1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Steering Column Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 12:51 PM
cts1954
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Column Bearing

I am preparing my steering column for the day that my cab is back on its frame. There is a rubber bearing in the upper end, also I see there is a bearing and sleave listed to replace this bearing. I am hoping I can source a bearing at my local bearing supplier, does anyone know what the number of this bearing is. The ideal size would be an ID of .750 and and OD of 1.5, I don' see anything like lis listed and I suspect that the sleave is to adapt the column to a smaller size. I am sure someone has replaced this bearing.

Thanks

Old 03-09-2010, 05:55 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
The steering column is very slow moving compared to most bearing mounted shafts, and has no appreciable side load. The bearing is there more to hold the shaft centered in the housing than anything else, so you don't need anything fancy or high precision, even a turned delrin or nylon block would do. (That's what the aftermarket manufacturers like Flaming River and Ididit use in their columns)