Notices
1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines

Max Trailer Weight

Old 02-27-2010, 07:42 PM
FlameNSky
Freshman User
FlameNSky is starting off with a positive reputation.
Max Trailer Weight

I am a little confused about the max trailer weight that I can tow on the rear hitch. Not that I haul anything over 7,000lb but I am just curious. In the owners manual, it said that my '09 F250 can only have a 6,000 lb trailer on the rear hitch without a weight distribution hitch. But on my window sticker it says that my hitch can tow 12,500 lb. Am I reading the owner's manual wrong? Any insight would be appreciated for this weekend warrior.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:47 PM
scraprat
Postmaster
scraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant futurescraprat has a brilliant future
Old 02-27-2010, 07:52 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
Lets start here.

You have a bumper that is capable of having a ball on it and then you can tow. 6K is the max and I think 500 lbs tounge weight. You will never use the bumper for that purpose.

Your truck came with a reciever just under the bumper. That is what is capable of the 12.5 K towing and 1200lbs on the hitch. That is what your window sticker is telling you.

So you can tow up to 12.5K trailer.

So you say nothing more than 7K is all you will towing, therefore you are good to go.

Lets talk about one other item..we know we can tow 12.5K, but can we stop that? Did your truck come with the trailer brake controller? If not then you would need to add that item so that you can use the trailer brakes when towing.

I always recommend that when you have a trailer over 5K that it has brakes. In fact, some states have it as law.

So you have the reciever hitch and the TBC and this will give you the 12.5 max towing.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:04 PM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by FlameNSky View Post
I am a little confused about the max trailer weight that I can tow on the rear hitch. Not that I haul anything over 7,000lb but I am just curious. In the owners manual, it said that my '09 F250 can only have a 6,000 lb trailer on the rear hitch without a weight distribution hitch. But on my window sticker it says that my hitch can tow 12,500 lb. Am I reading the owner's manual wrong? Any insight would be appreciated for this weekend warrior.
both are correct..

you can tow up to 6,000 lbs on the hitch without weight distribution assistance..
12,500 with it.

the sticker says the max, just doesn't say how.

I have an F350, with the 2.5 in receiver, which adds even MORE fun..
using an adapter so that I can use a 2 in drawbar, its 6,000lbs.
if I buy a fancy 2.5in drawbar, then I get 8,000lbs, both non-WD,
still only 12,500 with WD.

Sam

Old 02-27-2010, 08:10 PM
FlameNSky
Freshman User
Thank You, I don't know why I couldn't find that. I appreciate it!

Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 PM
senix
senix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputationsenix has a superb reputation
so do you have the TBC?

Old 02-27-2010, 11:49 PM
TexasRebel
Postmaster
TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.TexasRebel has a great reputation on FTE.
no reason to put a ball on the bumper of a newer SD... they all come with reciever hitches...

the reciever hitch is rated for 12,500# draw and 1,250# load when using a weight distribution setup

but only 6,000# draw and 600# load when using a straight tounge.

this, however, has no influence on your GVW Rating or GCVW Recommendation.

For instance... an F250 diesel CC, long box, can't take too much tounge weight.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:41 AM
redford
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
The 12.5k rating is for the hitch. Only the hitch, not the truck. It has nothing to do with how much your truck can tow. Some Super Duty trucks can tow a lot more, some a bit less.

Your truck's towing capacity is different. it depends on which chassis, engine, transmission and gearing you have. A 2009 F-250 is rated to tow anywhere from 9200 pounds to 12,500 pounds.

See

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...erDutyConv.pdf

for more details.

But, it doesn't end there. You also have to think about tongue weight, how much cargo the truck is hauling and how much weight your tires can support.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:47 AM
redford
redford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputationredford has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by senix View Post
so do you have the TBC?
I thought all 2008+ trucks came standard with a TBC.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:21 AM
senix
Originally Posted by redford View Post
I thought all 2008+ trucks came standard with a TBC.
Nope. They all come standard with the hitch and the trailer wiring. The TBC is called the tow command system I beleive. A separate item. An option still.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:26 PM
RentAMan
Senior User
RentAMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

sdetweil...
I think you may be slightly a$$ over tea kettle on that one.
Its 6k max. capacity on the bumper and 12.5k on the reciever hitch.
That is regardless of any sway control or none at all.
Sway control does not allow you to carry more weight, it just
gives you the ability to carry that weight safer, with more control.

Some bumpers like RANCHHAND brand can handle up to 15k on the
bumper itself, because it is made of thick steel like a receiver.

RECEIVERS:
class III can handle 10k
class IV can handle 12.5k
class V can handle about 15k-16k
G.N. & 5th wheels handle 15k-26k

Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 AM
sdetweil
Post Fiend
sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.sdetweil has a spectacular reputation.
Originally Posted by RentAMan View Post
sdetweil...
I think you may be slightly a$$ over tea kettle on that one.
Its 6k max. capacity on the bumper and 12.5k on the reciever hitch.
That is regardless of any sway control or none at all.
Sway control does not allow you to carry more weight, it just
gives you the ability to carry that weight safer, with more control.

Some bumpers like RANCHHAND brand can handle up to 15k on the
bumper itself, because it is made of thick steel like a receiver.

RECEIVERS:
class III can handle 10k
class IV can handle 12.5k
class V can handle about 15k-16k
G.N. & 5th wheels handle 15k-26k
I didn't write the guide, I'm just reading it..

from the Ford Towing Guide (2008), page 29,
http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/p...TTgdeMay07.pdf

bumper, hitch, and hitch wd are shown..

F250/F350 SRW, 2in receiver
bumper is 5k, hitch is 5k, wd is 12.5k

F350 DRW 2.5in receiver
bumper is 5k, hitch is 8k, wd is 15k, (with adapter only 6k, and 12.5k respectively)
(8k is not show on this table, but is on the hitch, and the paper doc,
and on the online doc here http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub.../0860l6d4e.pdf)

its my truck..(see sig), so I know it personally..

page 29 image attached.

and, sorry, 09 is unchanged from the 08 in this regard

sam

Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 AM
senix
Originally Posted by sdetweil View Post
from the Ford Towing Guide (2008), page 29,
http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/p...TTgdeMay07.pdf

bumper, hitch, and hitch wd are shown..

bumper is 5k, hitch is 6k, wd is 15k, (with adapter only 12.5k)

its my truck..(see sig), so I know it personally..

page 29 image attached.

sam
Stick a fork in him...he is done. My comments were off the cuff on the weight ratings as I did not have time to look it like sdetweil did!

Old 03-06-2010, 07:54 PM
RentAMan
Senior User
RentAMan is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking

The chart says about the same as what I stated earlier.
But...you dont need the extra equipment to be able to tow
the full 12.5k trailer weight, it just makes the trip safer.

Class III & IV hitches are 2" reciever.
Class V hitches are 2.5" receiver.

Even paperwork sometimes gives wrong information.
Hell, I am wrong on occasion (according to my wife).

Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM
FlameNSky
Freshman User
Originally Posted by senix View Post
so do you have the TBC?

Yeah, I have the OEM TBC.

Thank you for all the comments. I have no current plans to pull more than I do now but wanted to know my limits. I have seen my share of vehicle/trailer mishaps over the years and don't want to be "that guy".

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Max Trailer Weight

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.