Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Mods and Towing

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:47 AM
FirstTimeDiesel
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mods and Towing

Thanks for all your advice and help with my past questions, and for being patient with a newbie. I have an '03 7.3L with 90,000 miles, and have ordered the 6637 and replaced the stock muffler with a straight through glaspac. Will take my first trip with my 10,000 lb RV in 2 weeks and will monitor performance and decide afterwards if I want to add gauges, 4 inch exhaust and a chip. My question is this. Is the stock tranny temp gauge on the dash sufficient for a tranny gauge since it doesn't have actual temperature readings, only a range from hot to cold? And what about towing in overdrive? Should I turn it off, or leave it engaged?

Thanks

Old 03-12-2010, 06:56 AM
Robert6401
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stock tranny gauge is like an idiot light, once it starts showing overheating the damage is already done. Mine never moved when towing or not, but when you get an actual tranny gauge you will see it change throughout the entire trip depending on how hard the tranny is having to work.

As far as overdrive, it is fine to use it to tow as long as the tranny isn't constantly downshifting to maintain speed. I find that on most hills, if I am near 1800-2000rpm, I can keep it in OD all the way up. Once you get into the mountains, though, you'll probably need to turn OD off.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:58 AM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
none of the stock gauges are right...they only read good when the PCM see the minimum or max of what it needs..oil will read good as long as you have 6psi..we know 6 psi is not really good oil psi..trans temp reads normal only if warm to hot..after its too hot and the trans blows will the gauge read hot..in other words..the stock gauges are all idiot light with numbers..

I see from the two threads you are having trouble with this site too...took the site 3 minutes for this post to post...I don't understand it... very very frustrating waiting for the pages to open every single time.....