Notices
1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

NEW

Old 03-07-2010, 01:32 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Hi and welcome to FTE.

I guess it depends on what you intend to do with the truck.

Remember the flathead only produces 95 net HP on a good day, and the truck was geared accordingly. They were intended to carry cargo and were difficult to get over 45-50 MPH with the stock flathead and gearing offered.

However, the flathead engine is pretty much bullet proof. We have stories here daily about guys who have inherited or bought old trucks that have not run in 10-15 years, that after a few clean-ups (new oil, plugs, gas, etc) thye were able to start the old engine right up and it ran great.

What I would do if I were you is decide if the truck is going to be a daily driver, or a "Sunday drive to Brunch" truck, then get it running and drive it on the flathead for awhile.

Trust me, if you've never driven one of these trucks, you have an experience coming - they are TRUCKS, not a BMW when it comes to driving.

After you have driven it awhile, then I'd decide if you want like it as is, or want/need more! And don't let anyone fool you into believing that when all is said and done, a re-engine/tranny/rear end will cost you any less than $3K done correctly.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:34 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Post Fiend
ALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputationALBUQ F-1 has a superb reputation
Yeah, flatties are junk, box yours up and send it to me. Do something different, put an SBC in it (yawn)

Seems kind of premature to be planning mods before you've even driven it.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.Julies Cool F1 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1 View Post
.... put an SBC in it (yawn)
Do we need to wash that mouth out with soap young man?

Old 03-07-2010, 01:56 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by splay View Post
hello all i have a truck i got when my father passed away but i dont know much about it yet as it is still back home and i have to go get it. but i do believe it has a flat head motor in it and im trying to decide if i should pull out the flathead and put in a newer motor or rebuild the flathead and advise would be awsome.
Hi, SPlay and welcome to the site. You got alot of advice here, you will have to decide this for yourself.

BUT: I don;t think you told us what year truck you have and what size?? I for one am curious....

Old 03-07-2010, 02:54 PM
splay
Freshman User
splay is starting off with a positive reputation.
i actually dont have it here yet and have none of the paperwork just know its a 50's ford. i will not be putting a bow tie anything into it thats just not right. what i know about it is my grandfather went and ordered it from the ford dealership in salem oregon in 195? and went to portland to get it when it came off the ship. hes had it ever since then. i know it hasnt ran in 30+ yeas so im not sure on all that. i do want to be able to use it for a tow rig and a show rig.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Well if it has a flathead in it (and is still stock) then the latest it could be is a 53 (with a V8) or a 51 (With an IL6)

Old 03-07-2010, 03:22 PM
splay
Freshman User
yeah i believe its an early 50's im honestly not even sure it has a flathead in it but i believe it does. i have to figure out a way to come up with enough money to go get it by april or im going to lose it.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:25 PM
abe
Post Fiend
abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.abe has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1 View Post
Well if it has a flathead in it (and is still stock) then the latest it could be is a 53 (with a V8) or a 51 (With an IL6)
No kidding! Ha-ha! It has to be a 50, 51, 52, or 53. Also just wanted to know if it is a F-1 or F-100 or F2 or F-250, or up to F-600... or is it bigger?

Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 PM
splay
Freshman User
i think its an f100 but not sure ill know more when i go get it. its not going to be cheap to go get it but i feel its well worth it

Old 03-07-2010, 04:42 PM
grumpy46
Elder User
grumpy46 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.grumpy46 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
where is the truck now? maybe someone gould pick it up and hold it for you

Old 03-07-2010, 05:11 PM
splay
Freshman User
its in salem oregon and im here in panama city florida.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:34 PM
mt54
Posting Guru
mt54 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Welcome aboard...
as you can see plenty of know how here, and always willing to help

Old 03-07-2010, 07:41 PM
splay
Freshman User
ty all for being supportive and offering help. i cant wait to get it here and start working on it.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:01 PM
CharlieLed
Post Fiend
CharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant futureCharlieLed has a brilliant future
That truck has soul...when you get it you'll find that it will talk to you and let you know what direction to go. You got a lot of family history in that old truck, treat her kindly.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:01 PM
grumpy46
Elder User
grumpy46 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.grumpy46 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
a little far for me. if you get in a bind get in touch with the oregon chapter leader.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.