1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

NO start HOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:42 PM
14psd
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NO start HOT

I know this has been talked about a bunch of times and I'm having trouble finding the links. Anyway, truck starts fine cold(oil thick) drive truck and turn it off (oil thin) truck won't start. I check the HPOP regularly and this time it is low. So I top it off and it still won't start til it cools off. I haven't put a gauge on either side nor blocked off either line from it yet because I don't have a gauge not the fittings. Who has this gauge/ what type of gauge should I use? And what type of fittings are they that are needed? I also am wondering if it is the ICP or the IPR. I am only speculating here I am NOT the trained professional like alot of ya'll. Because two of the codes I have had are p1212 yesterday when the truck quit and wouldn't start and the fuel station. And p0603 today and the mechanic's garage who put a snap on scanner on it. I hope I covered alot of the questions. Oh one more thing I have removed the fuel bowl heater and checked all of the fuses all are good.

Old 03-30-2010, 12:53 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 14psd
I know this has been talked about a bunch of times and I'm having trouble finding the links. Anyway, truck starts fine cold(oil thick) drive truck and turn it off (oil thin) truck won't start. I check the HPOP regularly and this time it is low. So I top it off and it still won't start til it cools off. I haven't put a gauge on either side nor blocked off either line from it yet because I don't have a gauge not the fittings. Who has this gauge/ what type of gauge should I use? And what type of fittings are they that are needed? I also am wondering if it is the ICP or the IPR. I am only speculating here I am NOT the trained professional like alot of ya'll. Because two of the codes I have had are p1212 yesterday when the truck quit and wouldn't start and the fuel station. And p0603 today and the mechanic's garage who put a snap on scanner on it. I hope I covered alot of the questions. Oh one more thing I have removed the fuel bowl heater and checked all of the fuses all are good.
My first thought is IPR o-rings.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:11 PM
14psd
Senior User
I take it those aren't very difficult to do. Is it worth the money to replace the IPR since I'm doing that or not if it is still working. Truck has 215K on her.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:55 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

I take it those aren't very difficult to do. Is it worth the money to replace the IPR since I'm doing that or not if it is still working. Truck has 215K on her.
I really dont know, but if I were you, I first clean well the IPR, change the o-rings and test it. If it works, fine, I saved some $$$$$$$$$$$$, if not, buy a new one.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:02 PM
funzjb1
Senior User
Mine did the EXACT SAME THING !!!! and it was the IPR o-rings what was weird they did not even look bad. Changed them out and now back up and running no problems

Old 03-30-2010, 05:27 PM
14psd
Senior User
Thats the sensor that screws into the hpop on the drivers side of the engine real close to the ICP correct?

Old 03-30-2010, 05:33 PM
funzjb1
Senior User
yes you are correct.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:28 PM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

X2, look at it in this pics:

Attached Images   
Old 03-30-2010, 07:35 PM
adamtheman16
Senior User
Thats the sensor that screws into the hpop on the drivers side of the engine real close to the ICP correct?
Its actually a regulator valve, not a sensor, just for clarification.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 PM
14psd
Senior User
what is that sensor thing that screws into the back of the hpop? Roentgeep thanks for the pics. I ordered the o ring kit from international today it will be in when I get off work. So this oring kit I am getting please explain where they go. I was under the impression I would be removing the IPR and putting these o rings on that. I'm confused a bit now. Do they go on the high pressure lines or on the IPR?

Old 03-30-2010, 09:36 PM
adamtheman16
Senior User
Ok, on the first pic, i think you spotted it, the metal looking thing poking out the back on the drivers side with a little sheet metal nut on the end of it and a black plastic plug on the top. That is the Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR). It is the valve that regulates the high pressure oil pumps pressure. It has o-rings on it to seal the pressure side from the drain side of the valve. If the o-rings start to leak, it leaks oil by bypassing the valve, therefore dropping pressure below what it is supposed to be. Usually the oil, when hot, is thin enough to flow faster through the bad spot in the o-ring, causing more pressure loss when hot, hence no start.

The sheet metal nut is 3/4" nut that holds the coil on the valve. Remove the nut, unplug the coil (or don't, sometimes retrieving the coil is easier with it plugged in since you can pull it out of there with the wires). and remove the coil.

The valve requires a deep 1 1/8" socket the break loose after the coil is off. It unscrews by hand usually after it is broken loose and then rotated a few degrees with the tool.

If the o-rings don't have any bad spots, its probably not the leaking o-rings. Put them on anyway and see. Like [B]funzjb1[B] said, maybe it'll fix it. I have never seen good looking o-rings not work though.

If you still have the problem, you have the chore of figuring out if its the IPR, the high pressure pump, or the injector o-rings.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 PM
14psd
Senior User
thanks Adam that helps ALOT. Now I have a plan for tomorrow after work.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
By the way the second pic that Roentgeep posted is of a SD. The SD's have o-rings on the HPOP hose connections. Ours (OBS) are compression fittings and do not have o-rings. The SD's are quick disconnect fittings ours are threaded.

FYI

Old 03-31-2010, 10:55 AM
RÖENTGEEP
FOREIGN GURU

Wink

I agree with what stated above. The sensor you are asking for is the OTS (oil temp sensor).
Here is the IPR along and squematic. FYI the edge filter only is for earlier IPR IIRC, if not some body will chime in later.
also check this links:
IPR rebuild pictures from trucks photos on webshots
IPR1 pictures from trucks photos on webshots

Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2010, 06:14 PM
14psd
Senior User
Thanks again RÖENTGEEP . Now it makes since.

Quick Reply: NO start HOT