1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

It wasn't a good day

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:28 PM
952X4
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It wasn't a good day

Towing the trailer down I-10 in Arizona today, cruising about 60 when the CEL came on........Got off the highway took it to a shop who scanned it.... THey said the PCM was acting up, reccomended going 40 miles down the highway to a Stealership.......Took it into the Stealership, they confirmed the PCM is toast........Now get this... They say my DP-Tuner chip is what caused the problem, the technician came out of the shop and told me to never put one of those chips on a truck.....Now I'm stuck here until at least next Tuesday and they want over $900 to fix it......Woe is me.....

Old 03-19-2010, 10:39 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Go to car-parts.com, get a used one and tell those idots where they can hang their hats!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:43 AM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
ya screw them, go to that site and have one overnighted to you. Pull the PCM in there parking lot and put the chip back on the new one and roll coal in there faces as you leave the parking lot. I hate dealer tech's, they are some of the stupidest most arogant azzholes that I have ever talked to in the world. They may be moderately decent at working on that one brand but put another make vehicle in front of them and just watch the smoke start to blow out there azzes as they tell you that your quantom leap generator is out center and it is a specialty part that is hand made, pack of jack azzes IMO. There are some good ones out there but they are VERY rare.

Old 03-20-2010, 03:01 AM
walkjr
New User
I have a 1996 PSD and had the same problem the truck didn't know what gear to be in some times it would act like it was free wheeling . Call a friend and he ask me if I had added a chip on the truck and I did he said turn it off and the problem went away I've put about 4000 miles on the truck with no problem's to scared to turn it back on .my chip did help I could tell when it was off . The only problem I have is I keep reading the numbers on the boost gauge from other members around 17 to 30 I can only get 12 pounds , driving 62 miles per hour it about 3 going over a overpass it will hit 9 or 10 doesn't seem to have power over 65 MPH ?

Old 03-20-2010, 08:27 AM
helifixer
Lead Driver
Received 3,808 Likes on 1,165 Posts
where are you at?
I know a lot of people here and can get you pointed in the right direction.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What are the codes?
Seems like it's still driveablel?

Old 03-20-2010, 10:43 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 126 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by foxracing0934
ya screw them, go to that site and have one overnighted to you. Pull the PCM in there parking lot and put the chip back on the new one and roll coal in there faces as you leave the parking lot. I hate dealer tech's, they are some of the stupidest most arogant azzholes that I have ever talked to in the world. They may be moderately decent at working on that one brand but put another make vehicle in front of them and just watch the smoke start to blow out there azzes as they tell you that your quantom leap generator is out center and it is a specialty part that is hand made, pack of jack azzes IMO. There are some good ones out there but they are VERY rare.
You got me laughing Richard! I thought my reply was a little harsh but I loved your response. I was asked once by Bob Reilly at Dieselsite if I take my truck to the dealer for service and I said, "I would burn my truck to the ground before I took it to those idoits!!" I don't even think they are good at oil changes.

Old 03-20-2010, 11:04 AM
brooksbronco17
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by walkjr
I have a 1996 PSD and had the same problem the truck didn't know what gear to be in some times it would act like it was free wheeling . Call a friend and he ask me if I had added a chip on the truck and I did he said turn it off and the problem went away I've put about 4000 miles on the truck with no problem's to scared to turn it back on .my chip did help I could tell when it was off . The only problem I have is I keep reading the numbers on the boost gauge from other members around 17 to 30 I can only get 12 pounds , driving 62 miles per hour it about 3 going over a overpass it will hit 9 or 10 doesn't seem to have power over 65 MPH ?
Try pulling the chip and clean the contacts a little and then try the chip again. My chip has worked fine when i put it in at first but after a few months it will start shifting funny and not act right and that fixes it. Only had to do it twice so hopefully I fixed it last time. http://images.ford-trucks.com/forums...nfused0082.gif

Old 03-21-2010, 06:18 PM
foxracing0934
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
You got me laughing Richard! I thought my reply was a little harsh but I loved your response. I was asked once by Bob Reilly at Dieselsite if I take my truck to the dealer for service and I said, "I would burn my truck to the ground before I took it to those idoits!!" I don't even think they are good at oil changes.
Oh your response was nothin Glenn haha. I worked at an Infinity dealership for about 3 months before I couldn't take there dumb azzes any more. They had 11 tech's and 3 lube tech's, me being the youngest and newest. An employee brought in her Kia (something) with an issue with the EVAP system, so they diag'd the charcoal canister was the issue. They ordered a new canister and put the car on the lift, they had 3 tech's standing under the car for 45 minutes trying to figure out how to take the old one out. I came over and looked at the hose that they couldn't get off and sand well it looks like you just push in those tabs and turn it, but I'm the new guy so nobody wants to listen to me. After another 15 minutes of looking at it they decided to cut the hose off and just replace the entire hose, well after the canisterwas sitting on the bench I picked it up and used a pair of needle nose pliars with a 45* bend on the to, get this.... PUSH IN AND TWIST THE TABS! They are MORON's. The only time my truck went to the dealer was to get the CPS changed becuase I was new then and had no clue how easy it was.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:15 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Just curious, how exactly did they determine the PCM was toast? Did they pull a P0605 code? How exactly do you pull a trailer 40 miles down the freeway on a toasted PCM? Were there any other symptoms than the CEL?

For what you've probably spent on having the truck scanned twice, I'd buy a scangauge or AE and carry it with you so you can diagnose this stuff yourself. I'd hate to see you dump a bunch of coin on a part you don't need.

For the record, a loose chip, or installing / removing a chip with the key in can kill the PCM. Often times though, when the chip kills the PCM it's dead, won't start, and won't move without a downhill grade or tow truck.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:25 PM
952X4
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
Just curious, how exactly did they determine the PCM was toast? Did they pull a P0605 code? How exactly do you pull a trailer 40 miles down the freeway on a toasted PCM? Were there any other symptoms than the CEL?

For what you've probably spent on having the truck scanned twice, I'd buy a scangauge or AE and carry it with you so you can diagnose this stuff yourself. I'd hate to see you dump a bunch of coin on a part you don't need.

For the record, a loose chip, or installing / removing a chip with the key in can kill the PCM. Often times though, when the chip kills the PCM it's dead, won't start, and won't move without a downhill grade or tow truck.
When the CEL first came on, I pulled off the Interstate and found a small Auto repair shop, they scanned the truck and said it was showing a P0605 code. They reccomended that I try to get to the Ford Dealer about 40 miles down the road.. I found a RV park, dropped the trailer there and drove to the Dealer, truck ran just fine and the CEL had gone out...When I got to the Delaership I told them I had a CEL come on and a repair shop had scanned it... I didn't tell them what code.... They took the truck and scanned it and said it read p0605 and that the PCM was toast... They also said the chip was loose and could have caused the problem..A 'friend of mine' installed the chip for me.. Rightnow I wish I could toast him.. Not with a drink, either..

Old 03-22-2010, 06:06 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 952X4
When the CEL first came on, I pulled off the Interstate and found a small Auto repair shop, they scanned the truck and said it was showing a P0605 code. They reccomended that I try to get to the Ford Dealer about 40 miles down the road.. I found a RV park, dropped the trailer there and drove to the Dealer, truck ran just fine and the CEL had gone out...When I got to the Delaership I told them I had a CEL come on and a repair shop had scanned it... I didn't tell them what code.... They took the truck and scanned it and said it read p0605 and that the PCM was toast... They also said the chip was loose and could have caused the problem..A 'friend of mine' installed the chip for me.. Rightnow I wish I could toast him.. Not with a drink, either..
If the only reason they want to replace the PCM is a P0605 code, save your money. The manual says to replace the PCM when that code shows up, but a chip can sometimes throw that code when nothing is wrong.

Remove the keys from the ignition, make sure the chip is seated correctly, and put some tape across the back of the chip to hold it in place in the PCM. I bet a piece of tape is the only fix you need.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 AM
strokersace
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If the only reason they want to replace the PCM is a P0605 code, save your money. The manual says to replace the PCM when that code shows up, but a chip can sometimes throw that code when nothing is wrong.

Remove the keys from the ignition, make sure the chip is seated correctly, and put some tape across the back of the chip to hold it in place in the PCM. I bet a piece of tape is the only fix you need.
This is the BEST advise you could get!! Chris is right on the money.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
If i'm wright a PCM new is about 4 to 5 so thats 3 to 4 in labor and it take an hour at the most to change i'd tell them to go **** off and try to see if the chip being lose is your problem and if not i'd run it till it quit

Old 03-22-2010, 04:55 PM
cleatus12r
Butt-Head
Received 1,997 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Originally Posted by strokersace
This is the BEST advise you could get!! Chris is right on the money.
Absolutely. Save your money and drive your truck.

The P0605 denotes an internal PCM ROM failure. Guess what the chip does....replaces ROM. So that code is going to show up at various times whenever the truck is in operation due to the PCM internal memory being bypassed to the chip.

If the P0605 is the only code in there, keep on truckin' and tell those greedy guys to keep their pants on.

Quick Reply: It wasn't a good day