Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Engine Swap Pics and Story!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Quick444
Thanks guys. It feels great to be lurking back over to this forum again.

I should add that Mugly was in service to my roomate for about a year as he was involved in a accident with his 87 F250, but was driving without insurance at the time (he works away from town like me, and it had lapsed while he was away, and the person at fault was also un-insured), and I let him borrow Mugly to get around town and insisted he not feel bad driving her. He ended up saving up for a mid 2000s Duramax and I now have driving privileges of it since Mugly is worn out.

I believe my front axle tube to be bent, as I had to replace the shorter axle shaft twice in the last couple thousands of miles. For how little I've used the truck, and wearing out the short axle shaft/wheel bearing out so far, I'm figuring the front axle is done.

Transmission was getting a little mushy with shifting. Motor has a small oil pan leak that cannot be patched without pulling the motor, annoying but never made the time to pull it since I figured I'd do even more work at the time.

Our last big voyage, Mugly threw a belt, taking out the upper radiator hose and absolutely annihilating the sound deadening fabric on the underside of the hood. This combined with the truck sitting for a while has put an odor to the interior.

She last cruised in May when we moved into our new house and that short little run across town was absolutely awesome. That truck is probably my favorite toy of them all, I just gotta snap out of it and get it back at the top of my to do list. But, damn that dually wouldn't be bad for 5k or so, however never being home means I don't really need the truck too. Ugh, deals.
Mugly I think is angry at you for driving Chevy and for your friend being a Chevy guy...not a good sign....you may want to quickly make peace both with Mugly and the Ford dieties...Ford trucks are a bit like Wolves they run and "hunt" in packs...ask me how I know....I had Enigma pissed off at me for doing the same thing at work...though he does understand I have no decisions in the matters...

Old 05-21-2016, 03:23 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I've continued to brew this idea and I may avoid it after all. If I can go spend 6,000 on another truck why not spend a fraction of that to get MUGLY going again?

With my work schedule I can easily survive without her in tip top shape. Once I liquidate a couple projects, she can go back to being the main queen.

Id rather use my cash on a welder and plan on a extended frame and flatbed project.

It just sort of hit me last night that I can go by 10 more trucks but never another Legend. This truck has been the staple of my Alaskan chapter in life. The idea of a build thread and turning her around would bring me great joy.

Old 05-21-2016, 07:29 PM
jayft8
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I've continued to brew this idea and I may avoid it after all. If I can go spend 6,000 on another truck why not spend a fraction of that to get MUGLY going again?

With my work schedule I can easily survive without her in tip top shape. Once I liquidate a couple projects, she can go back to being the main queen.

Id rather use my cash on a welder and plan on a extended frame and flatbed project.

It just sort of hit me last night that I can go by 10 more trucks but never another Legend. This truck has been the staple of my Alaskan chapter in life. The idea of a build thread and turning her around would bring me great joy.
Sounds like you gave the decision the time it needed and arrived at the right one, ultimately, Alex.

My thought on your quandary has been that I'm sure you can find another dually or tow rig, but never another Mugly. As your reference to the famous line in the beginning, "there are many like it, but this one is mine."

And I would add, you are Mugly's

Old 05-23-2016, 09:20 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
Right on!!!!

Old 05-23-2016, 05:12 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
a build thread and turning her around would bring me great joy.

As it would us as well when we get to follow along

Old 05-29-2016, 06:25 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
I for one can't wait to see the build thread....err rebuild thread on Muggly...kind of like how I am doing with Enigma, a rebuild build thread for him...

Now I think Muggly has to have a new level of Ford tough, I mean yes there is Ford Tough but still this is more then just Ford Tough...Ford built like a tank...

Old 06-06-2016, 09:07 PM
frdf250
Fleet Mechanic
Quick444 - I hope you know, i first read your thread when i was pretty young - 22yrs old. You inspired me to work on several trucks and never give up. I cant believe this thread is back up after so many years. I hope you rebuild her!!

Old 12-02-2017, 06:01 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Well, I'm doing my somewhat annual bump on this thread.

First off, I just coughed up to allow my Photobucket account to 3rd party host these pictures again.

Second, I have a second truck. It still feels like betrayal but based on my situation it was the right time and price sort of deal. 2000 F350, ZF6 and King Ranch swapped, with GTP38R and mild injectors to mention a few things. This truck will be tasked with helping pursue my ultimate dream which is to race in the Baja 1000. I went down this year to help work on a chase crew, had a blast.

I hope to race a RZR next year and this truck will be my to and from vehicle.

I felt weird buying another truck but having the LB is nice and man does the sound of a 7.3 sound like home.

The truck has some electrical grimlins and many things I don't like about it, but the overall plan is to turn it into a reliable and useful do everything and haul anything rig. I have some dreams of a nice aluminum flatbed setup but I'll probably have to pay someone to do it for me because work has me out of town most of the year. Fortunate for the opportunities that I have but sad I don't have the time to do everything myself!

Attached Images    
Old 12-02-2017, 09:24 PM
jayft8
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hooray! Good to see you again Alex, and hope all is well.
Worked out of Ketchikan many years ago and wish I could be back in AK.

Old 12-03-2017, 07:31 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Now I recall reading this thread, so...that's you eh? LOL What an adventure. I'll bet that you were a handful when you were a kid. That is a great story, thanks for sharing and good luck on your Baja race. You just have to let us know how you do.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:18 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
a 6 speed and kingranch longbed, you made out son! congrats!!!

Old 12-05-2017, 09:43 AM
SDElwood
Hotshot
Received 588 Likes on 319 Posts
The shifter boot looks loose.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:32 AM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by jayft8
Hooray! Good to see you again Alex, and hope all is well.
Worked out of Ketchikan many years ago and wish I could be back in AK.
Thanks, I've already been up here almost 10 years. Can't believe it. Hope to be up here for a long time.

Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
Now I recall reading this thread, so...that's you eh? LOL What an adventure. I'll bet that you were a handful when you were a kid. That is a great story, thanks for sharing and good luck on your Baja race. You just have to let us know how you do.
I was actually a pretty low maintenance child, according to my own mother. However, I did often take her stuff apart with various levels of success on the reassembly. Nothing I do these days seems to surprise her.

Originally Posted by Skip1970
a 6 speed and kingranch longbed, you made out son! congrats!!!
And the back seats fold up for dog transport! I do realllllly love the new creature comforts.

Originally Posted by SDElwood
The shifter boot looks loose.
Yeah, the zf6 swap wasn't exactly super clean. Down the road I hope to replace the carpet, and redo the shifter boot area. The 4x4 **** is gone, so I'm not even truly sure on my 4x4 settings, lol!

Old 12-05-2017, 02:23 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Thanks, I've already been up here almost 10 years. Can't believe it. Hope to be up here for a long time.

I was actually a pretty low maintenance child, according to my own mother. However, I did often take her stuff apart with various levels of success on the reassembly. Nothing I do these days seems to surprise her.

And the back seats fold up for dog transport! I do realllllly love the new creature comforts.

Yeah, the zf6 swap wasn't exactly super clean. Down the road I hope to replace the carpet, and redo the shifter boot area. The 4x4 **** is gone, so I'm not even truly sure on my 4x4 settings, lol!

i too too have had interest in racing in a Baja race, it sounds really fun honestly, just can’t find any one who shares the same thoughts as me or who can help me

best at of luck to you with Baja

Old 12-05-2017, 02:48 PM
dmueller71
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Holy crap. I was actually telling the kid that works for me this whole story just last Friday. He was bitching about having to change a trans out in his driveway. I explained that it could always be worse. LOL. Good to hear that you're doing well!!!

Quick Reply: Engine Swap Pics and Story!