1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Only drove to get tires and the sky is falling! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 07:39 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I guess I would have better advice if we were to start at the begining. There seems to be a critical piece of information missing here. And that is: How long have you had the truck, if it was sitting how long did it sit and how long have you had it running.

If it sat for awhile and you have just recently gotten it running, then these problems are not unusual.

So more questions: First does your alternator have a regulator, or is it a GM/One wire type.

Second, how long (miles wise) have all your hydrauloics been in working order - both brakes and clutch.

Third, if the truck sat fo rmore than a year, did you purge the gas tank and ensure it was rust free. Are you sure you have a vented gas cap? Have you performed a vacuum/pressure check on the fuel pump? How long has the carb sat?

Here is my advice: First get the hydraulics back in order - brakes and clutch. Make sure they are both bled correctly and leak free. If they are then you shouldn't have any more problems with it.

Then, if you haven't and th etruck has sat for more than a year recently, completely clean your gas tank and be sure to check the tank screen to make sure it is not rusted or plugged. Replace all the fuel lines. Do a vacuum/pressure test ont he fuel pump and replace it if necessary.

Rebuild the carb.

Next, take the truck into a place where they can hook up the battery and alternator and check the battery and alternator output.

When you drive it next time, remove the gas cap for a few miles and see if it still cuts out.

And lastly, you can call me paranoid or not, but the next time you go to that tire shop, I'd watch every move they make around your truck!

Old 03-01-2010, 02:27 AM
polarspeed
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Julie,

I have had the truck for approximately 6 weeks and I have replaced the master cylinder, front wheel cylinders, all flex lines, replaced the shoe springs, installed the auto adjusters from the '66 F100 and the front driver side solid brake line. I deglazed the front shoes and cleaned them and the drums. The rear cylinders returned clear fluid when I bled the system but have not cracked the rear drums to inspect the drums and shoes nor to install of the new goodies.

The truck was "regularly" driven but I am not sure if it sat for a long time before he stated that he was driving it. The tank was not cleaned to my knowledge. I have installed a new locking gas cap from Sacramento vintage ford along with a new float, sender gasket and hose from the filler tube to the tank. I am not sure if it is vented. It was for this model truck. I have not done anything with the fuel lines, filter or fuel pump. The carburetor only has a new air filter on top. I am not sure if it has ever been rebuilt.

I also replaced all of the PCV stuff with new valve, grommets, tubing and breather cap. This seems to have fixed the initial rough idle. I also replaced the vacuum line to the vacuum advance on the distributor, but not sure if that is working or not.

The alternator is a GM one-wire type. There are loose wires everywhere. There are the stock gauges that are not working. There are aftermarket gauges hanging below the dash that are not working either. I have not looked at the distributor, rotor or points.

I like the order in which are suggested to do things. Brakes/clutch, Fuel, spark and then charging system. It gives me the motivation to clean everything up and get everything in the right place in the cleanest path possible. It will be helpful to eliminate all extra wire and organize the mess of rainbow colored wires. Any opinions on the GM alternator? Is it best to go back to the ford and the external regulator? I don't like the idea of a GM part spoiling my Ford Truck.

Any hint of a starter problem? I am starting to think that it is fine.

Thanks for your input, Steve

Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by polarspeed
Julie,

I have had the truck for approximately 6 weeks and I have replaced the master cylinder, front wheel cylinders, all flex lines, replaced the shoe springs, installed the auto adjusters from the '66 F100 and the front driver side solid brake line. I deglazed the front shoes and cleaned them and the drums. The rear cylinders returned clear fluid when I bled the system but have not cracked the rear drums to inspect the drums and shoes nor to install of the new goodies. Good job! But when you adjusting/deglazed the front shoes and didn't do the backs, that increased the grabbing power of the fronts - probably why you had the back wanting to pass you! I'd take the backes off, deglaze them, and properly adjust them, drive backward stepping on the brakes to let the self adjusters fine tune them then you should be ok with brakes.

The truck was "regularly" driven but I am not sure if it sat for a long time before he stated that he was driving it. The tank was not cleaned to my knowledge. I have installed a new locking gas cap from Sacramento vintage ford along with a new float, sender gasket and hose from the filler tube to the tank. I am not sure if it is vented. It was for this model truck. I have not done anything with the fuel lines, filter or fuel pump. The carburetor only has a new air filter on top. I am not sure if it has ever been rebuilt. The next time your truck starts to loose power, pull over tot he side of the road and remove the gas cap - see if there is any suction on it. Gas caps that fit our trucks were used on almost 30 years of trucks, so it wouldn't be unusual for it to be more generic and possibly not vented - and that will cause you problems like you describe. Dirt in the fuel tank or lines will also do what you were talking about. It's the same cause - the fuel pump is trying to pull and the gas won't flow because of a restriction - either to the flow or to allowing air in to replace the used gas.

I also replaced all of the PCV stuff with new valve, grommets, tubing and breather cap. This seems to have fixed the initial rough idle. I also replaced the vacuum line to the vacuum advance on the distributor, but not sure if that is working or not. Great choices - that's probably working ok.

The alternator is a GM one-wire type. There are loose wires everywhere. Think that's a problem that needs to be cleaned up! There are the stock gauges that are not working. These would work if you installed voltage reducers on the back of the gas gauge, and converted the temp and oil to mechanical (since you don't have the original sending units) I have a gallery that has pictures and step by step instructions on how to do that. There are aftermarket gauges hanging below the dash that are not working either. I have not looked at the distributor, rotor or points. Those sound like they are working fine - usually if it runs and runs good they are ok. Did you replace the coil? About 50% of all new oil filled coils are bad. They start to fail when they get warm (engine gets warmed up) and they act just like you are running out of gas.

I like the order in which are suggested to do things. Brakes/clutch, Fuel, spark and then charging system. It gives me the motivation to clean everything up and get everything in the right place in the cleanest path possible. It will be helpful to eliminate all extra wire and organize the mess of rainbow colored wires. I'll post a simplified wiring diagram for your power flow below. Any opinions on the GM alternator? I'd keep it - it's a good product. You may want to ask some GM guys how big their balance pulley is so you can make sure you are getting enough rpm on the alternator at idle rpm though. And ya gotta clean up the wiring - that's a must. Is it best to go back to the ford and the external regulator? Nope, most folks WANT the GM alternator because of it's one wire function. I don't like the idea of a GM part spoiling my Ford Truck. I promise not to tell anyone you are a "Darksider!"

Any hint of a starter problem? I am starting to think that it is fine. Fix the alternator/wiring problems first then if the starter is still "iffy" replace it AND the solenoid. They are cheap. I just replaced mine and the starter and solenoid together were only $65.

Thanks for your input, Steve
Well, I think that's enough homework for tonight.

Here's your wiring diagram for the engine system ("Bus" is power source) and one for the lights just in case you are really motivated:

Name:  E Electrical Flow 2.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  R F1Generic Light Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  71.8 KB

Old 03-01-2010, 04:14 PM
polarspeed
Senior User
Awesome!!!! Thanks, Steve

Old 03-01-2010, 10:30 PM
polarspeed
Senior User
Hello again.... I have always wondered why the title PO came with some sense of distain. I am starting to understand this. While taking off the alternator to go have it tested. I noticed that the water pump/fan pulley is dragging on the crankcase pulley. This complicates the issues a bit. I have also noticed a pool of radiator fluid sitting on top of the water pump. I hope that a change in the bypass hoses will improve this appearance. There was also oil all over the alternator that is being slung from the front motor seals, oil pan gasket or valve cover gaskets.

The wires were all starting places and ending nowhere.

This is really going to be fun! I am learning so much with the help of all of you.

Thanks again, Steve

Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by polarspeed
Hello again.... I have always wondered why the title PO came with some sense of distain. I am starting to understand this. While taking off the alternator to go have it tested. I noticed that the water pump/fan pulley is dragging on the crankcase pulley. This complicates the issues a bit. I have also noticed a pool of radiator fluid sitting on top of the water pump. I hope that a change in the bypass hoses will improve this appearance. There was also oil all over the alternator that is being slung from the front motor seals, oil pan gasket or valve cover gaskets.

The wires were all starting places and ending nowhere.

This is really going to be fun! I am learning so much with the help of all of you.

Thanks again, Steve
Chances are alot of those wires are either left over from the 12 volt conversion, OR they are left over from an older Ford Alternator that had an external regulator.

It's not unusual for there to be PO issues. We all do things differently. Also, it's not unusual if the truck had been sitting for a while for gaskets to be hard/seals to be shot and there to be a few leaks.

I have spent about 6 months installing new things on my truck and 4 1/2 years undoing all the stupid things my PO did. Just to give you and indication: He used a grease gun hose as a substitute for a flexible brake line!

Don't feel all alone, this is pretty normal. Just remember these are great trucks and after you "make it how you like it" you'll really love it!

Best way to handle it is one step at a time - just ask us. Usually you will get better responses if you start a new thread for each item.