1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

'01 Power steering pulley has some play.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 PM
Drenalin
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'01 Power steering pulley has some play.....

My truck is a 2001 Ford F350 CC 4x4 7.3l........228K miles........

While replacing the AC compressor, tensioner and the idler pulley today, I noticed the power steering pulley has some light play in it. Before I dive into another project, I wanted to know what I am in for and what I need to look at. Also wanting to find out my options.

As a whole, the pump seems to be OK...it has a little whine but its been that way since day 1....9 years ago. I did have to add about 1.5 ounces of fluid the other day to make it smoother. The only other time was about three years ago and it was a very small amount to do the same. There is a noticeable amount of fluid/sludge on outside of pump but the lid seems to fit loose and looks like some leakage may be coming from it.

I am assuming since the pulley is pressed on the shaft that I may actually have a shaft seal issue versus an actual pulley issue to cause the play.... correct? Is that fixable or should I just look at getting a new pump?....Also...are there any videos or pics with step by steps available for the repair?

I've been searching and reading and still am but wanted to see if I could get some options on my specific issues. Thanks fellas.......

Old 03-12-2010, 11:53 PM
phatf250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i just replaced my steering pump and steering box yesterday. i did notice a little in and out movement on the shaft. its not that bad, both took me about 30 minutes to do. went to autozone and rented a pulley remover and then just tapped it back on. 3 bolts on the altinater and 4 on the mounting plate, plus 3 that hold the pump on. hope this helps. if you need any more help just let me know.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:23 AM
Drenalin
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by phatf250
i just replaced my steering pump and steering box yesterday. i did notice a little in and out movement on the shaft. its not that bad, both took me about 30 minutes to do. went to autozone and rented a pulley remover and then just tapped it back on. 3 bolts on the altinater and 4 on the mounting plate, plus 3 that hold the pump on. hope this helps. if you need any more help just let me know.

Thanks Phat.....seems easy enough. Hopefully the bolts are fairly easy to access...big hands in small places don't go together well...

I am assuming you replaced the whole pump due to the play or did you have a leak?

Old 03-13-2010, 12:29 AM
phatf250
Junior User
there is a lot of room. i have big hands as well. i replaced the pump due to over 150000 miles and whinning.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:54 PM
worm5932
Senior User
anyone know if a smaller pulley will help with low speed turning?