Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dome Light Override Switch - OOPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Rickx
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did this a few years ago. I pulled the instrument cluster.(4 screws) The blue wire with a black stripe you are looking for is on the far right connector. If you route it through a switch from this point, you will get the running board lights also.

I liked this method because I was able to sit in the drivers seat for the entire mod. No digging through wires on my side. I didn't even need a flashlight. I put the switch just to the right of the headlight switch(there is a big void there) and was able to route the wire, drill the hole, and mount the switch easily from the drivers seat.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:17 AM
dsmm6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Must thank everyone on the forum who posted some very helpful information informing me on how to install an on/off switch for the interior/running board lights. My family found a drive in theater 45 minutes south of us and the first time we went, we were the only ones in the parking lot lit up like a Christmas tree. Since, I found the black wire with the blue stripe by removing the kick panel by the fuel shut off switch, cut it and ran wires along the top of the carpet under the dash to just under the dimmer switch and installed my switch there. Now we've been to the drive in three more times this summer and the switch works like a charm!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:10 AM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Has anyone done this mod on a 05?

Old 08-16-2013, 10:43 AM
TinMan289
Senior User
Originally Posted by ithaca1230
Has anyone done this mod on a 05?
I just did it a couple hours ago on my '05...short, sweet - longest part was going to get the parts needed.

Thanks to everyone for the great pics....found the right wire the first try

Ithaca - everything is in the same place; when you access the kick panel, looking at the cluster from the drivers perspective, the wire is on the left side of the left plug. I took apart the grab handle and trim and console after the sill plate and kick panel, ran a coat hanger down the corner of the dash and pulled up the wires, ran them along the A pillar then ran the coat hanger from the OH console to the A pillar and pulled them along the front of the windshield. Find the wire, cut and butt splice, terminate the other ends with blade connectors and then made a hole between the vent controls like wallz did on page 1...i decided to not light the switch though. Then button it back up....easy peasy.

Old 08-31-2013, 07:52 PM
MarkA4
Freshman User
Anybody have info on the running board lights on a 2004 Eddie Bauer diesel?

I just removed the radio, instrument panel bezel and instrument cluster and didn't find any connectors behind it as mentioned in a few previous posts. Next I opened up the right kick panel like most others are doing, found the black with blue wire and opened it up. It does control the interior overhead lights but leaves the running board lights on.

I also fully disconnected all three big connectors there in the kick panel and the running board lights remain on. I don't like the idea of two separate switches, but at this point can't even find a second wire for the running boards.

Thanks.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:47 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
hard to be stealth when your lit up like a christmas tree at night! hahaha

Old 09-12-2013, 12:58 AM
MarkA4
Freshman User
Answering my own question from above here... With the help of this other post, the behind the instrument cluster solution worked for me on my 2004 Eddie Bauer diesel 4x4 for both interior AND running board lights. I posted a bunch of photos of my whole project there too, below the original post with wiring diagram:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post13525389

Enjoy,

-Mark

Old 09-12-2013, 08:09 AM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
Thanks Tim Man I will be doing this soon. It will be nice to be able to turn the lights off.

Old 09-12-2013, 01:12 PM
TinMan289
Senior User
Your welcome!

It came in real handy over Labor Day weekend out on the beach down at Cape Cod when I wanted to leave the hatch and doors open all day. Gave my Great Dane a place to go lay down whenever she wanted without having to bother me!

Old 09-12-2013, 01:18 PM
ithaca1230
Laughing Gas
Same here we were just on the beach at Outer banks and had to constantly shut the doors to save the batteries.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:21 PM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have had mine open all day and the dome lights and running board light eventually shut off. But no issues restarting....tho it takes a while...which makes it a pain at the drive in.

Old 01-17-2015, 05:51 PM
harley4jcs
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pennsylvaniabo
I have had mine open all day and the dome lights and running board light eventually shut off. But no issues restarting....tho it takes a while...which makes it a pain at the drive in.

The problem I have with that solution is every time you make any change ( open or close another door)the timer starts all over again PLUS if the back latches won't make up while driving at night WELL, let's just say you should keep your hands in your pockets

Old 01-17-2015, 06:32 PM
pennsylvaniabo
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeh I understand that. I might have to look into this override since its 30 min and some wires.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:02 AM
tombloch
New User
Hey guys,

I just finished the dome light override in an 02 V10 during my vacation on a little island north of the netherlands, called Terschelling.
Apparently I found one black/light blue cable behind the passengers kick panel amongst a bazillion of other cables. I cut it: dome light off, running board lights off. Added wiring which I dragged behind the glove compartment and, by loosening the two 7mm screws, that holds the senseless trashbag holder (or whatever you wanna hang there), and put this item out.
When getting rid of the cover to reach the fuses, you can see light coming from the area underneath the stearing. I mounted my wires on a little stick and worked it through the opening (which I got by getting rid of the hanger-thang) towards the foot area underneath the stearing. Then it was easy to mount a switch next to light switches a couple of inches to your right, attach the wiring.
Bingo. Dome light override including lights on running boards.

All necessary information for this project I got right here, thru this amazing forum and its amazing members. So thank you all!

Old 05-11-2016, 05:45 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by tombloch
Hey guys,

I just finished the dome light override in an 02 V10 during my vacation on a little island north of the netherlands, called Terschelling.
Apparently I found one black/light blue cable behind the passengers kick panel amongst a bazillion of other cables. I cut it: dome light off, running board lights off. Added wiring which I dragged behind the glove compartment and, by loosening the two 7mm screws, that holds the senseless trashbag holder (or whatever you wanna hang there), and put this item out.
When getting rid of the cover to reach the fuses, you can see light coming from the area underneath the stearing. I mounted my wires on a little stick and worked it through the opening (which I got by getting rid of the hanger-thang) towards the foot area underneath the stearing. Then it was easy to mount a switch next to light switches a couple of inches to your right, attach the wiring.
Bingo. Dome light override including lights on running boards.

All necessary information for this project I got right here, thru this amazing forum and its amazing members. So thank you all!

Hey Tom @tombloch, you have to share some pictures of your LPG powered EX roaming around your part of the globe with the group here. We LOVE pictures of EXcursions and seeing one surviving in the wild so far from home would be pretty awesome! (<--- That's German beer they are drinking! )

Quick Reply: Dome Light Override Switch - OOPS