1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

1999 Expedition Turn Signal/Hazard problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 09:39 PM
alloro
Received 4,201 Likes on 2,436 Posts
Originally Posted by Gevans17
Yes, the lock cylinder has to come out. Insert key and turn to RUN position;
First disconnect the battery.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:57 PM
ArgoExpedition
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The retaining clips on my connector to the turn signal system were broken and the connector started sliding out causing similar issues; could be that too. Mine was the connectors under the steering column pieces, (take the key cylinder out etc) and two(?) connectors under the top cover were the problems.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:35 PM
johnkirk
Junior User
Originally Posted by ArgoExpedition
The retaining clips on my connector to the turn signal system were broken and the connector started sliding out causing similar issues; could be that too. Mine was the connectors under the steering column pieces, (take the key cylinder out etc) and two(?) connectors under the top cover were the problems.
So the connectors just came unplugged or were they damaged?

Old 02-24-2010, 09:30 PM
ArgoExpedition
Junior User
Originally Posted by johnkirk
So the connectors just came unplugged or were they damaged?
Just unplugged, although I suppose the clips could have been damaged because someone tried to remove them before...

I used a tiny short screw and screwed it in the side just enough to put pressure on the connector and it has not been a problem since. I did not want to screw into the connector just in case I missed and have it short out the pins.

Old 10-23-2010, 11:22 PM
TriniWolf
New User
Hello,

I am having a similar problem here and have, except for a few minor differences. All signals work except for the rear driver's side signal. The first thing I did was to replace the bulb, even though it was not blown. I also switched the bulb assembly to the other side, and I thought that fixed the problem since the signals on all sides worked. Then a few hours later, the opposite side stopped working, then without me doing anything it "fixed" itself. Now the signal has gone out again. I thought it may have been a faulty flasher, so I bought the part and switched it out, but that still didn't change anything.

Can anyone help me with this?

Old 10-24-2010, 06:41 PM
thecardoc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TriniWolf Don't assume just because a bulb looks good that it is good . I suspect that because your problem moved to the to the side you switched the bulb assembly to that that bulb assembly is the problem .

Old 11-03-2010, 03:26 PM
TriniWolf
New User
1999 Expedition Turn Signal/Hazard problem

Originally Posted by thecardoc
TriniWolf Don't assume just because a bulb looks good that it is good . I suspect that because your problem moved to the to the side you switched the bulb assembly to that that bulb assembly is the problem .
I figured that was the next step but i wanted to be sure.

Thanks,

(I guess I didn't mention that I still went ahead and changed the bulbs, but the problem persisted.)

Old 01-30-2012, 07:28 PM
cardsf250
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope to goodness the originator of this post found out about the WD-40 sprayed in the hazard flasher switch before he took apart everything else!!! Worked like a charm on my 1997 Expedition after a frustrating witch hunt for the culprit of no turn signals, no brake lights and no hazard flashers.....

Old 05-12-2014, 09:29 PM
Aldo Baron
New User
my passenger rear end turn signal lights, brake lights, and emergency lights wont come on but its not the bulb. what can it be???

Old 05-12-2014, 10:02 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by Aldo Baron
my passenger rear end turn signal lights, brake lights, and emergency lights wont come on but its not the bulb. what can it be???
To avoid confusion, you should start a new thread for your issue. To do so, click the New Thread button at the top left of the list on this page: Expedition & Navigator - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

or just click this link.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/n...newthread&f=27

Old 06-15-2014, 03:53 PM
M fire
Freshman User
My Expedition is a 99 EB 4x4, the turn signals hsve been intermittent. Today worse. Some days they are fine then out of no where the stop working. They will flash 3-4 times then stop. Also, at times you can hear as is it is shorting when not getting full contact. Any ideas here? Thanks.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:28 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by M fire
My Expedition is a 99 EB 4x4, the turn signals have been intermittent. Today worse. Some days they are fine then out of no where the stop working. They will flash 3-4 times then stop.
Sometimes the tilt column pulls down on the wires going to the turn signal switch, breaks the connector retainers, and then pulls the connector out part way. This can lead to the flashers not working at all, or working intermittently. Try tilting your column all the way up or down to see if it affects them working or not. Other than that, if it's not the flasher unit, it could be the turn signal switch. To test the switch, try pressing the lever away from you slightly, and then towards you slightly as you're activating the turn signal to see if that affects the issue.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:39 PM
M fire
Freshman User
How do you get to the flasher relay? I can hold it pull on the flasher but it won't release and come out. Are there some tabs that I can't see. I'm just reaching under the dash. I haven't removed any panels yet. Thanks for any help.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:13 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by M fire
How do you get to the flasher relay? I can hold it pull on the flasher but it won't release and come out.
Pull hard and wiggle it at the same time. There is no release or latch.

Old 06-28-2014, 04:20 PM
M fire
Freshman User
Ok, I'll try again. Is it necessary to remove any panels or just work on your back on the floor?

Quick Reply: 1999 Expedition Turn Signal/Hazard problem