1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clunk during upshift after Pinion Seal replacement ...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 09:23 AM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clunk during upshift after Pinion Seal replacement ...

So I replaced my leaky pinion seal .. it was slinging oil all over so it was time. I went ahead and ordered a new flange along with the seal, pinion nut, & drive shaft flange bolts as I had high suspicions why it was leaking. Upon disassembly, I found my suspicions to be correct .. the original pinion flange was grooved. No leaks now!

Anyway, the job went resonably smooth ... I measured preload before and after and generally felt things were good when I buttoned it back up. I detect no side-to-side or up-and-down movement at the pinion flange and had a slight drag w/ about a 12 in lb preload.

Test driving afterwards, I hear no sounds during acceleration, coast, or deceleration. I can stomp the pedel at a coast and hear nothing, and I can let off the pedel during a hard acceleration and hear nothing. The housing is not unresonably warm after a good drive.

But, what I am hearing now is a "clunk" when the auto trans upshifts from 2nd to 3rd during a mild stop light acceleration. I'm 95% sure this was not there before the job. The first thing that came to mind was a backlash probelm .. but what could I have done to change the backlash? Anybody have any ideas as to a cause?

Old 03-31-2010, 10:46 AM
Ky T Fordman
New User
There is a torque value for the pinion nut make sure that is correct. It will not take much to make a backlash problem. Also do you have a limited slip diff? Very possible to get a clunk sound from this.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:03 AM
JockD
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure that the u-joints are seated properly and the clamps are tight. Any slop in the needle bearings or clamping of the races will cause a clunk.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:39 AM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
Originally Posted by JockD
Make sure that the u-joints are seated properly and the clamps are tight. Any slop in the needle bearings or clamping of the races will cause a clunk.
Was thinking this too ... but I have all new Spicer U-Joints & Strap Kits; less than a month old!

I'll eyeball 'um again just to be safe ...

Old 04-01-2010, 06:54 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i'd start at the rear of the trans and work your way back..

check all your fasteners and give everything a good wiggle test...

Old 04-01-2010, 08:38 PM
06silvercrew
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ky T Fordman
There is a torque value for the pinion nut make sure that is correct. It will not take much to make a backlash problem. Also do you have a limited slip diff? Very possible to get a clunk sound from this.

No this is the 10.25/10.5 axle, it has a crush sleeve so he did it correctly by measuring pre-load. The dana 80 has a specific tq spec (470#)