1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shackle lift

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 AM
GFfirema83
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shackle lift

Someone told me an easy way to lift my truck was to put a block between leaf springs and axle, then just buy longer u-bolts. Will that work? I have a 01 f250 SD supercab shortbed. XLT. Im running stock solid dayna 50 axles front and rear.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:14 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
not for the front its not...

your truck has a Sterling 10.5 in the rear btw... not a Dana.

cheapest lift (thats safe) is a simple add-a-leaf kit.. which will give you anywere from 1.5 to 2.5"s of lift depending on which kit you buy..

but it does increase the spring rate making the truck ride harsher.. esp when unloaded...

but it is certainly the cheapest way to get lift other then a goofy body lift which you really dont wanna do.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:37 AM
redford
Received 1,597 Likes on 933 Posts
Also, you have a DANA 60 in front, not a 50.

Lift blocks are OK for the rear axle, to a certain point. Keep in mind that the larger the block, the more the axle has leverage to deflect the springs in a twisting motion....in other words axle wrap. I would not recommend anything taller than an F-350 rear block without some suspension modification.

In the front of trucks equipped with leaf springs, lifting blocks are unsafe. You're giving the axle more leverage to move side to side, which is a very bad thing for a steering axle. You quickly wear out the suspension component that try to keep the axle under the truck and point the tires in the desired direction of travel (also known as steering).

The bottom line is, if you want to lift your truck then do it right. The cheapest way is far from the best way and could end up killing someone. Ask the guys here with trucks like yours what they used and how it works. Find a reputable company that makes well engineered lift kits and purchase one. Have it installed at a suspension shop that can work on trucks.

Old 03-20-2010, 04:49 AM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GFfirema83
Someone told me an easy way to lift my truck was to put a block between leaf springs and axle, then just buy longer u-bolts. Will that work? I have a 01 f250 SD supercab shortbed. XLT. Im running stock solid dayna 50 axles front and rear.
you already are troubled by your gas mileage as posted previously...lifting your rig wont help the mileage any!!!

Old 03-21-2010, 12:51 PM
GFfirema83
New User
i don't think im going to lift it. can't afford more poor gas and a harder ride....it already rides like a tank