Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Updates on the 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Updates on the 6.0

Hello, I am a new member here. I do not want to troll or start any flame wars. I currently drive a 05 Dodge 3500 dually diesel with a 6 speed. It is my second modified Cummins motor. I enjoy driving my diesel so much that it has rubbed off onto my wife. We had a suburban, but we let it go after the miles racked up. We would like a SUV type of vehicle to add to our stable and we would like it to be a diesel, hench my search for an Excursion. Through my previous knowlege of diesels, I am aware of the 6.0, the lawsuits, and such. I have been looking for a good 7.3 but because of the age and mileage and conditions, I have been starting to look at 6.0. I know my desire for a little more power will mean, a chip/programmer, exhaust, and an intake. If I am learning correctly, a 6.0 can take some power adders and be realible if you add ARP head bolts and get an egr delete is this correct? Can a slightly modded 6.0 be realible?

Thanks for your assistance, and I hope to officially join your club with ownership soon.

Hunter 9905

Old 02-05-2010, 07:37 PM
BigRy
Elder User
You should post motor related questions in the proper forum which would be the 6.0 forum. But as a starter, you are correct. If you want more power the ARP head studs are a definite. And while its getting done do the EGR delete.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
You will likely find a 6.0 in better shape and with lower miles. The 6.0 has more hp potential but like you said once that you do mods on a 6.0 they can have issues! If you are going to run tunes on a 6.0 head studs and EGR removal would be a good idea! But aI would wait until it breaks if you go this route! I own a 6.0 with 75K miles and no HG or EGR cooler issues, but I do not run a tuner! Good luck hunting down an Ex they are getting harder to find these days!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:11 AM
BigRy
Elder User
Originally Posted by scottman70
You will likely find a 6.0 in better shape and with lower miles. The 6.0 has more hp potential but like you said once that you do mods on a 6.0 they can have issues! If you are going to run tunes on a 6.0 head studs and EGR removal would be a good idea! But aI would wait until it breaks if you go this route! I own a 6.0 with 75K miles and no HG or EGR cooler issues, but I do not run a tuner! Good luck hunting down an Ex they are getting harder to find these days!
I would agree 110%. I dont run a tuner on my truck at all and have yet to have any issues. 71K miles and only an EGR failure at 40K.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:41 AM
katiesdad7
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 6.0's are not as bad as they used to be. A lot of the issues were with the dirty diesel. Now with the cleaner diesel they are a lot better. I look at the 6.0 as running about 80% of its potential and 7.3 as running about 50%. You can get 20% out of the 6.0 with no issues.

I don't know how many 6.0's were produced in all of Fords line up but its got to be a ****load. Now how many of them had major issues? We will never know. Remember, on these types of fourms you hear mostly about the problems.