6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

EGR Delete vrs Newer EGR Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 PM
Mrfun2fly
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR Delete vrs Newer EGR Cooler?

I'm getting ready to order my EGR delete kit for my 04 6.0. But I was wanting to know what the scoop was with this "newer" EGR Cooler?
Ford_Power_Stroke_EGR

Does this "newer" EGR cooler fix all the problems so one doesn't have to do an EGR delete?

Thanks,

Old 02-18-2010, 09:13 PM
jdc228
Junior User
The bulletproof EGR Cooler is great if you're in a state that has diesel emissions testing. Otherwise, get rid of it asap with a good EGR Delete Kit (River City Diesel) and get a good exhaust and don't look back...

Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 PM
Mrfun2fly
Senior User
I took the plunge

Well, I dove in and just ordered the EGR delete kit.... yikes... I do seem to have a good exhaust pipe (4"). I also have a cooler filter kit to install but will do that after I install the EGR delete kit.

I have an 04, and hoping I dont get any CEL light or pop any codes when I do the EGR delete.

Thanks to everybody for guiding me in the right direction w/my new truck.

Cheers,

Old 02-19-2010, 11:16 AM
TRS
Freshman User
Keep us posted on how the installation process goes. I have an 04 with 73000 miles that will loose warranty in June of this year. I'm not sure if I want to do the EGR update or the delete. Curious to hear your results.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 PM
Mrfun2fly
Senior User
Warrenty

Originally Posted by TRS
Keep us posted on how the installation process goes. I have an 04 with 73000 miles that will loose warranty in June of this year. I'm not sure if I want to do the EGR update or the delete. Curious to hear your results.
Yeah I was going back in forth on the EGR delete thing too; but after reading all the bad stuff that can happen w/keeping the EGR cooler in place I decided to take the plunge.

Tell me about your warrenty, what's the details of that?

Thanks,

Old 02-19-2010, 01:46 PM
03-6L-X
Elder User
If you delete the EGR, can you run it safely without installing some type of tuner to take the EGR out of the equation?

Old 02-19-2010, 02:02 PM
jdc228
Junior User
I have an early '03 and I bought and installed the River City Diesel complete EGR delete with a complete (turbo back) 4" Magnaflow exhaust without cat and life is REAL GOOD! That EGR cooler is an EPA piece of junk that is just waiting to give you trouble. However, if you're in a state that has emissions tesing for diesels I would go with the bulletproof EGR cooler since it is a much more beefed up cooler system. Otherwise, scrap it and enjoy the benefits (i.e. better MPG, better breathing and cooler EGTs). Also, you shouldn't get any CEL on models up to '05. The EGR plug just dangles there like it ain't gotta home now! That's cool, cuz I don't like housing parasites! Also, you should install a coolant bypass filter if you haven't done so...

FYI- the '03 sounds like a jet now...not annoying, but whistles proudly!

No, IIRC you don't need a tuner to delete the EGR unless you have an '05 and up...and you'll want to have a tuner to inform the computer that it's gone. The '03 & '04s seem to be just fine...the '05 & '06s will throw a CEL most of the time and '07 and newer need a tuner to address the missing EGR.

Lastly, I don't plan on boosting my truck so my system is fairly stock, but if you boost yours, beware not to go too far as you'll be driving a timebomb if you overdo it. Then, you'll be in for a cab-off head stud replacement...ouch! However, once you have the EGR deleted and the ARP headstuds installed, you're kinda ready to unleash hell with horsepower. I'm just trying to go as long as possible on my factory headgaskets and head bolts.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Mrfun2fly
Senior User
I dont know

Most people say if you have an 03 or an 04 no codes or CEL will come on. However if they do, I'm told you can reconnect the EGR valve and this "may" trick the trucks computer in thinking everything is back installed. If this doesn't work then from my understanding you will have to get a tuner.

But, don't go by what I say, I'm still new at the 6.0 and all this tech stuff.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:12 PM
jdc228
Junior User
A motor with this EPA stuff (i.e. EGR Cooler) is like a marathon runner smoking cigarettes while he competes!

Old 02-19-2010, 04:07 PM
TRS
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Mrfun2fly
Yeah I was going back in forth on the EGR delete thing too; but after reading all the bad stuff that can happen w/keeping the EGR cooler in place I decided to take the plunge.

Tell me about your warrenty, what's the details of that?

Thanks,
The truck still has the factory 5year/100,000 mile warranty. It wasn't purchased until June of 2005 therefore that's when the factory warranty started. I just bought the truck about a month ago and while in the dealership getting an oasis report, the service tech told me to not do anything to the truck until after June.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:05 PM
jdc228
Junior User
yer service tech gave you some good advice...but when it is out of warranty do yourself a favor and trash the EGR cooler, put on an exhaust and add a bypass coolant filter and that should keep you outta the dealership, for the most part, for repairs in the future.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 PM
TRS
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jdc228
yer service tech gave you some good advice...but when it is out of warranty do yourself a favor and trash the EGR cooler, put on an exhaust and add a bypass coolant filter and that should keep you outta the dealership, for the most part, for repairs in the future.
Help me out on the after warranty EGR delete. Will I need to do anything with the oil system along with the EGR delete? I'm still trying to absorb all the info that I have been reading so I apoligize for the lack of knowledge with the delete process. I realize the coolant filter is a must but not sure about the oil side of it.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:08 AM
03-6L-X
Elder User
Originally Posted by TRS
Help me out on the after warranty EGR delete. Will I need to do anything with the oil system along with the EGR delete? I'm still trying to absorb all the info that I have been reading so I apoligize for the lack of knowledge with the delete process. I realize the coolant filter is a must but not sure about the oil side of it.
Talk to people like 69cj, chezit and bismic and a few others that have guided many and are trusted. Then do what you want to your "ride".

Old 02-20-2010, 09:12 AM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
About the question on oil cooler work, I can speak from the voice of experience on this one. If you are taking the time to delete the EGR on a driven vehicle, the only way to know if you will have an oil cooler failure soon is to monitor oil temp/coolant temp differential. Anything more than 15 degrees indicates a diminished flow through the oil cooler and impending failure. I deleted my EGR and did not understand this. 18000 miles later the oil cooler let go. I have installed a new 06 engine in my truck that has new delivery miles only. I have an Edge Insight monitoring the temps. On a recent trip of 1100 miles, this new engine is running only 4 to 5 degrees difference in the oil/coolant temps. This tells me that when you run these engines without a coolant filter the degradation of the flow through the cooler begins immediately. My experience tells me that when you work on the EGR cooler, whether deleting or upgrading, an oil cooler rebuild is wise. The coolant filter is just as good a decision. I checked my coolant filter after 350 miles before I left on the trip and it was already plugged up, no flow. I will be checking it again today and expect it will need changing. My 2 cents worth

Regards

Old 02-20-2010, 04:01 PM
jdc228
Junior User
I just installed the new oil cooler and HPOP screen while I was in there doing the delete

Quick Reply: EGR Delete vrs Newer EGR Cooler?