1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WVO

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 09:25 PM
amaralsoccer
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WVO

I recently purchased a 99 f350 powerstroke 7.3L, i love the truck just dont love the millage iam currently running the performance tune from the SCT X3 tunner. i have 4 inch grandrock stacks and love the sound.

well getting to my question iam runnning B20 bio diesel and iam planning on doing a trip from R.I. to florida. i am going to be getting a 350 gallon tank that fits right into the bed and iam planing on storing filtered WVO in it. the plan was to start the morning of the trip with regular diesel to let the motor warm up and as the tank empty's fill it up with the WVO and as iam close to my destination run reg. diesel again to clean out the lines. does anyone see a problem with this. i was also planing a mixing the WVO in the tank with the diesel Kleen from power service. and is there a way that i can do this daily?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:26 PM
amaralsoccer
New User
Question WVO

[quote=amaralsoccer;8668857]I recently purchased a 99 f350 powerstroke 7.3L, i love the truck just dont love the millage iam currently running the performance tune from the SCT X3 tunner. i have 4 inch grandrock stacks and love the sound.

well getting to my question iam runnning B20 bio diesel and iam planning on doing a trip from R.I. to florida. i am going to be getting a 350 gallon tank that fits right into the bed and iam planing on storing filtered WVO in it. the plan was to start the morning of the trip with regular diesel to let the motor warm up and as the tank empty's fill it up with the WVO and as iam close to my destination run reg. diesel again to clean out the lines. does anyone see a problem with this. i was also planing a mixing the WVO in the tank with the diesel Kleen from power service. and is there a way that i can do this daily?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:43 PM
brob1969
Freshman User
Keep the WVO in the separate tank; don't put it in your main tank for any reason. You need to heat the oil itself to get the viscosity correct for running through your injectors. Your lines all need to be insulated, you need a heat exchanger in the tank that is tied in to your cooling system, you need a heated filter, and you need a solenoid that allows you to switch to regular diesel or bio before you shut down EACH TIME. If you shut off the motor with veggie in the injectors and it cools down, you won't be starting back up.

I would do some major research on system design before you go too far; the veggie oil needs to be treated with kid gloves. You need multiple filtration in order to keep water and debris out of the injection system. I have a generator I run on straight veg and it requires care each time it is used.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:23 AM
redford
Received 1,550 Likes on 905 Posts
You might try the Alternative Fuels, Hybrids and Mileage forum, a bit further down the list from the main forum page.

Alternative Fuels, Hybrids and Mileage - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Ask the members in that section about your lan. You'll get some great feedback from some owners who have done this already.

From what I know, you will need something to heat the WVO before you can use it, as WVO is usually solid at room temp. A coolant line ran through the tank is the usual method. While it is difficult to route, you're using heat normally wasted through the radiator.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:16 PM
amaralsoccer
New User
i been working on a filtration system that filters the WVO from 50 microns to 25, 10 then 5microns and also a fuel and water saporator, before storing it in my 350 gallon tank. i am hoping i can fill the tank by this trip and like i said start the morning with reg. diesel and as my tank empty's fill the truck up with the filter WVO. Never shutting my truck off during fills and right bfore i arrive fill the tank up with diesel to clean the set-up. does anyone see any problems?

Old 03-22-2010, 03:49 PM
tazo
Elder User
PlantDrive™ Vegetable Oil...
This is basically what you would need to run WVO/SVO. Biodiesel is whole different animal. It is veg oil with the glycerin removed to make the viscosity closer to that of dino diesel.
Biodiesel.org - FAQ
Just make sure you are well informed before making any choices.

Old 03-22-2010, 06:39 PM
Lubbockguy1979
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
you will need to heat the wvo that you have in the tank. if you dont you could experience problems