Right temp for using filler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 09:43 AM
78bigunns
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Right temp for using filler?

What is the lowest working temp of fillers like the "Rage" stuff? Could you use it on a 30-40 degree day as long as there is no moisture? Also, some of my repair work is around the windshield and back window. Can these be removed by the ordinary home mechanic? Special tools? Would it be better to hire a glass company to make two separate trips, one for removal, another for good reinstall? The back slider is doesn't seem too bad, but that big old windshield makes me nervous...............

P.S. - With all this cold weather here is Virginia, some of the paint on my hood actually popped off. It was O.K. last week, I went to drive her yesterday, and about a dinner plate sized area has cracked and popped up away from the metal. How can this be prevented when I do my paint work?

Old 01-26-2003, 11:18 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Right temp for using filler?

Since the bondo uses a chemical reaction to harden, I suppose the cold weather would slow it down. You might experiment on some scrap. The large area of paint coming off sounds like poor prep work or maybe moisture?

I went to get a new windshield gasket recently. They got the glass out ok. But it cracked going back in. The new gaskets are made for a thinner windshield. Too much stress was on the old glass. So I ended up with a new windshield.