Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my F-150 project w/ pics.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 04:57 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LawF250
What tranny is in there? m50d or a zf s542? and how are either of those going to handle that 870 ft lb of torque you're pumping out?

Nice Project looks awesome!

-92 f250
I believe his 150 has the ZF but that 870 torque he's talking about is his F250 diesel. Actually I think both trucks have that...

Welcome to FTE by the way!!

Old 04-02-2010, 10:28 AM
nstueve
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I have to agree with strokin'_tatsch about the 300's being a little anemic on long steep hills. I have had a few 300's now and even my F-250 without load will need 4th by the time I get 3/4 up long hills (3.55 gears). I realize they will pull up fine in 4th, but mine won't keep 60mph in 5th gear... and welcome Law250 to FTE!

strokin'_tatsch, good looking truck so far! I can feel your pain on going over budget for the truck rebuild... I have tracked all my costs from the reciepts... Put them into a excel sheet so I know pretty much down to the dollar what I have in the truck. Right now I have just under $2450 in my truck refurb. thus far. I haven't even touched the paint, brakes, exhaust, or tranny yet! But $2450 also includes rebuilt engine, engine stand, cherry picker, other small tools, and rust free bed from Arkansas. Thinking about replacing the rusted radiator support to. Anyway great looking truck and keep us posted on progress. If you took enough pictures of your MAF conversions I know there are tons of guys waiting on a complete walk through write up with pics on how to do it...

Old 04-02-2010, 01:27 PM
LawF250
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Haha, ok, that makes a little more sense, was a little confused about how someone could get 870 torque out of a 302. still a great looking truck though.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 PM
6CylBill
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 300 is a good six popper but for making power with less money, 302.

Great looking project!

Old 04-03-2010, 06:26 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by LawF250
What tranny is in there? m50d or a zf s542? and how are either of those going to handle that 870 ft lb of torque you're pumping out?

Nice Project looks awesome!

-92 f250
my F-150 actually has the M5OD. i know they are kinda junky, but i didn't wanna find a ZF to swap in yet. i found that the bigger weak link in the M5OD is the shift forks/sycro setup so when i did the tranny i had some parts cryo'd...

Originally Posted by nstueve
I have to agree with strokin'_tatsch about the 300's being a little anemic on long steep hills. I have had a few 300's now and even my F-250 without load will need 4th by the time I get 3/4 up long hills (3.55 gears). I realize they will pull up fine in 4th, but mine won't keep 60mph in 5th gear... and welcome Law250 to FTE!

strokin'_tatsch, good looking truck so far! I can feel your pain on going over budget for the truck rebuild... I have tracked all my costs from the reciepts... Put them into a excel sheet so I know pretty much down to the dollar what I have in the truck. Right now I have just under $2450 in my truck refurb. thus far. I haven't even touched the paint, brakes, exhaust, or tranny yet! But $2450 also includes rebuilt engine, engine stand, cherry picker, other small tools, and rust free bed from Arkansas. Thinking about replacing the rusted radiator support to. Anyway great looking truck and keep us posted on progress. If you took enough pictures of your MAF conversions I know there are tons of guys waiting on a complete walk through write up with pics on how to do it...
i refuse to look back at my receipts on mine. i know an around about price that i have in this truck, but i don't wanna know exact numbers b/c it won't matter to me. i'm doing this as a fun project and to be a nice reliable daily driver with a decent bit of extra power. down the road i may add on a supercharger for fun, but thats way down the road. i know for a fact that i already have over $5k in this truck and haven't touched paint, interior, clutch, u joints, E locker for rear, lift, or A/C and other misc accessories on engine. long way to go, but it will be there soon enough. i will try to get enough pics to do a full write up. i just gotta get some more info on a couple wires before i can finish up.

Originally Posted by 6CylBill
The 300 is a good six popper but for making power with less money, 302.

Great looking project!
Thanks Bill!!!! glad y'all like it so far.

Old 04-03-2010, 07:23 AM
KevinGnWV
The village idiot.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just found this thread, well, took the time to read it. Anyway, I'll be following along now. Interesting project and looking great so far! Keep up the pics too.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:08 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Ok guys, sorry i haven't updated this. I have been busy helping a buddy of mine finish his sled pulling truck so i have stopped on the F-150 for now. i have gotten the main engine harness modded and finished up and got the harness in the truck. i'm having problems with the alternator harness though. I think there is supposed to be a fusable link where the alt harness attaches to the starter solenoid, but my harness just has 2 wires spliced to the alt harness and attached to the solenoid, no fusable links. if there are supposed to be links there i want them back in there. I'm planning to swap to a 3G alternator though so i'm going to have to mod my alternator harness anyways.

Here are some pics from removing the old injector wires from the main engine harness.

here you can see i uncovered the portion of the harness that was under the plastic cover that bolted to the valve covers. i just cut the wires out of this portion and took the wires out of the EEC connector so the remaining wires floating around in the harness for the injectors are doing nothing except sit there. i didn't wanna unwrap everything to get every bit of wire out i could b/c it's going to be covered up anyways.

If you look close in the middle of the pic you will see the black heat shrink on the wires. the red injector wires go through this heat shrink, but there are also wires for other plugs going through this same heat shrink. so i just cut the injector wires at the heat shrink rather than pulling that apart.

starting the other side now. i just unwrapped the harness right where you see the plastic cover. i cut the injector wires as far up as i could from what i uncovered, but that was it. left the rest of the wire floating in the harness to never be seen.

This is what it looks like after all the injector wires were cut out. i also had to move the TPS wire around the back side of the harness so it will end up on the backside of the upper intake on the driver side b/c i'm running the typhoon reversed so the throttle body is on the driver side.

bunch of harness wrap piled up and old injector wires. i will make a point to take pics of what i have now for y'all tomorrow or saturday morning.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:41 PM
monstr1504x4
Freshman User
damn nice!

Old 04-17-2010, 02:41 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
thank you. i'm glad you like it. it's getting closer, but i keep having problems that i have to address at almost every stage of this build. kinda like i start putting in the wiring harness and right at the end of that i find the alternator harness isn't right and there was a plug that didn't match up over by the heater core and stuff. got that plug fixed up now, but still sucking on the alternator harness. i'm pretty dang sure it needs a fusable link setup, but gotta keep researching til i find exactly what i need to know about it and switching to a 3G alternator. Overall it's coming together pretty good. probably going to do a saginaw swap on it as well, but haven't made up my mind yet.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:07 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
hey guys. got a little more progress pics for y'all. I had to modify my fuel rails to fit b/c they hit the distributor. i reversed the rails from the way they would mount on a mustang so the inlet and return would be on the rear driver side for the truck lines and so i could reverse the typhoon upper to have the TB facing the driver side. basically all i had to do was get a 45* fitting for the Xover line, longer length of stainless braided line, and a straight fitting. the 90* fitting you will see on the line was supplied with the rail kit. the 45* fitting had to be ground down quite a bit to clear the distributor, but thats easy easy compared to rerouting fuel lines and building a long azz intake... so here are a couple pics.

Old 05-08-2010, 05:45 AM
Towmanjbo
Cargo Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I installed the 3G alt in my '92 I got the alt and wiring kit from FFI. here's the link if you haven't seen it yet: Ford Fuel Injection 3G Install Tech

Old 05-08-2010, 06:04 AM
skyfox10
Posting Guru
looks like a nice build. I love seeing new parts or freshly painted engine blocks in a vehicle. This might be a dumb question, but where did you get those blue fuel rails? They are really cool.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:54 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Towmanjbo
When I installed the 3G alt in my '92 I got the alt and wiring kit from FFI. here's the link if you haven't seen it yet: Ford Fuel Injection 3G Install Tech
Cool. i planned to get mine from them as well. quick question since i don't have my battery tray or anything in the truck yet. How long is your battery charge wire?? i want to order mine, but i don't know how long to get the charge cable.

Originally Posted by skyfox10
looks like a nice build. I love seeing new parts or freshly painted engine blocks in a vehicle. This might be a dumb question, but where did you get those blue fuel rails? They are really cool.
i like seeing new parts go on as well. especially when they finally work!!! haha. These rails are the Professional Products complete kit w/ adjustable fuel pressure regulator. got them from Summit. They are nice looking, but a PITA to install on a truck. they are made for a mustang so they are built to go on backwards from how i have them. I forgot to add that i had to drill and tap new holes in the rails so they would bolt onto the lower intake correctly since they are backwards from normal now. i didn't have to drill new holes for the bracket under the regulator though, the existing ones worked. if i was to do this again i would have gotten the remote mount regulator though, not the rail mount..

Old 05-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
Travis, looking Awesome

Old 05-08-2010, 12:18 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Jason Lewis
Travis, looking Awesome
Thanks Jason. If your bored I get off work at 2:30 and going to go home and see what i can get accomplished on it. wish i had a clutch and stuff for it, but i don't.. maybe Austin Performance has one there...

Quick Reply: my F-150 project w/ pics.