1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help deciding, need facts

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:34 PM
NVR2LOW
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help deciding, need facts

i should be looking to buy a new truck come early summer and im really up in the air with what i want to buy. i have owned 2 rangers and wouldnt mind owning another but a 4.0 supercab only gets around 18-20 mpg from what i have seen. that made me think if i could get a diesel that gets similar millage then why not get a truck with more room? im looking to spend 15K or less probably putting my in an 03 or so f250 if i go that route although 4x4 is not essential, i have only ever had 2wd and have no problem staying that way if i can find one in NY.

looking for real world info on these bigger trucks since i dont know much about them, and really dont know much about diesel. any info on reliability and maintenance compared to the 4.0. is it possible to keep them up near 20mpg in a 2wd version?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:45 PM
Lou Braun
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My opinion based on having owned just about every size Ford pickup made. You might be better served with an F150. Those trucks have lots of room and are comfortable to drive. The 2WD models give decent mileage.

An 250/350 SD truck is not an economy vehicle since they were designed to be tough and capable haulers. Average mileage is probably 14 mpg depending on how the truck is used. The ride is firm to say the least.

If you plan to tow, plow snow, fill up the bed with heavy stuff then the 250/350s are the ticket. For economy and comfort I'd go with the 150.

My 350 has about double the operating costs of a similar sized 150 truck. The 150 would not do what I need it to do though.

Lou Braun

Old 02-25-2010, 07:55 PM
bunklash
Elder User
For that price, do yourself a favor and stick with the 7.3 diesel, last installed in early 2003 models. It is much more reliable, more easily modded, and less polution control junk on it.
In mixed driving (mostly 60 mph and under I get 17+ at the best. It'll do better on the highway if I keep it at 60 or under. If economy is your goal, and you don't need big hauling or towing power, you may not want a diesel due to their relatively higher upkeep costs.
Lurk around this forum for about 6 months and you'll get a much better idea where to spend your hard-earned sheckles. Good luck!

Old 02-25-2010, 08:00 PM
NVR2LOW
New User
Originally Posted by Lou Braun
My opinion based on having owned just about every size Ford pickup made. You might be better served with an F150. Those trucks have lots of room and are comfortable to drive. The 2WD models give decent mileage.

An 250/350 SD truck is not an economy vehicle since they were designed to be tough and capable haulers. Average mileage is probably 14 mpg depending on how the truck is used. The ride is firm to say the least.

If you plan to tow, plow snow, fill up the bed with heavy stuff then the 250/350s are the ticket. For economy and comfort I'd go with the 150.

My 350 has about double the operating costs of a similar sized 150 truck. The 150 would not do what I need it to do though.

Lou Braun
most my friends with f150's seem to be around 15mpg at best, it seams odd to me that an f150 gets 15 or so and the little 3200 pound ranger only gets about 2-3mpg better. i dont need a 250, i just like the idea of the space and the power/potential mpg of a diesel, at least the potential i thought they had.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:18 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A diesel will have power to push, pull, tow, whatever, but power costs (both monetarily, and mileage). So, if you find a 1995 Dodge with a diesel you might break 20mpg, but it'll be low on power. If you find a 2003 7.3L you'll be up on power and lower on mileage. You find a 2005 6.0L and you'll have crazy power and crap mileage. You find a 6.4L Ford and you'll wish you never had it if you're not full-timing in a 12k lbs fifth wheel because the mileage will KILL you (although you'll probably have power to play around with).

Old 02-25-2010, 08:29 PM
NVR2LOW
New User
i guess big diesel may not be the way to go, if they would only bring the diesel rangers from south america to the US

Old 02-25-2010, 09:17 PM
maxum96
Tuned
I just sold my 01 F150 extra cab 2wd with a 4.6 V8. I averaged 12-14mpg with it. I replaced it with a 06 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 with a 6.0 diesel. So far I've been getting around 12mpg in town with it. So my mpg is about the same. But my F350 cost more to maintain. And diesel is more expensive than gasoline. With that said, I love my F350. Can't wait until summer to get it up in the mountains camping and towing.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:21 PM
NVR2LOW
New User
well, i guess from the sounds of it i will just have to stick with the rangers, i dont tow anything and dont fill the bed all that often.

Old 02-26-2010, 11:47 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
I have one of the last 7.3L's to come off the line. With stock sized tires I was getting 13mpg city/18+mpg highway (depending on traffice, slope and wind). I just upped to 285/75-16 tires and I'm running around 13.5 mpg's overall (down from 15mpgs overall). With some programming (tune/chip) you can get more, but a lot of it is based on the truck itself. Some get better mileage than others, that's just the way the planets align. But you also have to consider the maintenance. I change the oil every 5-7K miles and it takes nearly 4 GALLONS of oil, and when you add in my oil filter you're talking about $60 (for dino) and nearly $100 (for synthetic). Add on the $30 ($50 at the dealership) fuel filter every other oil change and you can see that adds up. Tires are not cheap and you're looking at 30-40K out of a good set (unless you go with a hard compound highway tire). The cooling system is 8 GALLONS to flush and a truck that weighs around 4 tons is hard on it's components, so ball joints, steering and suspension will become an issue. As you look at an older truck there are things with the diesel that will have to be replaced with age that are not cheap (High Pressure Oil Pump and injectors) too.

I don't mean to turn you off by any means, but be sure you know what you're getting into. Unless you need a diesel, you have to want to own one. If you take care of it, it will be around for a long time.

That being said, I LOVE my truck. At 195K, I still have the original injectors and I just replaced my HPOP due to leaks that I couldn't repair. My original ball joints lasted me over 180K miles and the truck runs as strong as ever. Granted, my power numbers are far below the norm of today, but I plan on still having my truck 305K miles from now.

I would recommend that you have an 3rd party mechanic take a look at the truck (one that knows the Powerstroke) before you buy. They can give you an idea of what you're getting into, as well as provide information that you can use to bargain with if you are interested in buying it. It was the best $100 I spent when I bought mine.

Sorry for the rant. I'm all for adding to the Powerstroke family, but a lot people don't think about the back end (maint, repairs) of the purchase. I love my rig and wouldn't give it up for the world. I just want you to feel the same about your purchase.

Old 02-26-2010, 03:20 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by NVR2LOW
most my friends with f150's seem to be around 15mpg at best, it seams odd to me that an f150 gets 15 or so and the little 3200 pound ranger only gets about 2-3mpg better. i dont need a 250, i just like the idea of the space and the power/potential mpg of a diesel, at least the potential i thought they had.
I sold my 06 F150 to upgrade to the 08 F350 DRW. I was getting 14.5 around town on the F150, using a tuner. I get 12.5 now. highway empty is about the same. It had the 4.6l V8, not the 5.4.. so I couldn't really tow anything of substance, like my 7000lb enclosed car trailer with car (shown in avatar). .
so we had to use our 08 suburban for every towing event. and the 7000lbs was right at the limit there, and we got 6mpg towing..

with the F350, same trailer, I get around 11 loaded.. so 6->11 is almost double while towing, AND it is SO much more stable, don't even THINK about sway vs white knuckle before.

the ONLY thing I miss is the deep bed on the F150. cause I could carry my car motors with the cover on the bed (its great when raining).. and can't now..

Sam

Old 02-26-2010, 05:01 PM
NVR2LOW
New User
Originally Posted by brian42
I have one of the last 7.3L's to come off the line. With stock sized tires I was getting 13mpg city/18+mpg highway (depending on traffice, slope and wind). I just upped to 285/75-16 tires and I'm running around 13.5 mpg's overall (down from 15mpgs overall). With some programming (tune/chip) you can get more, but a lot of it is based on the truck itself. Some get better mileage than others, that's just the way the planets align. But you also have to consider the maintenance. I change the oil every 5-7K miles and it takes nearly 4 GALLONS of oil, and when you add in my oil filter you're talking about $60 (for dino) and nearly $100 (for synthetic). Add on the $30 ($50 at the dealership) fuel filter every other oil change and you can see that adds up. Tires are not cheap and you're looking at 30-40K out of a good set (unless you go with a hard compound highway tire). The cooling system is 8 GALLONS to flush and a truck that weighs around 4 tons is hard on it's components, so ball joints, steering and suspension will become an issue. As you look at an older truck there are things with the diesel that will have to be replaced with age that are not cheap (High Pressure Oil Pump and injectors) too.

I don't mean to turn you off by any means, but be sure you know what you're getting into. Unless you need a diesel, you have to want to own one. If you take care of it, it will be around for a long time.

That being said, I LOVE my truck. At 195K, I still have the original injectors and I just replaced my HPOP due to leaks that I couldn't repair. My original ball joints lasted me over 180K miles and the truck runs as strong as ever. Granted, my power numbers are far below the norm of today, but I plan on still having my truck 305K miles from now.

I would recommend that you have an 3rd party mechanic take a look at the truck (one that knows the Powerstroke) before you buy. They can give you an idea of what you're getting into, as well as provide information that you can use to bargain with if you are interested in buying it. It was the best $100 I spent when I bought mine.

Sorry for the rant. I'm all for adding to the Powerstroke family, but a lot people don't think about the back end (maint, repairs) of the purchase. I love my rig and wouldn't give it up for the world. I just want you to feel the same about your purchase.
thanks, exactly the info i was looking for since i know nothing about diesel maintenance.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:05 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
I have a completely stock 2000 F250 2WD with the 7.3L diesel and 6-speed manual transmission. I get 19 mpg all the time in mixed city/highway driving. Hard to beat that with anything except tiny econo cars. I also get 19 mpg on the freeway at about any speed. If I go 64 mph it sets the engine right on peak torque and the mileage will climb to 23 mpg. I don't have the discipline to stay at that speed so I get 19 mpg instead.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:20 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
While it's possible to get 20 mpg's in a diesel (I can do it), the odds of you doing so are pretty slim. Add in the fact that diesel fuel is more $$$ right now than gasoline, even at 20 mpg's, the diesel still has a disadvantage in cost per mile.

If you step up to a super duty from a ranger, it should be because you want it or need it. Economically, you won't be able to justify it.

Old 02-27-2010, 01:00 AM
redford
Received 1,589 Likes on 928 Posts
If you want a roomier truck but are worried about fuel mileage, consider a used 2WD F-150 with a V-6. They are still out there and are a good compromise between needing a bigger truck with a little more capability and fuel mileage. They are somewhat rare but they do exist.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:55 PM
msgtg
Post Fiend
Great post by Brian. Very relevant info too! I'm on my first diesel and the cost of routine maintenance was a rude shock....and I do most of my own simple maintenance!

An oil filter is $18...and you have to use specific manufacturers or they'll cause you problems.

13 quarts of oil....and you're used to 4 to 6 quarts, right?

If you get an automatic...the tranny fluid is supposed to be changed every 30K miles...

Do yourself a favor and stop by your local auto parts store and ask about brake pad prices...I've had to replace my front rotors because they were warped. Oh, while you're at it, check on tires....Load Range E's. I put Michelins on mine last year....at about $200 a pop...it's gets expensive fast.

Good Luck! You'll find lots of us who belong to the "I really don't NEED a Diesel...but I bought one anyway" club. A great bunch of guys who are willing to share info, but only if you ask!

Joe

Quick Reply: help deciding, need facts