Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled Codes

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:29 PM
Redneck1465
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pulled Codes

I have a 94 F150 strait six with the five speed. Took her out today on a relatively long trip and got a check engine light flash at me a few times. When I got home I pulled out the scanner and for the KOEO I pulled a 332 Insufficient EGR flow detected and for the KOER I got a 538 Insufficient RPM change dynamic test. Any help with these codes in what I need to do to fix them would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:33 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 225 Likes on 176 Posts
A 332 is not a KOEO code and you did not say anything about an KOER test so I will gues it is a CM code.
You also have the wrong meaning of the 332 code.

DN110 Continuous Memory DTC 332 indicates the EGR valve did not open with the engine stabilized and the EVR solenoid duty cycle present sometime during vehicle operation.

Possible causes:
Obstructed or cracked hose to EGR valve.
Damaged EGR valve.
Damaged EVR solenoid harness.

But if it was during the KOER tests then it means:
DN40 DTC 332 indicates that the EGRP sensor input did not change after the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) commanded the EGR valve to open.

Possible Causes:
Damaged EGRP (EVP) sensor/EGR valve assembly.
Damaged vacuum line(s).
Damaged EGRV solenoid.

The 538 is only for the KOER test and most the the time it means you did not run the test right.
A brief snap of the throttle may not be sufficient to pass this test. Be sure to go to WOT and return.
Rerun Engine Running Self-Test. Be sure operator is familiar with the Engine Running format which proceeds as follows:

Activate Engine Running Self-Test.
Start engine.
ID Code start of test.
Dynamic Response code 1 (0); perform brief WOT.
Testing over.
DTC output begins.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Redneck1465
Posting Guru
I did the scan twice and recieved the KOEO Code of 332 each. The mac scanner said it was a KOEO Slow code.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM
subford
Fleet Owner
Received 225 Likes on 176 Posts
Originally Posted by Redneck1465
I did the scan twice and recieved the KOEO Code of 332 each. The mac scanner said it was a KOEO Slow code.
There is not a KOEO 332 code in the 1994 F-series Shop Manual.
The only 332 codes in 1994 F-series are for KOER & CM.
Better get another scanner or use a paper clip.

The 332 code index for all the 1994 Fords:

/

Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Can't we assume that if the engine was off, the 332 is a memory code and get on with diagnosing and correcting the problem instead of worrying about what category to put it in?

The code shows the EGR valve did not open intermittently, which is supported by the check engine light coming on and going back off while you were driving. It could be a cracked vacuum hose as Bill posted above, which could include a problem with the vacuum reservoir or its supply lines. It could also mean a sticky EGR valve, but usually once they are stuck, they will not free themselves on their own. It could also point to a faulty EGR valve position sensor (EVP) (I'm not sure how this applies if a DPFE sensor is used instead).

Old 02-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Redneck1465
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006
Can't we assume that if the engine was off, the 332 is a memory code and get on with diagnosing and correcting the problem instead of worrying about what category to put it in?

The code shows the EGR valve did not open intermittently, which is supported by the check engine light coming on and going back off while you were driving. It could be a cracked vacuum hose as Bill posted above, which could include a problem with the vacuum reservoir or its supply lines. It could also mean a sticky EGR valve, but usually once they are stuck, they will not free themselves on their own. It could also point to a faulty EGR valve position sensor (EVP) (I'm not sure how this applies if a DPFE sensor is used instead).
Thanks the only reason I brought it up was because I wasnt sure if it would make a difference. If it was a vacuum line wouldnt it run a little rough? Just trying to narrow it down a little to make sure I can figure out whats going on. Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:05 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
The vacuum lines that feed the EGR are pretty small diameter hard plastic, so even if one was broken completely, the air leak likely wouldn't be big enough to make a difference in how the engine runs. These plastic lines get brittle over time and can snap easily. Just have a good look around the engine bay for any broken plastic hoses.

You can also test the vacuum line between the EVR solenoid and the EGR valve with a hand-held vacuum pump, or you can jumper the ground side of the EVR to ground momentarily to check for EGR valve operation. The hand-held pump would be able to show any leaks in the lines if it is unable to hold the vacuum after pumping.