1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD vs Avalanche????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 12:00 PM
glmf 1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SD vs Avalanche????????

Alright guys, my bud has an 02 Avalanche with all the do dads and the 5.3 motor, I have a 02 SD 250, Super Cab with the 5.4 and the 3.73 LS rear end. His truck has way more features than mine, rides better and gets way better mileage. But I still love my TRUCK, mainly because when I crawled under the other brands and drove all the brands, the Ford just felt and looked like the best built and toughest truck out there. I wanted my truck to be simple and tough, no esof, just power mirrors, windows and locks and AC. Manual hubs and a shift lever on the floor and I had to look at alot of them to find the combo I was looking for, so to me, I have the truck I wanted and after 15K miles, I have no regrets. Now he is always after me about the lack of features in my SD and I have to remind him that my truck is exactly the way I wanted it and when all his do dads start to crap out, I will keep on truckin,,,, but he persists, so you know where I am headed with this,, I think when I show him my big tow strap and offer for the tug of war, he will become very quiet, but, I am not sure, he may sign on, so tell me fella's,,,,, whats gonna happen when I hook up to that God awful looking POS????

Old 01-20-2003, 12:57 PM
ke6jcf
Senior User
SD vs Avalanche????????

I too have just what I was looking for when buying a new (to me) truck. I looked all over and found auto trans, manual everything else, as I too just wait for things to fall off. It doesn't seem to matter who made it, all those fancy gadgets need either mainenance or repair. There are those that will disagree and that is their choice as mine is mine. To get to the subject at hand, the great tug-of-war, it will be very interesting to find the outcome as the two trucks are similar in theory but I beleive the Ford is hands down far tougher than the competition and will prevail. The last Chev I owned didn't even need a Ford to pull it apart it did it all by itself before 50K!

Doug

Old 01-20-2003, 01:19 PM
hookspacken
Junior User
SD vs Avalanche????????

be careful now, you dont want to break the seal on that tupperware truck, or it may be hard to burp the air out of it agin to get a good seal.
Honestly, i think if i hooked a tow strap to one of those with my superduty, it would rip that plastic bumper off in a second, probably take the rest of the plastic bed along with it.

Old 01-20-2003, 01:28 PM
Karic
Elder User
SD vs Avalanche????????

Why even bother?

What your buddy got in do-dad's, the rest of us got in REAL truck parts. Besides, how could you let a friend buy a plastic truck?

Rick

Old 01-20-2003, 02:26 PM
garymake
Senior User
SD vs Avalanche????????

How much did he pay for his vs. how much you paid for yours?

What are the load specs for his vs yours?

How about towing specs?

He bought a street ride to impress - gee, I don't know... Blind people (Man those things are ugly).....

You bought a truck!

If you wanted to spend the extra $$$$ you could have had all those extra options too - You just wanted a truck and you got what you wanted! SMART MAN!!!

Sounds to me like your friend is trying to compensate for what his truck lacks in toughness with a lot of plastic novelties to impress the little chippies.....

YOU WIN!

Old 01-20-2003, 04:07 PM
BT3
New User
SD vs Avalanche????????

I'd just tell him that all those gizmos are like Perfume on a Pig. Wouldn't even honor him with a pull off.

Dam ugliest truck (if ya wanna call it that) I've ever seen.

B

Old 01-20-2003, 04:18 PM
abendx
Posting Guru
SD vs Avalanche????????

dude... just let him know he has the ugliest truck know to man!

Old 01-20-2003, 05:03 PM
nafzimo
Posting Guru
SD vs Avalanche????????

Originally posted by garymake
He bought a street ride to impress - gee, I don't know... Blind people (Man those things are ugly).....

Now come on! Give them some credit, even blind people know those things are ugly!
Matt

Old 01-20-2003, 05:10 PM
CO4x4SD
Senior User
SD vs Avalanche????????

Tell your buddy he is trying to compare apples to oranges if it isn't a 2500 Avalanche. If it is a 1500 series then how can you compare your TRUCK to his CAR with a bed??

A few things I find suspicious about the Avalanche:

-All the plastic body panels. I can't wait to see all the faded plastic in a few years. The few pieces on my truck, such as the bed rail caps and running boards are faded as heck.

-The convertable bed thing. From what I have seen, when you have the bed open the interior has no rear protection from the weather. I sure would love to haul a load on a dusty road or in the rain and snow as it pours in! And I wonder what shape all the moving parts and the glass piece will look like after a 100,00 miles.

-The sheer ugliness of the thing. I usually say to each his own but how can anyone with any sense of taste think those things look good? Strange.

The 2500 series has a beefier drivetrain, but still has the plastic body panels, open rear along with tons of GM plastic interior doo dads to break. Still comparing apples to oranges IMO.

This novelty vehicle looks to have a really short, light duty lifespan. Hope he is leasing it so he can get rid of it in a few years!

If it was my friend I'd laugh at him every time he tried to compare and tell him we could talk when he drives up in a 2500 Silverado or Sierra TRUCK.

Old 01-20-2003, 06:29 PM
GAV10
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SD vs Avalanche????????

I'm insulted anyone would even put Super Duty and Avalance in the same sentence. I wouldn't even let my dog ride in that thing.

GAV10 Mark

Old 01-20-2003, 06:31 PM
Outpost22
Posting Guru
SD vs Avalanche????????

A Honda Civic may have more "goodies" on it than my SD, but I would never buy one.
You better put your buddy in REHAB for buying something that ugly.

Geez, now I notice in this NEW forum I'm an "ELDER" user. Where's my Depends...?

Old 01-20-2003, 06:46 PM
abendx
Posting Guru
SD vs Avalanche????????

Originally posted by CO4x4SD
Tell your buddy he is trying to compare apples to oranges if it isn't a 2500 Avalanche.
still missing the point... no comparo between ANY gm product and a superduty.... all about cushy riding IFS vs strong as hell solid axel (and lift-able as hell solid axel).

if i want a cushy ride, i'll buy a mercedes!

if i want a truck, i'll buy a straight axeled superduty!!

Old 01-20-2003, 06:48 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
SD vs Avalanche????????

if i want a cushy ride, i'll buy a mercedes!

if i want a truck, i'll buy a straight axeled superduty!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Amen!!

Old 01-20-2003, 07:37 PM
CO4x4SD
Senior User
SD vs Avalanche????????

[QUOTE]Originally posted by abendx
[B]still missing the point... no comparo between ANY gm product and a superduty.... all about cushy riding IFS vs strong as hell solid axel (and lift-able as hell solid axel).

Not really missing the point. Although I am biased against GM, their 2500, 2500HD, and 3500 are comparable trucks to our Ford Super Duty series, like it or not.

If you want to compare a lifted Super Duty with larger tires to a lifted 2500, 2500HD, or 3500 with larger tires then you are absoulutely correct, easier to do and stronger - no comparison.

Just because we drive Ford's doesn't mean that everything else is automatically inferior, that is the attitude most GM guys have.

Old 01-20-2003, 07:51 PM
sportscar
Senior User
SD vs Avalanche????????

The guy next door has one of those "trucks". The driveways are side by side. Never enjoyed looking at my Truck so much.
I just don't get it! I could never pull my car with one of those.

Quick Reply: SD vs Avalanche????????