1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got in an accident... need MI residents help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:06 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got in an accident... need MI residents help

Hey guys, this morning I got into an accident:

For those of you familiar, I was getting on 196 East from Pearl St. In GR. Heading up the ramp parallel to 131 in less than spectacular weather, got up to about 55 (a little fast I know) and a red grand am trying to merge into my lane obviously didnt recognize my truck... and came over with their passenger side rear wheel hitting driver side bumper. They then spun out and I t-boned them still going 55, then they slid off my bumper and around my passenger side somehow ending up behind me.

The grand am is totalled (I guarantee it, the entire car is askew) but I managed to come away with one slightly bent tow hook and an ever so slight pucker in the bumper. I guess the ice caked on the bumper took all the red paint so my chrome didnt have too.

But there is literally no damage to my truck, my back is a little soar, and the other driver is fine. The other driver ended up being a gorgeous girl who realized she had done wrong so was extraordinarily nice to me. But now here's where my luck runs out:

MSP say I'm at fault for this accident because by truck made contact with her rear bumper. No citations were issued but seriously WTF? The only way I could have avoided this accident would have been to intentionally crash into the cement wall, and sorry I scuttled a car before and that was my fault as well... I'm never doing that again.

How the hell do I fight this and make the accident not my fault? My tow hooks left impressions in the side of her car? The initial impact was on her gas cap, and aside from stealing her rear bumper I never rear ended her. Anyone been in this situation before and have advice?

But on a more positive note, I have renamed my truck 'Slayer' and now listen to raining blood ever time I start it. This thing is a real hoss, and at the end of the day all I have is a soar back. Had I been in my old camaro I don;t believe things would've turned out so well for me.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought MI was a no fault state?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:20 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Want any advice outside of the state of MI, that is not legal, or state specfic advice? I might have questions first, but wouldn't mind giving some advice if you want it. Might be tomorrow though, as I've got some stuff to take care of this evening.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:28 PM
motown
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If no tickets where issued, I would think that fault would not matter. As you insurence company would only be concerned about if a ticket was issued.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:00 PM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Wagion
I thought MI was a no fault state?
No fault really is a sham, all it means is insurance rates are higher. In terms of a police report there always is a 'cause' for a collision and the driver the officer deems appropriate is at fault. This is only applicable to your state driving record, which ironically determines the risk insurance companies evaluate you on.

The no fault, in my own experience, only means that your own insurance company picks up your tab in regards to costs of the accident. Of course if the other involved party sues you or their insurance company does the same... then no fault is thrown out the window and the incident goes into the legal system.

The fact there were no citations only means I dont have to pay a fine to anyone other than my insurance company. This isn't the first time I've been thru this scenario, and I want to protest it because it is a steaming crock of b.s. thru and thru.

Also I'll take advice from anyone just really hoping for somethats fought the system

Old 02-10-2010, 10:39 PM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Off topic, but dude, have you ever considered trading that truck in, maybe hiring a priest to perform an exorcism on it, or maybe a Haitian voodoo witchdoctor to drive away the evil spirits that reside within it?

Old 02-10-2010, 11:09 PM
FI460
Cargo Master
Kinda sounds like a bunch of crap to me. Fault can also determine who pays your deductible. IMO sounds like it was unavoidable for you, she made the mistake so she should be at fault. I'd go tooth and nail with the insurance.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:46 PM
bill11012
Modular motor junkie
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redford
Off topic, but dude, have you ever considered trading that truck in, maybe hiring a priest to perform an exorcism on it, or maybe a Haitian voodoo witchdoctor to drive away the evil spirits that reside within it?
Haha, I have seen his other posts and I have to agree.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:37 AM
ppm
New User
Copy of accident report

Get a copy of the accident report from the police department. You are entitled to one, normally for a fee though. In Michigan, its called a UD-10 accident report. Should also ask for copy of the key codes, definately needed to understand the entire report. Rule of thumb, driver #1 on report is at fault or the most responsible. There is a box on report to list if driver was cited and for what. Check the hazardous action box on report, as a driver can be given a hazardous action and not cited. I have seen drivers penalized by insurance companies after accidents. They weren't cited but given a hazardous action by investigating officer.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 AM
firemanpat29
Tuned
We need pictures !! of the girl.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 AM
SGnAZ
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by redford
Originally Posted by bill11012
Haha, I have seen his other posts and I have to agree.
You both are so right about this guys truck

Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 AM
rjfetz1
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by firemanpat29
We need pictures !! of the girl.
Well, since no one was hurt....I second the pictures.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 AM
Wagion
Posting Guru

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Insurance companies are all crooked I agree with you there. In my experience if your in an accident your rates go up period no matter who's at fault.

You totally should not be listed as the driver at fault for any reason though that is BS if she decided to sue you for something that would be a big deal.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 AM
89CrewCab
Mountain Pass
You were merging into the "slow" lane, correct? Was she already in the slow lane? Or did she move into the slow lane at the exact same time you were merging? When you saw she was moving over, did you slow down to let here in, or did you "hold your position"? It may be your fault for failure to merge. BTW, there are lots of accidents where the at fault party is not cited.

Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 AM
5.4L to Freedom
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 89CrewCab
You were merging into the "slow" lane, correct? Was she already in the slow lane? Or did she move into the slow lane at the exact same time you were merging? When you saw she was moving over, did you slow down to let here in, or did you "hold your position"? It may be your fault for failure to merge. BTW, there are lots of accidents where the at fault party is not cited.

I was in my lane and she came over and merged into my bumper... no joke ( I know that sounds like a smart *** thing to say)

The red line is her path and the black is mine, lets pretend I'm the white car at the end of the black line. WHere the 2 intersect is where i whacked her a good one

Quick Reply: Got in an accident... need MI residents help