Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Front End Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:12 PM
boatbanditf250
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front End Noise

I have a question if someone can help me please. I hit a nice deep pothole today on my left side, both tires doing around 20-30mph so it was pretty bad. everything was fine until i got on the interstate and onto a regular "bumpy" road and every time I hit a bump now, it sounds like a growling or meshing noise coming from my front end. I was trying to figure what is wrong, wheel bearings or something, I put the truck in four wheel drive and drove a couple hundred feet, and back into two wheel drive, it seemed to have stopped for a couple of miles until I hit another nice bump then its back to it again. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 PM
SmOkIn(EM)OUT
New User
I just had the SAME exact problem. Looks like yah need a wheel hub. Every time you hit a bump....it rumbles....then goes away. Whichever side you hit.....most likely that wheel hub is shot. Lift it up in the air and wiggle the tire (like checking tie rod wear) side to side and im sure youll get some play from the hub bearing.

~Tim

Old 03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
boatbanditf250
New User
Growling F250

Sweet. It was the drivers side front and rear that went into the hole. 99 f250 warn manual lockouts with electric switch in the cab. Its like a zinging/grinding/growly sound. Ill put it in the air tomorrow and see what the deal is. But any ideals on what I should be looking for would be helpful. I hear something about a nut on the inboard shaft or something that holds the wheel bearing in place can come loose, where is this? I appreciate it.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:32 PM
boatbanditf250
New User
Wheel Hub/or Parts

Had the truck in the air, there was no play moving the wheel. However, there is play when you spin the wheel "forward" then spinning it backwards takes a little bit for it to catch. The CV joint looks new there is no play, and the only thing I can tell is wrong maybe, is that the spring inside the hub is weak not keeping the locker pushed out far enough, and the lockout hub "warn" has play moving in and out of the hub insert (if im making sense?) The retaining ring is broken a bit but not much to worry any about i dont think if this is going to hurt anything or not, its staying in place, but the peice it is holding in has play in and out but stops at the retaining ring like it should, there is another gear peice inside of that "a bit smaller" which is the locking hub gear itself "i think" is engaging itself because the spring is too weak to hold it out? ANYWAY!!! Where do I get one of these springs? Auto Zone dont have one, And im not sure they come in the new wheel hub assembly which im more than likely going to buy. Anyone with advice? Oh and my ABS light has been on since I got the truck, which I hear is a sign of wheel hub damage? Someone help me out please....

Old 03-12-2010, 08:31 PM
cps
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you go to "Guzzles" site you will find a hub re and re section and this should help you.Roy

Old 03-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Read this. It sounds like you lost a wheel hub. Welcome to guzzle's 4x4 Needle Bearing Maintenance Web Page

Old 03-18-2010, 02:22 PM
99 big red
New User
same issue with front end noise

I had the same issue so I replaced everything on the driver's side(hub bearing, ball joints, cv). I also put new pads on the front wheels. I noticed when working on it that the passenger lockout wasn't engaging. I've got warn lockouts too. When I removed the lockout I saw that the internal snap(lock) ring had came out of the groove and it allowed the inner shaft and gear to slide out too far to engage. So when the lockout was set to lock the assembly was sliding back instead of meshing together. After putting it all back together. I didn't have the noise, I assumed it had been a bad bearing. Driving today I heard the noise again. I jacked the passenger side wheel up and set the hub to lock and its not engaging. So it's done it again. Question is how to I prevent this. I may need to replace that snap ring or something. So you may want to try jacking the front end off the ground and engage your lockout and see if it actually engages.