73 302

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:42 AM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 94 Likes on 88 Posts
73 302

I have a 73 Econoline with a 302 2v and C-4 automatic, I'd love some muscle and think building the 302 is just pointless as I'm stuck on the belief it's a car engine, not for something heavy. It has 93,000 miles and doesn't look past 10 years old, never been opened, you can see the signs. Would it be worth while to slap a cam in it, timing set, Duraspark II upgrade, or should I leave it be. I really want to do the electronic ignition upgrade to improve starting, drags, and idles high, not sure the reason the shop that last tuned it up did this. I have to replace the accelerator pump in it, believe it's leaking down, requires extra pumping to start it, age and sitting got it I think. I just bought it, it's been sitting in a garage a while, last year was driven cross country and back tho.
Later I want to upgrade so how about a 351W, mild cam or RV cam, and 2 barrel, or a 351C with similar setup. I want it factory painted, hide the fact that it's not a stock 302 at a glance, I do like the sleeper look. A 4 barrel can't make that much difference can it, and headers now can they? Is there a certain year I'd want to grab and go from there, I'm not completely building anything either, I'm talking stock form, bore & stroke, bolt on heads, but cam upgrade.