign the back of your credit cards. Instead, put 'PHOTO ID REQUIRED.'

2. When you are writing checks to pay on your credit card accounts, DO NOT put the complete account number on the 'For' line. Instead, just put the last four numbers. The credit card company knows the rest of the number, and anyone who might be handling your check as it passes through all the check processing channels won't have access to it.

3. Put your work phone # on your checks instead of your home phone. If you have a PO Box use that instead of your home address. If you do not have a PO Box, use your work address. Never have your SS# printed on your checks. (DUH!) You can add it if it is necessary. But if you have It printed, anyone can get it.

4. Place the contents of your wallet on a photocopy machine. Do both sides of each license, credit card, etc. You will know what you had in your wallet and all of the account numbers and phone numbers to call and cancel.. Keep the photocopy in a safe place.
I also carry a photocopy of my passport when I travel either here or abroad. We've all heard horror stories about fraud that's committed on us in stealing a Name, address, Social Security number, credit cards..

Unfortunately, I, an attorney, have first hand knowledge because my wallet was stolen last month. Within a week, the thieves ordered an expensive monthly cell phone package, applied for a VISA credit card, had a credit line approved to buy a Gateway computer, received a PIN number from DMV to change my driving record information online, and more.
But here's some critical information to limit the damage in case this happens to you or someone you know:

5. We have been told we should cancel our credit cards immediately. But the key is having the toll free numbers and your card numbers handy so you know whom to call. Keep those where you can find them.

6.. File a police report immediately in the jurisdiction where your credit cards, etc., were stolen. This proves to credit providers you were diligent, and this is a first step toward an investigation (if there ever is one).

But here's what is perhaps most important of all: (I never even thought to do this.)

7. Call the 3 national credit reporting organizations immediately to place a fraud alert on your name and also call the Social Security fraud line number.. I had never heard of doing that until advised by a bank that called to tell me an application for credit was made over the Internet in my name.

The alert means any company that checks your credit knows your information was stolen, and they have to contact you by phone to authorize new credit..

By the time I was advised to do this, almost two weeks after the theft, all the damage had been done. There are records of all the credit checks initiated by the thieves' purchases, none of which I knew about before placing the alert. Since then, no additional damage has been done, and the thieves threw my wallet away this weekend (someone turned it in). It seems to have stopped them dead in their tracks..

Now, here are the numbers you always need to contact about your wallet, if it has been stolen:

1.) Equifax: 1-800-525-6285 1-800-525-6285

2.) Experian (formerly TRW): 1-888-397-3742 1-888-397-3742

3.) Trans Union : 1-800-680 7289 1-800-680 7289

4.) Social Security Administration (fraud line):
1-800-269-0271 1-800-269-0271

Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 PM
texans
Postmaster
Good, no great info Steve. reps to you.

Quick Reply: TEXAS SIZED B.S. THREAD