1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

solid flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 12:45 PM
jakemb
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
solid flywheel

This question is for all the guys who have installed a solid flywheel convesion.I know I'll get bashed for what I did.I'm trying to diagnos a few issues with my truck and spend a bunch of cash.I need a new flywheel so because of the shaking at idle it was hard to do a cylinder distribution test.I marked the flywheel at 4 points with a degree wheel and welded it while in the truck.Was able to pinpoint the bad cylinder now.Here's the question,clutch works perfect,no shake.But if it idles for awhile I get a loud noise,rattle that can be felt in the truck,goes away depressing the clutch.Will also do this at 1300-1500 while driving sometimes.Almost a growl type noise.Not unbalanced flywheel because it not always the same rpm,I will buy a clutch but want to get a total cost of all the repairs before I start a money pit.Any of you had a noise like this? I'm thinking this noise was hidden with the two piece flywheel and installing a solid one may not fix the noise.
Thanks

Old 03-11-2010, 04:33 PM
matts156
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds a bit like a bad throwout bearing. I'd check that before investing big bucks in a clutch assembly.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:42 PM
jakemb
Senior User
That was my thought also but I can hold in the clutch and no noise at all,only happens when I have the clutch released.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:53 PM
matts156
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That's right. I was thinking backwards. I od taht a tol.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Jacksfirstdiesel
Senior User
lol ttaM i'm probly the only one to getit. Getit? Jake I'm thinking pilot bearing. The pilot neadles were on their way out with the DMF springs. I did a Southbend SMF clutch which comes with a kevlar pilot bushing. my needle bearings in the stock pilot bearing were trashed alomg with the bearing cage and DMF springs. Total mess. Growled and shook like crazy. The growling went away when i pushed in the clutch pedal. I think it was actually less $ than a stock clutch

Old 03-11-2010, 10:18 PM
jakemb
Senior User
I don't have a problem doing the clutch but if don't want it to turn into a money pit.Doing injectors shortly and suppose will do the clutch,If I didn't have this noise I'd consider leaving it welded like this for awhile as my clutch has never worked this good.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:30 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
The SMF Conversion is loud with out the springs from the DMF to take up the resonance of the engine.

The DMF will do all sorts of silly things. But you cannot just replace the DMF, you have to replace the clutch and pressure plate as well.

Trending Topics

Old 03-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Neal 97 250
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jakemb
This question is for all the guys who have installed a solid flywheel convesion.I know I'll get bashed for what I did.I'm trying to diagnos a few issues with my truck and spend a bunch of cash.I need a new flywheel so because of the shaking at idle it was hard to do a cylinder distribution test.I marked the flywheel at 4 points with a degree wheel and welded it while in the truck.Was able to pinpoint the bad cylinder now.Here's the question,clutch works perfect,no shake.But if it idles for awhile I get a loud noise,rattle that can be felt in the truck,goes away depressing the clutch.Will also do this at 1300-1500 while driving sometimes.Almost a growl type noise.Not unbalanced flywheel because it not always the same rpm,I will buy a clutch but want to get a total cost of all the repairs before I start a money pit.Any of you had a noise like this? I'm thinking this noise was hidden with the two piece flywheel and installing a solid one may not fix the noise.
Thanks
You are 100% exactly correct in your thinking. The solid flywheel absorbed the sounds coming from the engine. A SMF will "growl" like you said. Mine will do it sometimes then jusy quit. You can quiten it down a bit by adding some extra fluid to the tranny. It calls for ~ 3.4 qts. I put 5 quarts in mine. You have to do this by filling it thru the shifter hole to get it that full. Some trucks are louder than others

Old 03-12-2010, 08:34 PM
jakemb
Senior User
Update,used my truck a lot and it works fine with the welded flyheel exept for the noise.So what am I going to damage running this welded flywheel for awhile.I always push in the clutch when turning it off.How much differant are the clutchs with the aftermarket solid flywheel compared to the stock which I have.Thinking the bad injector my be contributing to my noise possibly.Going to do injectors before changing out the flywheel.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:57 AM
Jimmy Mac
Junior User
solid flywheel

I changed over to a southbend clutch and flywheel $650 (solid )
I get the growl up till 1200 rpm
Had it out twice and 2 tranny shops garantee it's the result of the solid flywheel
I have the pressed in kevlar bushing and it still makes noise
trucs me it's the solid flywheel that causes this

Old 03-13-2010, 10:30 AM
jakemb
Senior User
Thanks for the reply's,the only thing that worries me is while running up in rpm between 1200-1500 now I get this noise and it can be felt in the truck almost like a vibration.I'm being told I will do damage to the trans with this flywheel being welded.How much differant is the clutch plate for the solid versus the on for the dual mass.If there will still be this noise with the solid flywheel I will leave it for now untill the rest of the truck issus are resolved.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:37 AM
Jimmy Mac
Junior User
I don't get a vibration in the truck just the noise
I used to get a vibration but it was my down pipe touch the firewall

Old 03-13-2010, 08:37 PM
jakemb
Senior User
While using the truck today I noticed the noise at idle goes away completely if I move the shifter into any gear sitting still at idle with out pushing in th clutch.i'm to putting alot of pressure on the shifter just a little load on the sychronizer.Possibly changing or running a bit more oil my help?? nobody has mentioned any damage that may occure due to running this welded flywheel just been mentioned it is not recomended.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:12 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
With you welding the flywheel, you probably put it out of balance.

What the sound is from the flywheel is the resonance of the motor off the trans.
So thats why when you push in the clutch, the sound goes away.

Depending on your trans conditions, the gears inside the trans can rattle around a bit more, which is a good reason to put in more fluid.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Oh, I doubt welding your flywheel will make a bit of difference on the truck.
But, it will be out of balance, thats the biggest deal. Which could create more vibrations or weird sounds. There isn't really anyplace for it to go in there, so if its not horribly out of balance, it probably wont hurt anything.

Quick Reply: solid flywheel