Updated GM Pickup - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices
Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Updated GM Pickup

Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Truck451
Junior User
Truck451 is new and has a neutral reputation at this point.
Updated GM Pickup

I don't believe in the "updated" GM Pickup.
It still isn't anywhere as good as the upcoming Super Duty.
I also can't believe GM is resuming "full-speed ahead" in the developent of their next generation of full-size trucks and SUVs. Especially with the declining interest in truck based frame on body SUVs, and especially; full-size SUVs.
I think GM is the same as they always have been before; only reorganized and reiterated under their bankruptcy.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Louisville Joe
Elder User
Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Louisville Joe is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have seen pictures of the new chassis that will be under the 2011 Sierra and Silverado HD's. It looks pretty impressive, substantial improvements in strength and stiffness. Doesn't look like ground clearance has improved much though.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:49 AM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
"Maximum Bob" Lutz may retire in May. That might change product plans.

The full size truck is still the most profitable part of the Big 2.5, Ford included. Failing to update product is fatal in this business. Look at Chrysler's passenger cars. Well, I cant actually look at a Sebring without a gag reflex.

Ground clearance is an issue for what, one percent or less of those who actually need it. Off-pavement driving I do on my property and on Forest Service roads could easily be done with a Ranger on 14's. With today's 17-20 inch rim sizes, clearance has to be more than a few years ago when 15's were standard.

Jim

Old 03-09-2010, 03:49 PM
jschira
Postmaster
jschira is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.jschira is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by jimandmandy View Post
Ground clearance is an issue for what, one percent or less of those who actually need it. Off-pavement driving I do on my property and on Forest Service roads could easily be done with a Ranger on 14's. With today's 17-20 inch rim sizes, clearance has to be more than a few years ago when 15's were standard.

Jim
I suspect that the ability of a 5'-2" woman to be able to strap a kid into a car seat easily without standing on the running boards is a bigger concern to GM engineers than off-road clearance.

Ride height, with the corresponding easy of entry and exit, is the more primary concern over ground clearance off road.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.Fordfanatic4life has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by jschira View Post
I suspect that the ability of a 5'-2" woman to be able to strap a kid into a car seat easily without standing on the running boards is a bigger concern to GM engineers than off-road clearance.

Ride height, with the corresponding easy of entry and exit, is the more primary concern over ground clearance off road.
yup i bet thats exactly whats going on there...

GM trucks have been ride tuned to be "just like cars" for years.. its a selling feature to them...

Ford and Dodge are the only ones building HD trucks anymore.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
dkf
Post Fiend
dkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to beholddkf is a splendid one to behold
Ground clearence is somewhat of a concern for me. Have had my SD in snow up past the frame several times. Its nice to have some ground clearence on washed out rutted mountain roads too. Also easier to work on the truck when you have wiggle room underneath. I've always hated the way GMs frames stick down way below the bottom of cab, you need some big honking running boards to hide the frame.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.