83 NOS Doors, Can I use my mirrors? (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 03:08 PM
kickingber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
83 NOS Doors, Can I use my mirrors? (Help)

Hello, First let me say, I know very little about body work. I bought a set of NOS doors for a 80-86 Ford truck. I didn't notice that the holes for the mirrors were for the little "sporty type" And I have the "normal type" (not the west coast type). There are only 2 mounting holes at the top of the door. They are 3 3/4 inches apart. My mirrors I would like to use has 2 mounting points: Top are 2 3/4 inches apart, bottom mounting bracket is 2 inches apart. Will I be able to use my mirrors on the new doors? Is this a common problem which body shops often come across? (When It comes time, the truck will be going to the shop to have all body work done.) I just would like to know If I messed up by buying the doors, or if this is a easy fix problem. Any and all info and opinions would be grately apperacited. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:12 PM
Beechkid
Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
I believe you are referring to the Western Swing mount mirrors......

Basically, yes you can use your mirrors but you will have to drill additional mounting holes. Depending if the existing holes are for oem mirrors, it is liekly you will have to fill those which can be accomplished by a couple of ways...

1. Weld/braze the holes closed
2. Apply a fiberglass patch to the back side of the panel and fill the hole with a fiberglass plastic filler.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:07 PM
kickingber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beechkid
I believe you are referring to the Western Swing mount mirrors......

Basically, yes you can use your mirrors but you will have to drill additional mounting holes. Depending if the existing holes are for oem mirrors, it is liekly you will have to fill those which can be accomplished by a couple of ways...

1. Weld/braze the holes closed
2. Apply a fiberglass patch to the back side of the panel and fill the hole with a fiberglass plastic filler.

Thanks for the help