2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Anyone go from a Minivan to an Expedition and have regrets

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by cecilt
Hi Chuck. Can you elaborate on what you did to upgrade. The one Expy I am looking at does have the Class III(sufficient for a pop up) and 4 pin (not sufficient). Did you upgrade the reciever to Class IV, 7 pin plug, radiator, tranny and oil coolers? Is the wiring there for a 7 pin and all you need is the plug and hook it up or do you have to run wires front to rear. Did you use OEM or aftermarket. Any input is appreciated and for $350 I could overlook this as a necessity for the time being. tks
all Expy's come with a Class IV hitch rated for up to 10,000 lbs. the 4 pin sucks...but you can easily put a 7 pin into there. Ford even has a Factory Upgrade kit you can install

the only difference you are looking at on a 2008+ Expy between the "Heavy Duty" and "Normal" Tow package is the radiator trans cooler. All you need to do is buy and install the "Heavy Duty" trans cooler. it all bolts into place without any modifications required.

a Expy equipped with the heavy duty package is preferred of course, but if you cannot find one, it's pretty easily rectified

Old 02-11-2010, 12:12 AM
2008 Expy El
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Million dollar question. If you only had 2 kids would you still get an EL? I remember back in 2000 when my wife and I were deciding on a Tahoe/Suburban. She thought the Suburban was too big. I said let's drive it anyways. First thing I had her do was pull into a Lowes parking lot(probably a bad decision in retrospect) and try to park it. She about had a panic attack trying to manuver that beast into a spot with cars on each side. Needless to say be bought the Tahoe which she loved.

I would like the EL only for the extra room and longer wheelbase should we ever upgrade to a TT. However, I am scared it will be too big for her just like the Suburban and again a 1 hour test drive will not allow enough time to formalize a size opinion. thanks for your input
That is the million dollar question...... Even with 3 kids we were looking at both the Regular Expy and the El, but I got a great deal on the El and could not pass it up. It is big and sometimes is difficult in those tight spots, but we still love it. It is great on vacations. The wife drives it mostly and she got use to it over time. So to answer your question....I guess we would have probably leaned towards the regular Expy with 2 kids, but we don't regret the El.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:36 AM
98explorerltd
Junior User
Originally Posted by GlassLeather&Wood
Well, the two transmissions are very similar, and still use the same engine. I would assume the 6R80 would fit. But since I have not done it, I do not know. It may come down to how deep your pockets are.

The 6-speed 6R75 is not a bad transmission, but it does seem to have its own little gremlins. I have not had any issues with mine, so far. It has a Mechatronic unit inside the transmission itself. It will learn your driving style and other information over time. Information it collects is saved in the Mechatronic unit in non-volatile memory.
So if the battery is disconnected, the shift data is not completely lost. The 6R75 will simply revert to its last saved data entry.

The tyranny itself is fairly robust, virtually the same as the 4-speed 4R75 it replaced.
On the shifter there is a small circular button with O/D on it. By pushing that button, the 5th and 6th overdrive gears are disabled. The 6R75 is denied access to them.

The 6-speed 6R80 is the new and current transmission used in the Expedition. It is also used in the new 2009-onward Ford F-150 and its many versions including the SVT Raptor.

It has slightly more robust internals and includes tow/haul mode instead of overdrive lock-out. Tow/haul mode alters the transmissions shift logic for uphill/downhill, towing, hauling, etc. Primarily the transmission will hold gears longer before up shifting. This also helps to keep it from hunting.
I think the 07 Mercury mountaineer has 6R60, and i know there are issues with downshifting from 2nd to 1st, or from 1st to 2nd off a stopsign.. has ford addressed/improved these issues in the later generation trannys? i would hesitate to buy based off of our experience with the 07... Frankly, having owned 3 generations of Explorers V8s, and the tranny it had, i almost wish Ford would have let the good one ride out, instead of messing with a 6 speed tranny.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
XFML
New User
My old '98 EB Explorer has the good 302 V8 and 4R70W tranny. They're a robust combination that was in Ford's product line for over 30 years. I think the sealed units, whether the chassis, suspension, or the tyranny require regular maintenance, regardless of what they say. Same goes with the lifetime coolant. I think dirt would find its way inside and mess it up.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
we're a bit off topic on the tranny subject, but you guys are worrying yourselves into a corner needlessly. I was pushing nearly 500 crank torque (about 400 RWTQ) through my F-150 tranny (older version of the 07+ Tranny) and it held up just fine. I know many guys running almost 550 RWTQ without any issues. Ford has really done a good job making their trannies more reliable. And in the bigger vehicles like the Expy, they have it dialed in pretty good IMO

given the choice again, I would buy a EL even if I only had 1 kid. I went through many smaller SUV's early on in my marriage and we were always low on space with just 1 kid. The EL solves that problem 100%. Especially if you lay down the rear seats...then you have almost a 6x5 area for storage

Old 02-12-2010, 01:46 AM
david_jr
Senior User
We went from 02 Chrysler T&C to 08 Expedition Limited 4X4. Love the Expedition in every way (except abysmal gas mileage, but expected worse than the van, but not this bad - avg 12.5) Do miss the extra room behind the 3rd seat, but in front of the 3rd seat is much roomier and more comfortable. Will most likely be keeping the Exp after the lease is up in September as buyout is $20K and it will have about 18K miles on it by then. Would cost too much to upgrade to an EL version as they are running about $36K used and would most likely not have the HD tow package we have now. Not towing anything big right now, but plan to if economy improves.

Bottom line is if room behind 3rd seat is important to you get the EL.

Old 02-12-2010, 05:40 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Million dollar question. If you only had 2 kids would you still get an EL? I remember back in 2000 when my wife and I were deciding on a Tahoe/Suburban. She thought the Suburban was too big. I said let's drive it anyways. First thing I had her do was pull into a Lowes parking lot(probably a bad decision in retrospect) and try to park it. She about had a panic attack trying to manuver that beast into a spot with cars on each side. Needless to say be bought the Tahoe which she loved.

I would like the EL only for the extra room and longer wheelbase should we ever upgrade to a TT. However, I am scared it will be too big for her just like the Suburban and again a 1 hour test drive will not allow enough time to formalize a size opinion. thanks for your input
YES! I have an '04 reg Expy. We came out of a Taurus wagon for that one and love it. I wish I had the EL now even with one kid grown and gone and the other just turning 16. We travel to softball tournaments and carry a ton of gear and usually someone else's kids and gear.

When we trade this Expy it will be just the two of us at home and we'll most likely get a another one and it will be the EL King Ranch / Limited 4x4.

My neighbor has an Odyssey Van and it's been bulletproof. But, you will not regret the getting the Expy.

Tim

Old 02-13-2010, 09:30 PM
cecilt
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well the wife decided the minivan was not worth giving up for an Expedition as her daily driver. I have to admit the Honda Odyssey is one very nice van and the Touring version just adds to the enjoyment. In addition the sliding doors are just not worth giving up while the children are still 7 and 3 1/2. Just too easy. Drives and handles like a car and a lot of room.

So, added was a 2003 EB, 4x4, with DVD, nav, 2nd row captains chairs, HD tow package, Advance Trac/Stability Control etc. this will be used to tow our popup and to drive in bad weather and take hunting in the fall. Thanks for all the comments and advice. Just another ride in the stable now.