1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best bass additive for inside the cab

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 07:44 PM
patrickke
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have about 800 in a single cab going to two mtx 45 series subs, components and nice coaxials and love it

Old 03-31-2010, 09:02 PM
wildcatkit52
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bayou barataria
500 watts to a subwoofer in a truck cab? You will be deaf by the time you reach 40.
What? Did you say something?

Any decent sub will work. If you want sound quality and "enough" bass then one 10 will be fine. Good thing about that is for a good tight bass note you don't want a large box. I have quite a few different brands laying around. No name brand is "better" than another unless it is just a cheap brand. I personally like to listen to the exact MODEL speakers in the EXACT enclosure I intend to use in whatever vehicle...

Brands I have had good luck with are Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, JBL, Polk, Alpine, Memphis Audio, Audiobahn, JL Audio, Pioneer, and like the sound quality of some Infinity's I have heard.

Go to Crutchfield.com and look around. Different speakers are designed for different types of boxes and different types of music. Crutchfield is good about breaking each one down easily for people to see what they should be looking at. I would then go to a few local stores and LISTEN to the ones you checked out on crutchfield.

Then compare prices vs. the sound you like...

P.S.

Bazooka tubes SUCK!

Old 04-02-2010, 02:51 PM
DJ2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Actually that amp is 350 watts to the 4ohm load on that woofer, it actually has great sound and is not overpowering. I will be 40 in 3 1/2 years and I think I'll make it with hearing intact lol. I actually spent a long time as a mobile electronics installer. This is the second smallest stereo system I have had in a vehicle. At one point I had 12 JL audio 10's in the back seat of an ex-cab dodge dakota.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:58 PM
420CREW
Senior User
Originally Posted by DJ2
I just bought this yesterday for $279 from a local stereo shop (best buy has them for $299) I should hopefully be installing it today and I will let you know how it sounds. Good thing is that if it is not enough bass there is room for a second one behind the seat.

Rockford Fosgate P3L-S12 Sealed truck-style enclosure with one 12" Punch Stage 3 Shallow subwoofer at Crutchfield Signature

gonna be running it with this amp:

Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com
so do you like the way it sounds? how much was the amp?

Old 04-02-2010, 03:33 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
If you have the skills...

I built a 4th order bandpass with a single 10" driver. The box is mounted below the bed in front of the driver's rear wheel (between the frame rail and fender panel). The port opens under the rear seat.

The sound is flat incredible, and I lost no cab space.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:28 PM
DJ2
Freshman User
It sounds good, I paid $229 for the amp. If you want deep low bass (below 45hz) this is not the box for you but if you listen to music that does not play that low then it is perfect. I listen to all genres of rock music and watch dvds and so far everything has sounded good

Old 04-02-2010, 05:07 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Also, loud (in the 90 to 120 dB range) sounds below 100 Hz are FAR less damaging than loud sounds above 100Hz. That is why OSHA defined A and C weighted measurement methods. And why you are much more likely to suffer permanent hearing damage from a circular saw than a subwoofer...
Of course, REALLY LOUD (130dB +) is damaging at all frequencies.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
Originally Posted by DJ2
I just bought this yesterday for $279 from a local stereo shop (best buy has them for $299) I should hopefully be installing it today and I will let you know how it sounds. Good thing is that if it is not enough bass there is room for a second one behind the seat.

Rockford Fosgate P3L-S12 Sealed truck-style enclosure with one 12" Punch Stage 3 Shallow subwoofer at Crutchfield Signature

gonna be running it with this amp:

Rockford Fosgate Prime R500-1 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 500 watts RMS at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com

Both of those will certainly do the job. I do recommend though buying audio gear on-line as you save some serious $$$$. Check things out at stores and then visit places like etronics or sonicelectronics.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:23 PM
420CREW
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rugby3
Both of those will certainly do the job. I do recommend though buying audio gear on-line as you save some serious $$$$. Check things out at stores and then visit places like etronics or sonicelectronics.
Any cheaper alternatives?

Old 04-03-2010, 10:35 PM
Rugby3
Elder User
Originally Posted by 420CREW
Any cheaper alternatives?
The online stores will be cheaper compared to crutchfield and any box store. Building sub boxes is easy if you pay attention to detail so you are only paying for wood (MDF) and the cost of the sub(s) and the incidental wiring connections, carpeting.

When it comes to amps you have plenty to choose from. Rockford makes some good products but there are tons of alternatives. Spend some time cruising the audio section here and at other car/truck sites to get an idea of brands.

I myself have been running Kenwood amps for 25 years and never had an issue with anyone one of them. My current 4 channel amp is 15 years old and I have a smaller mono amp that is about 12 years old that I replaced with another used Kenwood that I got for a steal.

The great thing about car audio is you get everything in stages while still enjoying your music.

Old 04-03-2010, 10:46 PM
420CREW
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rugby3
The online stores will be cheaper compared to crutchfield and any box store. Building sub boxes is easy if you pay attention to detail so you are only paying for wood (MDF) and the cost of the sub(s) and the incidental wiring connections, carpeting.

When it comes to amps you have plenty to choose from. Rockford makes some good products but there are tons of alternatives. Spend some time cruising the audio section here and at other car/truck sites to get an idea of brands.

I myself have been running Kenwood amps for 25 years and never had an issue with anyone one of them. My current 4 channel amp is 15 years old and I have a smaller mono amp that is about 12 years old that I replaced with another used Kenwood that I got for a steal.

The great thing about car audio is you get everything in stages while still enjoying your music.
I just dont know what to look for I want it to be easy and sound good everytime I go to a store I get a sales pitch and online chat at different companies usually yield the same results. I like bass. I listen to country, Rock, Hip Hop, And heavy metal. and I want it to sound good with all of them

Old 04-03-2010, 11:26 PM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If $ is tight right now don't waste it buying a cheap box/ sub. As already posted....upgrade your door speakers now get a sub later. I had 3 sets of Infinity speakers in my crew cab and didn't like them, could not get them to tune right, so we put them in my brothers Supercab and they sounded really good, better then in my crew cab...go figure? Anyway I settled on MB Quart for the hi/mid and then custom built the rear console to house a JLW12 with 1000w. Do it one piece at a time as the money flow dictates, you will eventually get what you are happy with. Also be aware there are basically 2 classes of subs available....SQ (sound quality) and SP (sound pressure).

Old 04-03-2010, 11:46 PM
fyrdude
New User
I just added a JL Audio 8" sub, nice thing about it is it's from the manufacturer in the box, so it's mated and ported correctly. Fits behind my rear seat, barely. I'm using an Alpine 300 watt amp to run it. I have another Alpine 1000 w amp wired to new Pioneer 3 ways that I've replaced my 4 stock speakers with. Both amps are under my rear seat.
Im no audiophille, and I'm 46 years old... I listen to country, rock, and almost everything in between and I'm VERY happy with the sound.

Old 04-03-2010, 11:53 PM
420CREW
Senior User
Originally Posted by rotun
If $ is tight right now don't waste it buying a cheap box/ sub. As already posted....upgrade your door speakers now get a sub later. I had 3 sets of Infinity speakers in my crew cab and didn't like them, could not get them to tune right, so we put them in my brothers Supercab and they sounded really good, better then in my crew cab...go figure? Anyway I settled on MB Quart for the hi/mid and then custom built the rear console to house a JLW12 with 1000w. Do it one piece at a time as the money flow dictates, you will eventually get what you are happy with. Also be aware there are basically 2 classes of subs available....SQ (sound quality) and SP (sound pressure).

I like the rear door speaker are they custom or can you by them somewhere?

thanks for the tips i will start looking for some good stock upgrades! Any recommendations?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:08 AM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks, the speakers are MB Quart (Germany) and are available online. The mounting is custom and very simple but time consuming. The stock speaker holes are very shallow so I needed to build out. If you have woodworking tools (jigsaw, router) they are made of either 3/8" or 1/4" mdf trimmed and shaped to fit in the stock recess, a trim ring (also mdf) under the speaker that is glued & stapled to the backerboard and beveled. Covered with black vinyl (leather accent). Don't forget to skin the inside of the cab with some sort of audio absorption matting.......very important step to obtain a high quality sound inside the cab.

Quick Reply: Best bass additive for inside the cab